Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I'm not overreacting at all, in fact I think it's quite reasonable to not support a company that has shown to have put out sloppy work in the past. Overreacting to me would imply that that I'm foaming at the mouth and punching holes in walls. I'm not.

I'm simply stating a fact. I refuse to support businesses that I feel are not worthy of my hard earned dollars. The money I spend on these sets has been tucked away specifically for these releases. I don't just have it lying around.

At the end of the day, it's just a 25 year old television program. CBS made a quality product, so they earned a purchase. HTV did not make a quality product, in my opinion, so they lose my purchase. If I don't feel a company deserves my money, I can not justify wasting that money when it could be spent on food or other necessities...especially since I have a 1 year old daughter to think about.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well I must say that despite some misgivings about the quality of S2 I am totally pumped to go the screening tonight!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  3. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, that's pretty unreasonable. By that admission, you wouldn't buy Season 4 even if it was high quality, due to who made it, not how good or bad it is.

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm not a big fan of the way the seasons will be of inconsistent quality either...but considering that the old masters were waaaay more inconsistent, it's a no-brainer purchase for me. Plus, the extras sound awesome.

I don't begrudge anyone spending money on raising a child instead of buying Blu-rays, just so long as sales as still strong enough for DS9 to be released too. ;)

5. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

If they show the actually can match the quality of cbs d then of course I would buy it, but I have yet to see proof of that yet. Until I do,
    I won't touch their Seasons.

6. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ I want the magnificent extras way too much for that.

7. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

So wait, they're using a completely different menu for S2? That's a bit bizarre, and slightly annoying.

9. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

^ Annoying? :wtf: I see that as bringing more variety to the releases. Didn't they do this with the DVDs, too? So it's more or less keeping a tradition. Plus, I think the new menu looks a better than that for season one.

10. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad they're changing the menu up for each season. It gives it it's own unique flavor (In a good way, mind you ;) ). Also, did they take the viewers suggestions and add in any episode guide (Or put the titles on each respective disc) because that was one of the more annoying aspects of the Season 1 sets.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't mind variety, but to me the S1 menus looked a lot classier than these ones.

12. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The new ones look fine to me. Bigger, too, I think -- perhaps CBS responding to fan complaints about the small buttons on the season one menus?

13. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Inconsistent menus, no problemo.

Inconsistent visual effects, no bueno.

14. Savage Dragon

Well I think the new menu fits in a lot better with the look of TNG. It looks a lot more like the LCARS consoles they used.

Still, isn't Blu-Ray.com one of the sites which failed to pick up on the audio issues?

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Correct.

Thankfully, there doesn't appear to be any audio issues on this set. Thank Maxwell Everett for checking that for us.

16. Savage Dragon

I think you mean Maxwell Everett ;)

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Why, what do you mean...?

;)

(Curse your lightning fast response time!)

18. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would be every reviewer, including Blu-Ray.com and TrekCore that missed the audio issues first time around.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Which is why I don't trust review sites. Whether they be for movies, home video or video games. There are certain people that I look to on various message boards that'll give it to you straight about the quality of releases.

20. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Many reviewers were caught with their pants down. But in their defense, they're used to reviewing 2-hour movies. They don't have time to review all 26 episodes because they want their review out ASAP for page views.

Some admitted to basing their review off the sampler disc for Encounter at Farpoint assuming it was exactly the same (not a bad assumption), and then cherry-picking some of the episodes which just happened to be unaffected by the audio glitches. One even noted "tinny" audio for Haven, but brushed it off.

These same reviewers (Blu-ray.com, highdefdigest) are likely just popping in TNG this time around to look at grain structure, the audio mix (so they don't get burned a second time) and probably the color. Few, if any, know about HTV or the lower quality visual effects. It's up to the fans to let the reviewers know something is wrong.

I forwarded some of the worst screenshots (including the compositing error) to Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits. We'll see if anything comes of that. Thankfully, Trek fans are loud.