Possible Merger of Star Trek and Star Wars

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by datalogan, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

A comic or novel whee character cross universe...sure. A merger of the two universes...uh, no. They're too different to combine. You'd have to get rid of some stuff to make it work.

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Oh, I don't know about that. I really want Edward to meet Buffy...

3. Tiberius

The vast migration of Star Wars fans?

4. Tiberius

Oh, we all know the Star Destroyer will win because IT'S POINTY AT THE FRONT!!!11!!1!!1!!one!!1!!eleven

5. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Twilight sucks...go deeper and have Buffy & Damon from The Vampire Diaries meet! :evil:

- I'd like to see SW and Marvel before SW and Star Trek.

6. Tiberius

THAT'S THE JOKE.

Edward meets Buffy. Edward gets better acquainted with Mister Pointy.

7. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We can only hope! :guffaw:

8. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

I want to see a Star Wars/Aliens crossover! I suppose the Force is strong with the Xenomorphs. :p

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

No, that's the Star Wars Trek! :techman:

10. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Nobody in the Star Wars universe has invented the warp drive yet, so merging of the universes would be a violation of the letter of the Prime Directive. We can't let that happen, can we? They need to grow up and throw their sissy hyperspace junk before we start any negotiations.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

So which is more magical, the Force or the Universal Translator?

13. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, the Star Wars universe is behind once again – Charlie X, Gary Mitchell and the like seemed to master some unexplored aspect of the Force that could make even the Sith jealous.

Now, if you're kind enough not to mention light sabers, it might look like we can maintain our appearance of superiority.

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently the Voyager: Elite Force-based comic snuck an Imperial ship or two into its "dead space ship graveyard". That's probably the only viable approach, aye, and even then is more trouble than it's worth.

15. Tiberius

:D:D:D:D

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, there's what looks like an Imperial shuttle on one page, and a distant Star Destroyer on another.

There's also an Enterprise novel that has some thinly veiled references like a creature called a Nymock and a ship whose description suggests the Millennium Falcon. And in the actual shows, there are several references to Alderaan in viewscreen graphics which weren't meant to be legible (along with many other Okudagram in-jokes like the frequent Dirty Pair and Buckaroo Banzai allusions).

There are a couple of '80s Trek novel covers that have ships from Battlestar Galactica on them, but I assume that wasn't an intentional in-joke so much as the cover artists grabbing whatever spaceship reference they could find.

17. datalogan

datalogan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Millennium Falcon [although small and quick] clearly appears during the Borg space battle in Star Trek: First Contact.

And R2D2 was seen in Star Trek [2009].

I know little nods to Star Wars happen in Star Trek from time to time.
    [Although, I haven't heard of the reverse happening. Anyone know of a Star Trek ship or character appearing in Star Wars?]

More importantly, I don't think any characters [other than droids] have crossed over between the franchises. But it would be interesting. In a totally non-cannon, let's not go there again, kind of way.

Palpatine vs Gary Mitchell, anyone?

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, the SW franchise borrowed some terminology from Trek from the start, like "deflector shield" and "tractor beam" -- terms which predated ST in the literature but were popularized by it in the mass media. And "proton torpedoes" are an obvious knockoff of photon torpedoes. Heck, even the name of the franchise was intentionally chosen to sound similar to Star Trek.

Wookieepedia lists several Trek terms that have been used in Expanded-Universe fiction, like Class-M planet, hypospray, duranium, viridium, and Epsilon Nine.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

And runabouts!

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lucas apparently liked the Praxis ring effect. (...though did ILM do those FX?)