Neophyte CG Trek Ship Design

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Admiral Buzzkill, May 24, 2008.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is something else I've been noodling with - basically, a big exercise in personal nostalgia.

This is the very first mesh I ever finished, using Imagine 3.0 running under MS-DOS on a PC clone in 1994-1995. It was intended to be a "Next Generation" version of a Constitution class ship.

I eventually lost all the mesh files, transferring from one machine to another, but I had done a pretty complete set of blueprints in CorelDraw. So a few months ago I decided to recreate the mesh from those drawings.

I've improved the modeling as much as I could, but deliberately haven't improved or changed the design of the ship at all. So it's a bit of a monstrosity.

The modeling is done, but only a little of the texturing - and has no lighting yet. I'll finish and release it over at www.foundation3d.com sometime in the next few weeks.

First, the only surviving render of the original mesh, which I used as part of the cover for a set of blueprints that were sold at conventions:

[​IMG]

And the new mesh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

137th Gebirg - you have an elevation view of this ship at your Starship Database site, scanned from one of the blueprint packets.

Last edited: May 24, 2008
    Atolm likes this.
  2. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

What a difference a decade in processing speed makes.

3. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

That is one of the most beautiful ships I have ever seen. Very well done sir, well done indeed.

4. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I really like it. The classic shape and lines of the ship work well in a TNG built era. I like how you didn't feel the need to make a giant ship, just because some feel that newer must mean bigger (like Ford and why they are cutting back production now- zing!!!).

Have you came up with any specs for the ship? A history of this class and so on would be nice.

5. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

It looks very good, Dennis! I actually had a similar idea the other day – only the other way around: What would a Galaxy class ship look like in the 23rd century?

6. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the saucer rim a lot!

7. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

Rick Sternbach's Baton Rouge has quite similar proportions and arrangement to the Galaxy.

8. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

Very nice! All the elements fit together well. This would make a great 24th century light or medium cruiser.

9. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

Another beauty. Would you happen to have any shots of the new mesh against a cool background? I'm always looking for new Trek wallpaper. :)

Also, is this a smaller ship that the TOS Enterprise? Do you have a comparison shot?

Thanks!

10. Admiral Buzzkill

This is virtually identical in size to the TOS Enterprise, though it has four or five fewer decks.

No cool pictures yet, since the texturing and lighting isn't done.

11. Irishman

Irishman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is amazing. She looks as good and as reasonable as anything the developed for the screen.

12. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

What do the nacelle pylons look like in profile views and from behind? Just curious.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Here are the plans:

[​IMG]

I borrowed the scan back from www.shipschematics.net; since I'm the original artist I hope they don't have a problem with that.

14. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

Are you open to minor suggestions? I've mentioned this in other threads and your ship looks like the perfect candidate for it.

I always thought it would be cool to have a rear firing photon torpedo bay right at the same level on the neck as the forward firing bays. In other words, just extend the current bay to the rear. One of the advantages is that one crew could man both forward and rear firing bays (as opposed to having a completely separate crew on another part of the ship.) I also envision the side docking hatches could easily be used to "reload" torpedos.

Just thought I'd mention it, it looks like you could create one with very little effort.

In any event, I'm anxiously awaiting the final version! :techman:

15. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:guffaw:

16. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'd also reccomend making the engine pylons a little longer to give the nacelles 100% clearance from the primary hull. But it's a really cool design, looks like a wonderful marriage between the Connie and the Ambassador.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions, guys. This one is a fossil, though; I'm going to texture and light and release it as is.

18. NiteTrek

NiteTrek Captain

And a beautiful fossil it is. Would have loved to see it on screen. Please let us know when it's released, my desktop will be waiting. :)

19. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

you designed this? cool :cool:. I always thought this was a cool version of the connie when i saw it a while back
    could i use either the saucer or the 2ndry hull for a ship i'm working on?

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Sure, once I release it.

Various download sites have rules regarding the meshes they host. My own rule, however, is that any mesh that I put out on the Internet is public domain - though I really appreciate an acknowledgment on the images created, as a courtesy.