Had the Maquis Narrative Continued?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Emperor Norton, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Captain Captain

One of the things that interests me about DS9 is that the Maquis were on the verge of declaring independence, and then that got totally annihilated by the Dominion war, both within the universe and in the DS9 narrative.

Let's handwave out of existence their decimation. What would have happened had that not been stunted, and the Maquis narrative continued. And you can discuss this from an in-universe perspective or one for the show as a series; I'm personally more interested in the former.

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I imagine after the Cardassians sided with the Dominion, the Maquis would just reincorporate with Starfleet.

3. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd assume the Federation would finagle granting them independence so they wouldn't have to actively deal with them threatening the peace. Starfleet has to prevent Federation citizens from attacking the Cardassian Union, not citizens of the Maquis Empire from reconquering a portion of the Cardassian Union.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The Dominion may have wiped out the active Maquis body, but did that still solve the issue why the Maquis was created to begin with? After the Dominion War, what's the reason the Maquis wouldn't be rebuilt?

One of the many things Voyager didn't dive into, even though it should have. Did Chakotay, Torres, etc... all forget why they joined the Maquis? What would they do after they returned to the Alpha Quadrant?

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the Dominion wuld make that distinction?

I doubt given the devastion wrought upon Cardassia Prime, and the military losses incurred over a war which lasted a couple of years that the Cardassian Union would be in much of position to make any demands.

6. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

Even if the Maqui survived the Dominion War, the Federation--now allied with the Cardassians--may not have been able to recognize their bid for independence. The Maquis might then have turned on the Federation, as well as the Cardassians, and sought help from another or other powers.

7. Emperor Norton

What would you call the space-country? Could we go all Civil War mode and call it the Confederation of Planets or something?

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The Maquis existed to fight the Cardies harassing them in the DMZ. After the war, there is no DMZ and the Cardies would probably either be gone or in no position to keep on fighting. The Feds would be willing to let the Maquis do whatever they wanted as long as they weren't harming anyone.

They joined the Maquis to fight the Cardies, and some just were Mercenaries in it for the fighting and didn't have any ideals. Problem is, that doesn't mean much when the DMZ and the Cardies were 75 years away. There wouldn't be much point in fighting the Fleeters when the Fleeters weren't even their real enemy (the Maquis didn't want to fight the Feds if avoided, and the Feds didn't want to fight the Maquis unless forced into it).

Why didn't they care more about their fates back in the AQ? They were too busy surviving day to day to worry about that, and if it came down to it they might've just asked to be let off when VOY was getting closer to home. As it is, they participated in enough good acts that the Feds would be fine pardoning them for any crimes they committed (and they weren't even a particularly violent or criminal Maquis cell).

9. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Galactic South shall rise again!

They get home and are immediately reminded that the rest of the Maquis are all dead or finishing out their prison sentences, and their homes and families in the DMZ were most likely all killed by the Dominion. Even if they get pardoned and don't have to report to penal colonies for a short sentence, where do they go, what do they do? I'm sure some of them will keep their Starfleet commissions, but what about everyone else?

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The Maquis was the result of a fundamental dissatisfaction with how the Federation worked. That doesn't go away just because the Cardassians got their asses kicked.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The Maquis were more the result of the Cardies not honoring their end of the agreement and continuing to assault them. The people in the DMZ knew that the worlds were contested all along but settled them anyways when the Feds warned them that they wouldn't be able to protect them, they themselves agreed to give up Fed protection to stay in the DMZ (without complaint) and then when the Cardies attacked again they knew they had to take matters into their own hands.

Their enemies were Cardassia, they weren't going out of their way to antagonize the Feds unless they absolutely had to (and the Feds didn't want to have to fight them either).

Take out Cardassia, and the major sticking point is gone and neither the Maquis nor the Feds have any reason to keep fighting one another.

12. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Id have liked seeing the rise of independent maquis alliance... thoughts?

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

If the Maquis hadn't been annihilated in the war I somehow doubt the Feds, Klingons and Romulans would have given back the territory they won from the Cardassians, nor would the Cardassians have been strong enough to hold any planet except their own. The Maquis colonies would again be firmly in Federation territory and the conversation would have been something like:

Maquis: "We want independence."
    Federation: "No."
    Maquis: "Ok. So we're just going to be hanging out in our new independent nation. Not like you tax us or anything. And you're certainly not going to kill us for not going along with you. So you just go on thinking we're with you ok thx."

And even if the Federation did cede that territory back to the Cardassians in a sheer gesture of goodwill, the conversation would be like:

Maquis: "We want independence."
    Cardassia: "No way, there is now way we could..."
    Klingons and Romulans: (Hanging out at Cardassian border)
    Cardassia: "New orders! We're withdrawing from all Maquis territories in a strategic move to, umm, shorten our supply lines!"
    Maquis: "Sounds good to me."
    Cardassia: "Federation, buddy! We're friends now, right? A nice big show of force near our borders would be super."

14. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

How about Freedonia?

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Exactly, it's win-win. The Feds let their colony worlds do whatever they wanted anyways (just look at Turkana IV) so why would the Maquis be foolish enough to antagonize them? The Feds just leave them be, and the Maquis still get to do what they want.

16. Emperor Norton

I'm too tired to make the wacky "Duck Soup" "Just Wait Till I Get Through With It" joke I would otherwise make.

I have thought about it, though. Going off of the idea of the Union and Confederacy, and the Confederacy bearing a name similar to the Articles of Confederation and believing in ideas closer to that than the US Constitution, etc...

What about something based off the name "Coalition of Planets", which existed before the UFP? The name itself would be perfect except it's exactly the same.

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Like most secessions:

The People's Democratic Republic Of Totally Unfixed Elections, Seriously We Mean It

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Or League of non-aligned worlds...wait a minute.

My guess is that a writer would have named the new Maquis leader named Bundy...

Now according to that post TNG comic where warp travel was damaged by the Omega particle, we saw a de facto return of Maquis thinking--shades of THE POSTMAN.

19. Emperor Norton

For names...

Coalition of Free Worlds?

United Coalition of Planets?