Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Holdfast, Oct 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

I cannot "deal" with him, I have no powers to... and you may be right. If you are, aren't you doing a bit of unofficial modding yourself? I am not the only non mod who has addressed Hermiod, I come after a long line, beginning with RoJoHen, followed by Pingfah, Camelopard, then Sidious618... I would tend to think you are guilty of "singling out" yourself.

Edit: Posted the above before I saw Kestra's own edit to take it to PM.

2. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

What I mean is that at least if you (the general you) are being outright hostile about it, you are being honest about it. Honest that you're a sexist jerk, but still honest. All of the obsessing over women here can sometimes come off as an attitude of just seeing women as sexual objects, which gets pretty insulting after a while. But you can't call any specific person on it because they were just joking or they didn't mean any harm by it. Yet it fosters an atmosphere of seeing women in a certain light that is hurtful. So in that sense it is worse to me, because not only do you feel objectified but no one's even being honest about it and you can't really bring it up because they will just say you are being too sensitive about it.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry to inform you of this but no matter your gender and no matter your age you see attractive people in a sexual light. It's a fact (unless you're asexual). So, no, if someone comments on Jessica Biel or George Clooney they are not being a sexist jerk. That's a ridiculous, and yes overly sensitive, way of looking at things. It's complaints like this that cause the real ones to be brushed away because wolf has been cried too many times.

4. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Especially when we're talking about film stars (or I'm shit out of luck and about to get banned for my posts in the Karl Urban thread in Trek XI - much as I love him for his mind...)

I'd say a tighter line needs to be drawn when refering to other posters. And that goes for men -> women, women -> men, men -> men, women -> women. Because I've got to tell you all, for all that a lot of people are saying there's too much men -> women sexism, this has got to be the most "equal" board I've ever been on for the range of sexual comments that are made.

Here's a thought (and yes, I know I said I'd shut up last time I meandered on, will do this time, promise :) )

Start a new pictures thread. Open it with the rules that there are to be no overtly sexual comments. See how that goes for helping create a new atmosphere here.

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Yet my WWRJD T-shirts remain unsold. Where's the justice ? ;)

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I think that's a good suggestion. I would also suggest when we start the thread perhaps putting the "no sexual comments" or "read OP before responding" in the title so people who come in to the thread when it's been going a long time know what the rules are.

7. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

No shit.

8. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Bloody hell it doesn't. I pointed out how taking a snippet of anything and making it stand alone can totally change the meaning.

9. sidious618

So you're just not going to address what I said about my quote?

10. T'Bonz

Probably not 'til Sunday. I'm out-of-town and supposed to be on vacation!

11. sidious618

Okay.

12. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Would it be sexist for me to say I have a very strong urge for Romulan Dark Ale? :) ;)

13. Kirk's_Tights

Kirk's_Tights Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

....ehhhhh, I'm kind torn on this one.

I tend to take the net far less seriously, I guess, which is why most things don't bother me. If I posted a pic and someone said something alone the lines of rape or whatever, I wouldn't really care. I just don't see why people need to be so sensitive about the internet. It's a place where people escape and try to have some fun.

Is an issue like rape crossing the line? I'd say it would be if someone was raped irl and someone was making fun of that fact but if someone says to me "I'd rape you" after I posted a picture, I tend to take it as just another way of someone saying "you're hot" (I am not saying I am hot, I am just using this as an example) because I highly doubt they would actually mean they would find me and rape me. Even if they did, I'd beat the shit out of them anyways so no worries.

In all honestly, I will of course repect the rules but I also think people should lighten up. It's just the internet. People didn't really mind what was being said about a certain Failbat in TNZ but they care about those quotes? I know TNZ is a different zone but still, I think far worse things were said.

Just my opinion *shrug*

14. Teelie

Teelie Vice Admiral Admiral

The internet is not the wild, wild west like some people pretend it is. There are places on it like that, but just like the real world you have to follow the rules of wherever you happen to be. In Misc there is a limit to what you're allowed. Scroll down to TNZ and it's much looser. Go to some other board and you can post whatever you like, illegal, immoral, unethical, just plain wrong, no one will care. Obviously TBBS is not one of those places.

The board has rules that govern it for a reason. If you can't abide them, go elsewhere. That's why I don't post things here I would on another board and on some boards I wouldn't post stuff I could get away with in this one. There is a place for everyone but not everyone is for every place.

15. T'Bonz

Let's just say that it's fortunate for you that you're not at Shore Leave this weekend. All the trouble over this!

A Romulan kick in the nuts might ruin your weekend. ;)

16. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

:lol: My most humble apologies.

Have fun at Shore Leave. Maybe next year I'll join and buy you a beer, I'm sure I owe you one. Several, actually. :D

17. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Let's look at the rape comment in context:

There you go. There's my rampant sexism. Ohhhh no. Ooga booga, I'm keeping the proud female down.

18. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Both Squiggy and Sidious have been taken out of context. Not much you can do with Garak's posts - they were exactly what they appear to be!

I think using the quotes from the Sarah Palin thread has directed too close attention to that thread, where the issue really is that posters have been complaining to the moderators and admins about what they see as upsetting content in a lot of other threads.

If it was just the Sarah Palin thread, T'Bonz would be kicking butt and taking names, but there wouldn't be this thread.

19. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

*sigh* I'll get our purses then. :lol:

Yeah, I even started to think back about what I've posted about Chris, Karl and Zach in the ST XI forum. Even I slip up at times and have to reigh myself in.

20. sidious618

I think we need more examples if we want to discuss things in depth, y'know? Does not necessarily have to be a post copied and pasted but we need something more to go on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.