“Defying Gravity" 13-episode ABC sci-fi astronaut space series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Fucking hell people, can't you watch the show before judging it. Grey's in space could very well be marketing speak to get people to watch/networks to pick it up.

2. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Okay.

3. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

:techman: Helpful bus is a classic. :D

4. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I agree. If it turns out to be nothing more than Grey's in space, then I stop watching it. But I will give it a shot, first.

Sean

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well we could, but what's the fun of that? :rommie:

They sucker the Grey's audience in, they don't see soap & sex like they want, and the ratings crash. Baaaad strategy there.

And meanwhile, their marketing is scaring off the audience that might stick with the thing - assuming that the soap & sex fears are unfounded. Even worse strategy.

6. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Re: ?Defying Gravity" 13-episode ABC sci-fi astronaut space series

I have the perfect thing for you. See the thread in the General Trek forum called 'This Ain't Star Trek XXX" on the DVD/Blu-ray they have a non-sex feature of them acting for 22 minutes.

7. Temis the Vorta

Have we know Livingston's character's name before now? It's Maddux Donner. Not sure how I feel about that. :rommie: Have these people never heard about the Donner Party? This show might be more interesting than we expect.

S'funny, reading that description I'm getting a Virtuality flashback. Lots of pretty people, hunky lead actor/captain, Eyal Podell, the ships' doctor, reminds me of Omar Metwally, the ships' doctor.

However, it looks like Ron isn't actually playing the captain. Instead, the black guy is the actual captain. I guess they wouldn't also make the black guy the lead character, but it's something other than the standard boring "white-male-lead-as-captain" routine.

PS, is this the "Lust in Space" promo that sci fi fans were supposed to be avoiding? Faint hope that ad will get them anywhere. Who the heck is watching TV in the dead of summer?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  8. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm just saying I find it silly that the end result of having four men and four women in an enclosed space would naturally mean that they would each pair up and have boff each other.

But sure, 5 year mission and all that, so shit happens. But it just calls for contrived drama... like on Virtuality where guy A finds out his wife is having cybersex with the captain.

Then again, I guess that's why people still watch Big Brother.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Re: “Defying Gravity" 13-episode ABC sci-fi astronaut space series

What's budget got to do with it? It's a matter of storytelling choices. It's a matter of doing the research. It doesn't cost any more money to write a scientifically authentic line of exposition than it does to write a sentence loaded with random technobabble. It doesn't cost any more money to do a 15-second CGI shot of a spaceship moving realistically in space than it would to do a 15-second CGI shot of it banking and swooping like a fighter jet. It would probably cost less in terms of rendering time to animate a realistic vacuum explosion than to do one of those stupid, cliched roiling orange fireballs, because it would be over a whole lot quicker. (A realistic nuclear explosion in space would basically just be a single frame of blinding white light -- what could be cheaper?) Heck, most genre shows pay money to hire science consultants and then ignore most of what the consultants tell them. They'd get better use of their money if they just listened to the consultants.

Actually I don't think the guy found out.

10. 24thcenstfan

24thcenstfan Commander Red Shirt

I don't have high hopes for this series at all. It seems a little too much like "Virtuality" minus the virtual part. Since I didn't like "Virtuality", that doesn't inspire me to watch.

I will most likely end up watching the first episode (just to give it a chance).

11. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They showed him "enhancing the footage" or whatever so that he could hear the captain say "I love you".

I like a good love triangle as much as someone else... but leave that stuff for hormonal highschoolers, not supposedly professional astronauts.

12. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Yeah, it's totally unrealistic.

13. Temis the Vorta

If the love triangles on this show involve psychotic behavior and Depends, I might just relent with my no-romance-in-sci-fi attitude. :D

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was wondering when this one would come up.

15. romulus

romulus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah no sex and soap opera stuff.

Much better to stick with the tried and true ways that made Star Trek, BSG, B5, Heroes, and other shows like that a huge success. We are not into that try new things kinda of stuff, that's why we stay home and post on the internet and watch TV....;)

16. Temis the Vorta

How is sex and soap opera a new thing in sci fi?

Not a BSG viewer, huh? :rommie:

17. romulus

romulus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What, aren't you one of the ones not wanting that in this new show?

Yeah I watched BSG, after watching people here praise it DS9 style, I gave it a try. It was pretty good not as good as some people tried to make it out to be but worth watching and trying to keep up with once I had caught up.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: “Defying Gravity" 13-episode ABC sci-fi astronaut space series

Doesn't look like it from the trailer.

That's a broad assortment of shows right there, and one might as well say "the last time we had a show that wasn't Star Trek or Babylon 5 was Firefly" it's a fairly meaningless list.

Again, I don't see any of what was intriguing about Virtuality in the ad for this show. They're selling it as a pretty unimaginative show about shallow relationships between putatively attractive ciphers.

19. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

premiere date

August 2 Sunday is the 2-hour premiere.

After seeing another promo tonight i see it does not look like the next TOS but it has potential to raise sci-fi awareness and popularity on TV and on the 7 broadcast networks.
    i don't care if it is a partial soap opera. they have to deal with space, EVA, and a pressurized ship. It can't all be he said she said and sex.

20. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: premiere date

Don't forget, in the U.S. the pilot episode airs Sunday at 9 to 11 pm EST. I haven't seen much about this show yet but I'm going to give it a try.