You're the Producer ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Duncan MacLeod, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The network has given the green light for Enterprise, but they want some changes.

As happened to Roddenberry after he made the 1st pilot, the network has rejected your cast and characters. You can save one, but the rest have to go.

In exchange, however, they are willing to give you a free hand to make some changes in other areas (tech, premise, back story, etc.)

The series must be set on an Earth starship, and take place in the mid to late 22nd century.

I thought this might be a fun little game to play, so whatcha gonna do?

2. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Keep Connor Trinneer as Trip, dump the rest.

Switch from an unpside down Akira-Class to a modernised Daedalus-Class. Keep the sets, phase cannons, uniforms and all the props. Have deflector shields but drop the photonic torpedoes.

Oh and shift it forward ten years, just after the Romulan Wars and the formation of the Federation. Then include more aliens on the crew, with all the founding races having an equal number of personnel onboard.

3. Duncan MacLeod

Sounds interesting.

So who are your new characters and who are you casting in the roles?

4. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shran...Must have Shran.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

So, wait, we're operating under the assumption that "Broken Bow" was filmed but rejected ala "The Cage"?

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm saving Soval and casting him as the First Officer. The Captain is OF COURSE Erika Hernandez. She wasn't in the pilot so she gets treated as a new, recast character played by the same actor. She is super competent and comes to rely heavily on Soval, though she ribs him a bit. Soval is the wryest Vulcan we've seen in Trek and soon we realize he does have an agenda that is being withheld from us and the Captain. Is it merely Vulcan government orders or the bidding of the V'shar? Or is something more personal at stake?

The Science officer is played by David Hewlett. He is crushing badly on Captain Hernandez but he is also incredibly excited and excitable about all the NEW sciency stuff that is out there and that is his focus. He loves science, he's not scared of the unknown, he is full of boyish joy.

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I introduce an aggressive new organization named Starforce to compete with the NASA-like Starfleet. Starforce is about to launch its own Warp-5 ship and Enterprise has to establish itself as a credible player before that happens.

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everything would have been redesigned from the ground up. Where TOS was ostensibly 60's, I would have taken a 1950's influence. The Enterprise would have resembled a 1950's rocket ship, there would be flying saucers and big bug-eyed aliens and sentient blobs in space.

I would do away with all the boring stuff (ie. UFP, Starfleet, politics etc) and focus primarily on a ship in the middle of nowhere encountering weird stuff. It would be lighter in tone and made more accessible by abandoning any season long story-arcs. I would embrace the reset button but not in regards to character evolution.

Tonally, it would be similar to nu-Doctor Who, Sherlock, Firely etc. Smart scripts and stories not afraid to take risks.

I'd keep Scott Bakula as he was the only cast member with any on screen chemistry with those around him.

It would be a spectacular failure of course, but would hopefully be remembered fondly.

9. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Keep Malcolm but let him have fun Keating wanted to have with him :)

Damian Lewis as Archer, Claire Danes as T'Pol, Mandy Patinkin as Phlox, JR Bourne as Trip. Shuttlepod One would be...interesting.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'd keep Malcolm as well, at time she seemed like the only sane man onbaord the ship. I might also go back a bit earlier, still have the Warp 5 ship, dial back the Vulcans holding Earth back, and maybe have Starfleet just a few years old with some conflict driven from the more science minded Captain and more military minded XO Malcolm. So we see Starfleet trying to find the balance between peacful exploration and keeping Earth and it's colonies safe. No T'Pol if we have to have an alien character they are an oberserver only, they aren't in the command chain.

11. Duncan MacLeod

Yes, the network likes the concept, but feels that this cast of characters just didn't come together. So they're giving you another shot at it.

12. Duncan MacLeod

Definitely some interesting ideas being floated.

Keep it up, guys.

13. Duncan MacLeod

Shran was not in Broken Bow so you can't save him. But you can introduce him as a replacement character. Or just use Jeff Combs in a new role.

14. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If we're doing handwaving, why the specific rules of who can and can't be "saved?" Let people float their ideas without playing thought police.

I gotta agree with teacake about Erika Hernandez. She would've been an interesting character and after reading the Destiny novels, she would've brought a new style of command to the franchise(though I guess if you couple incompetent as a style, so did Archer), and was an interesting character in her own rights, well balanced and grounded with enough idealism to make for some future plot arcs.

While at first the design of the NX-01 itself irked me, but let's face it... they weren't going to by with a boxy Daedalus-class knockoff. They wanted something that would look cool, and a series centered on an ugly ship doesn't help a foundation that was shaky to begin with.

Though a series with a mixed crew from the allied worlds would be interesting. Sort of like a UNesque command of several militaries. The ship being developed and built by all the allied worlds, on a mission of exploration to benefit them all, even while each representative world maintains it's independence and their own fleets. That would allow for an Earth like style that's different from the Federation style. Plus all the dramas and conflicts between the allied worlds would play themselves out on that ship with political posturing of who gets what positions, the alliances agreeing on a different captain mid way through and things like that.

15. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Keep Malcolm. Truly multicultural cast (e. g. Jews in space! But more).

Science Officer Dev Patel
    Engineer Morgan Freeman
    Captain Natalie Portman (going with almost a Kirk vibe of being young and over her head but rushed up the ranks because she's got the it factor)
    Pilot hmm let's go with a Vulcan here 'cause we haven't had a Vulcan here yet, have we?
    Comms maybe a Tellarite ;)
    Doctor Michael Caine

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Cancel it.

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^

Figured it was only a matter of time before that popped up. :p

18. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, I'd watch that. I love all your ideas.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Would have been a big change from contemporary science fiction (TOS was ostensibly 60s, well, because it was made in the 60s) to commentary/parody/homage/mockery of past science fiction eras.

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

She would have been twenty years old at the time. Interesting move, I like it. Would have brought in the all important 18 - 25 youth demographic.

I like this, not to the point of being a comedy, but put some humor into the fact none of them have a clue about what they're doing out there.

I'd go the other direction multiple decades. Consider this change, the warp drive is like the jet engine. First used on aircraft in 1939, three decades later they are everywhere. Military, commercial and private.

It's the same way with the warp drive (first flight 2063), by the year 2090 Humanity is exploding outward from Earth, very haphazard, colonies, trade with aliens, private exploration. A lot of alien toes are getting stepped on, the surrounding civilizations have never seen expansion like this before. And pirates are hitting Human ships.

Starfleet is formed in 2110 to attempt to bring order to this building chaos.

Not a universally popular idea with all Humans. Some members nations of United Earth have already formed their own armed fleets to protect their colonies and trade corridors. The New United Nations has a small armed fleet. As do some private corporations.

The show's first season is set in 2120

Phlox is one of the characters I'd leave alone, casting and backstory. I'd keep Trip and Hoshi too. But I would keep her first season Hoshi for the entire run.

:)