Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

I always liked young Mel Gibson's acting in movies like Lethal Weapon, but the problem is that I have trouble hearing young Mel without that half-Aussie accent he had back then. But then, Calhoun's an alien, right? Do the books ever mention the possibility of him having maybe a hint of an accent? If so, casting young Gibson would be even more perfect.

2. The_Emperor

The_Emperor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Awesome manip! I don't suppose I could trouble you for one or two more, though? I'd love to see a manip of this pic.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/137/137974/folders/264157/2207548Buliwyf.jpg

As for this one, I think it'd be funny to put Antonio Banderas in a Starfleet Security uniform. ;)

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/137/137974/folders/264157/2207549Buliwyf1.jpg

But if you could do a manip of the first one for me, at least, then rest assured that I will forever be in your debt, sir. :)

3. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^This probably isn't the best thread for photomanip requests, but in any case, I'll see what I can do with it and PM you.

4. new_mercury

new_mercury Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

When I read the Vanguard books for some reason I always picture Edward James Olmos (BG's Adama) as Commodore Reyes and Christian Slater (as he was in Interview with a Vampire) as Pennington. I can't explain why. I just do!

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think Dave and Marco originally intended Reyes to be based on Edward James Olmos, but then when Galactica came along they changed it to Tommy Lee Jones.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I watched The Bourne Ultimatum yesterday (so damn good) and after doing the obligatory 'Wouldn't Matt Damon make a good Captain Kirk?' ruminating, I got to thinking that Scott Glenn might make a good Elias Vaughan. Anyone agree?

7. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Could he act the role? Probably. But he's the wrong physical type by far.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I definitely can see Glenn playing Vaughn based on his role in The Bourne Ultimatum. As for not being the physical type for it, people said the same thing about Kelsey Grammer as The Beast in X-Men 3 and he turned out to be the only good thing about the movie (that and the tattoo scene with Magneto).

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

nope, gotta disagree with you there. Iceman finally icing up as he fought Pyro was rockin and so was the entire Danger Room sequence.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Okay, those two bits were good. But that was the problem with the movie. It has several good moments, but as a movie as a whole, it sucked.

But that's neither here or there for this thread. :p

11. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

I found that enjoying it solely on the merit of a "popcorn" action movie was quite satisfying.
    Hey, you know, I bet that guy who played the Professor, if somewhat younger, could play that captain in "The Buried Age." ;)
    (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^ I loved it when, in MJF's TNG/X-Men team-up "Planet X", Picard "meets" Xavier in the holo-deck and notices the resemblace! One of the most unintentionally funny moments in all of Trek Lit. :guffaw:

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And wasn't this even before the movies? I swore I heard someone say that somewhere.

14. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It didn't take any great feat of prescience to make the comparison. Both characters are stuffy, white, bald leaders.

15. Christopher

What makes you think it was unintentional?

And yes, it did predate the movies, as did Diane Duane's X-Men novel in which she distinctly wrote Xavier with Patrick Stewart's speech patterns (I think he even said "Make it so" at one point). I think everyone in the world who was a fan of both TNG and the X-Men had pegged Patrick Stewart as the ideal Xavier all along. I know I first had the idea over a dozen years ago. (And Bryan Singer is a big Trek fan, after all.)

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I definitely get a TLJ 'vibe' when I read any dialogue with him speaking...And to a lesser extent, I get the same with Pennington/Ewan McGregor.

17. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Listen up, people, we've got a Shedai on the loose. I want you to search every starship, starbase, starport, starshack and Star Jones in a twelve parsec radius."

"You mean you want us to conduct a star search, boss?"

"Cosmo, don't make me hurt you."

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Well, yeah, I was going by the fact that it predated Stewart being cast in X-Men. But if it was intentionally funny, that makes it even better.

I've never read Diane Duane's X-men book, but I'll look for it the next time I'm at then used bookstore (or maybe at amazon markeplace as it takes less gas to get there. ;))

And you can count me among the numbers who thought Stewart would make a great Xavier, but at the time, Inever thought that in a million years it would ever actually happen. :cool:

BTW, what happened to diane duane anyway? She was posting here regularly for a short while and then pulled a Marco on us. :(

19. Christopher

^^Judging from the comments on Diane Duane's blog, she's been extremely busy with work, family matters, and health issues in recent months.

20. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

REYES
    Xiong, what are you doing?

XIONG
    Thinking.

REYES
    Well, go think me up some coffee and a donut. With sprinkles.