Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

John Oliver will be back as Professor Duncan according to The Hollywood Reporter.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

If Jonathan Banks' performance on Community is anything like his performance as Sr Wyatt on Parks & Rec it'll be amazing.

Great to see John Oliver back.

3. shivkala

^
    "We're a Twizzler's family."

4. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

Yay! Glad that Professor Duncan will return!

5. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    The tricky thing about Jeff/Abed interactions is that Abed requires a bit more patience than most of the characters. And Jeff is so often defined by his complete lack of patience for other people. That's why it's been rare for there to be many Jeff/Abed episodes, or even Jeff/Abed scenes. (I'm thinking of the end of "Contemporary American Poultry," the end of "Critical Film Studies," "Introduction to Film," and the Jeff/Abed-in-Troy's-body stuff in "Basic Human Anatomy.")

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9yfQOdkqn4[/yt]

He's also a diabetic.

I suspect "homosexual" is a gross oversimplification of Dean Pelton's orientation.

Yeah. It's kinda like Red Dwarf Series VII where Chris Barrie only did half the season. He only ended up being gone for 4 episodes, so what was the point of leaving?

I really liked "Heroic Origins" & "Advanced Introduction to Finality." I don't think it kills the darkest timeline at all. I think it's just a sweet example of how Jeff has changed over the years. Old Jeff would never have gone quite so deeply into an elaborate fantasy like that. And the whole thing was just for Jeff's own mental benefit anyway.

I thought that Season 4 was mostly worth it. It was a little rocky for the 1st half. "Conventions of Space & Time" was really the only episode from the 1st half that's up to the quality of the 1st 3 seasons. "Alternative History of the German Invasion" was also OK. But I think the show found its groove again once it got to "Herstory of Dance." (Personal trivia: I'd never heard of Sophie B. Hawkins before this. Now, I made sure to buy one of her albums.) And "Basic Human Anatomy" is not only a funny episode but also has a great deal of heart to it.

I generally say good riddance to Pierce. He didn't really have anything to contribute to the show after Season 2. But, occasionally, I'd see brief glimpses of the Pierce I actually kinda liked from Season 1. I liked how he helped Britta in "Herstory of Dance." (Of course, just generally, I've been very annoyed with how they started turning Britta into the Meg of the show starting in Season 3.) I also liked that brief Pierce bit at the beginning of "Basic Human Anatomy."

PIERCE: "I've been told I look like a Kennedy."
    JEFF: "That's a statement, not an idea."
    [Later.]
    PIERCE: "I've been told I look like a Kennedy."
    JEFF: "Nope. Still just a random statement and still completely useless."
    :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  6. JirinPanthosa

Have we ever seen any evidence in the show of him being attracted to women as well as men?

I agree there. They started to focus a lot more on the hypocritical elements of Britta's personality and forgot that in addition to those hypocritical elements she passionately believes what she's saying. She started out as a Lisa Simpson type and turned into a Fox News liberal stereotype.

7. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I think the operative word was "oversimplification". He's not merely homosexual, he's something else entirely.

8. JirinPanthosa

...Pansexual imp? ;)

9. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

He likes manly men, however he might like manly women, but that is over simplifying it too. :)

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The part I loved the most when the Dean thought he was Jeff was how Annie suddenly felt attracted to him (and then disgusted/horrified afterwards).

11. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

He also had a thing for Dalmatian furries, iirc.

12. The Borgified Corpse

I nearly got to meet Jim Rash a few months ago. He was in town promoting his new movie (The Way Way Back, I think?) and he was on one of the local daytime TV shows. I happen to work in the exact same building where the show is shot. So I'm sitting in the break room, watching the TV, only to have the sudden realization, 'They shoot this show live, don't they? Holy crap, Jim Rash is in the building!' I figured I knew which exit he'd have to use when he left. But by the time I finally worked up the courage to go down to the ground floor, I think he'd already left.

Probably just as well. I didn't want to have to answer a bunch of questions from security about why I was hanging around down there. But then, I figure it's not celebrity stalking if no one else in the building even knows who the guy is. (When I mentioned this to my co-workers, I got some vague flickers of recollection when I mentioned that he wrote The Descendants. But no one had even heard of Community and we're a freaking NBC affiliate!)

13. JirinPanthosa

That episode might have been decent if they didn't do that cheesy 'Having Jeff inside of me' gag over and over.

14. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Co-writer of 'The Descendants'? That's a good movie! Respect!

15. The Borgified Corpse

I just love Jeff's reaction during that bit. "No one was inside anyone!"

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. shivkala

Something's up with Donald Glover. For his sake, I'm hoping it's some kind of viral marketing thing, because if it's not, it looks like he needs serious help.

18. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

His Twitter has been increasingly cryptic. I used to follow him (I follow Joel McHale and Alison Brie, too), but recently I just had to unfollow him because I found myself scrolling past his stuff.

19. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

He's having a seriously bad "mid" life crisis. However his seems really really bad. Like needs help bad.

20. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been considering unfollowing him too for some of the same reasons. Even his retweets are weird and, to me, indecipherable. Hope he's okay.

Anyone know what he meant by the reference to Tyreese?