Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Daneel, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved the trailers, both of them. However, it seems as if the biggest part of the movie has been told in the trailer. Why they are going out there, something there wants to go to Earth for a bad thing, we see what looks like the Derelict and the Pilot, we see Prometheus crashing into it as if it wants to prevent it from reaching Earth. It gives the distinct impression that this ship is indeed the Derelict from Alien, and this planet is LV426, that this ship carries Eggs.

2. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Anything that can negate the awful theatrical experience I had with Alien 3 would be awesome. But that's the bare minimum, and I anticipate more than just the bare minimum after seeing this trailer. :techman:

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah they do seem to be showing us a lot, but this is one case where I'm actually less interested in the story itself than in how Scott executes the story.

After all, the original Alien didn't have the most original or unique story either. It was really the incredible atmosphere and gritty sense of detail that makes that movie so memorable, and I'm hoping that's the same case here.

4. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Forbes has an interesting article today:

Sci-Fi Needs Ridley Scott's "Prometheus" to be More than a Big Movie

says a little but should say a lot more... weak but the article had potential.

5. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Disbelief can be a good or bad thing depending on if it's suspended or not. The set up and pay off for Aliens raised more questions than it answered. I fear this is gonna answer more questions than it raises.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay... you're just complaining to be complaining now. I guess that's your thing. Just wait until the movie comes out before psychoanalyzing it.

7. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I'm actually curious to see Children of Men now.

Regarding this film, I'm suspicious like I'm suspicious of any big-budget Hollywood effects film and will probably wait for video download.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Children of Men is a good movie. It reminds me a lot of the Charlton Heston sci-fi stuff like Soylent Green. In fact, you could easily switch out Clive Owen for Charlton and the movie would still work.

9. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tertiary material like this is meant to get you excited for the film and is meant to fill in the gaps a little bit. Errors aren't unheard of.

Its what AVP should have been the first place, presumably the missing piece of the puzzle.

10. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

"...it was a derelict spacecraft, it wasn't from there..."
    - Ripley; Aliens

I'd like to see how Ridley Scott writes himself out of that one!

:p

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me too.

Not necessarily. Perhaps Peter is just picking up where Charles left off, as it were. There's nothing seen here that categorically denies Charles' existence, although I wouldn't expect this film to mention him (different writers?).

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The same way Gene handled Spock smiling in "The Cage".

13. Mr. Laser Beam

And who's to say Ripley didn't just make a mistake?

14. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Oh come on - Why all this contortion to fit this and AvP (of all films) into some grand plot. Do you think Ridley Scott really cares for what any AvP or any film maker did of the alien sequels?

No... The only connection will be to film "Alien" - if at all. There will still be PLENTY of contradictions in the films. It is clear that Scott is not viewing this as a direct sequel or prequel to the film. A lot of details will not match up. For one, LV-426(?) looks like a completely different planet. The technology does not match, nor will the timeline.

Ridley is merely making a film using a lot of the Alien ideas and designs, but not the 'xenomorph' itself. Trying to make it something more than that will just cause you headaches. Enjoy it for what it will be.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Her belief may have simply been based on evidence which indicated that the derelict crashed on the planetoid. That's something that seems like it's going to happen in Prometheus. The Nostromo crew didn't have the freedom to e.g. process samples brought back from the derelict, say for isotope comparisons with the planetoid, because their science officer was compromised.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

I have no idea what Ridley Scott cares for. :shrug:

Of course there's almost always contradictions in a long running series like this, but part of the fun is inventing ways to explain them. This may be "fanwank", but so what.

Even if Peter Weyland is explained as being the head *and the founder* of Weyland Industries, that's not necessarily a contradiction. Peter's obviously got one hell of an ego, so he probably just downplayed Charles' existence altogether and made himself look more important. I'm sure that happens a lot in real life corporations.

17. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Well enjoy your fanwank then!

18. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

He's a replicant I tell you. He broke Charles' pinky then killed him.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've yet to see any evidence that the xenomorph will not be in Prometheus.

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral