One Dollar Audios

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by OmahaStar, Sep 17, 2012.

1. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Big Finish has a couple upcoming special releases that are available to pre-order for *cheap*.

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-voyage-to-venus-793 -- Voyage to Venus, starring the Sixth Doctor, with Jago and Litefoot (yes, they're back!). Coming in November.

http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-voyage-to-the-new-world-794 - Voyage to the New World, the sequel to Venus above, again with Six and Jago & Litefoot. Coming in December.

They are available as downloads (and that means DRM-free high quality files) for just one dollar each. Or, you can get the CDs for just 8 bucks. Even as a CD, that's still about half the cost of a normal release.

If you haven't given Big Finish Audios a try yet, here's a chance to do so with two stories for just two bucks. And if you have, then you're already a fan so you know how great a deal this is.

Other special releases are also coming soon.

2. jerriecan

jerriecan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fantastic! :) I'll have to pre-order!

3. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice, I need new 6 adventures to listen to.

4. OmahaStar

Oh, so does Sindatur. Paging Sindatur. Paging Doctor Sindatur to the white courtesy phone.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

"Hello...Hello...Is This thing on" :D (Damned browser crashed the first time I tried replying)

I see, yes, definitely have to look into this. I have so many CDs and DVD in Store Bought cases, Space is at a premium, so, I actually prefer to get the discount for downloading, and then create the CD myself, and put them in CD Wallets (IE: Gallifrey Adventures, I have all together in 1 CD Wallets, which would take up much less room then haveing the 4 Box Sets)

6. Pindar

Correct my CDs take up miles of shelf space.

7. OmahaStar

Would you like to donate some to give away as prizes for upcoming SF conventions?

8. Pindar

Then what would I put on my shelves?

9. OmahaStar

Worth a shot. I'm on staff at one convention, and helping out another. Both have quite a bit of DW programming, including trivia contests. This year, Big Finish donated several cds, and they were a huge hit.

I've heard back from a couple of the winners who had said they weren't interested in the audios before, and one is now a subscriber, the other has bought several of the "BF for a Fiver" titles.

Now I'm on the hunt for prizes for next year.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm definitely getting these. For those who are that far along, are these two stories a continuation from the Jago & Litefoot series or are they set at some other point? I ask because I've only listened to the first boxset so far.

11. OmahaStar

From what I've been able to piece together ... J&L only met the Doctor the one time, in Talons. They came back for one companion chronicle story, and it went over so well they got their own series. All of their stories have been set on Earth, Doctor-less.

At the end of their four season (I had no idea they'd done so much!) they meet the Sixth Doctor, and step into the Tardis. These two stories tell their adventure with him, before returning home.

I haven't listened to any of the J&L stories, so I may be reading all of that in error.

12. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

See, the thing is...
    Colin Baker is in the fourth series but as a new character and not The Doctor. I don't know the details on how that all that works and if there's any correlation to these two stories. Hell, I still don't know the details behind Leela's appearance! I rather stay spoiler-free on that front.

13. Pindar

Right ordered them and had a mini splurge. :D

14. Sindatur

Made my Pre-order today, since I had money in the Paypal account, and cool thing is, they already took the Payment, so, I don't have to worry about leaving $2.37 in Paypal to cover (And then have the exchange rate change, so, it became $2.39 and there wasn't enough to cover it). For $2.00, much better for them to take the money now, and not have to worry about it. So, Gosh, that's now 4 Colin Baker Audios I'll have

15. OmahaStar

I'm Colin Baker's biggest fan on the board, and I approve this message. :cool:

16. OmahaStar

Voyage to Venus has been released, a full month early! If you've pre-ordered either the CD or download, it's in your download queue on bigfinish.com right now. You can order at the discounted price through the end of the year, then it goes up to full price.

17. Sindatur

Thanks OmahaValleyard, I've been wondering if I would get an email, or have to keep track of the release date, or if you'd sing it out that it was released.

I'll probably download it and burn this weekend (Then the trick will be waiting until I finish HP and have more new Doctor Who saved up to listen to a group Doctor again. Always depressing to hae only 1 new story to listen to, it just goes by too fast)

18. OmahaStar

You knew I would. :) And no worries. I listened to it today and enjoyed it quite a bit. And that's as much as I'll say until others have had a chance to listen to it as well. Spoilers and all that.

I'm thinking of keeping the Valeyard name after Halloween. It's been a decade, maybe time for a change. What do you think?

I've had an awesome day. I got the Voyage download (still not sure if they are sending the CD next month or if they've already sent it; doesn't matter, since I already have the file), but also received another set that I ordered from whona.com ... The Ultimate Adventure and Beyond the Ultimate Adventure. Combined, with shipping, was less than 25 bucks. And normally just the first one is 25 bucks.

In 1989, a stage play premiered called The Ultimate Adventure, with Jon Pertwee reprising his Third Doctor role. He played it for 10 weeks, then retired (he turned 70 during this period). After that, it was slightly retooled and Colin Baker took over playing Six. In total, the stage play ran for five months.

A couple years ago, BF worked with Terrance Dicks, who wrote the original play, to update it for audio. It's a two-disc set, complete with extensive interviews with the cast and crew. It features new companions Jason, a French man the Doctor rescued just before his execution was to take place, and Chris, a young woman who works in a bar as a singer. Recently, they released a sequel in the Companion Chronicles line bringing back those two companions and Colin as the Doctor.

I've listened to about six hours' worth of Sixth Doctor material today. Why yes, I am in an awesome mood today. :)

19. Sindatur

I kinda like the Valeyard Moniker, so, yea, if you're happy with it, by all means, keep it.

Wow, 6 hours of Colin, you must be in "Colin Heaven"

20. Sindatur

SO, I downloaded it and burned it to disk, and popped it in to test out it's playability and I was reminded it's Jago and Lightfoot, I had forgotten about that :alienblush: (Have to pull out Talons of Weng Chiang to watch prior to the listening)

Surprised it was only a single disc story, most of the stories I've gotten were at least two discs or box sets. I was concerned about my download when I saw the files seemed to be a single disk (And fit on one) (Don't get me wrong, I'll pay a Buck a Story all day long, even if it was only half a disc long :bolian:).

Now, I'm gonna be staring at the disc, wanting to put it in, but, it will be so much better waiting, at least until the second part is released (And I'll probably get some more Evelyn's for the group in the meantime). Damn, I shoulda left it zipped up until later...Oh well, it's good to have to wait and want, right :D

I consume 5+ hours of Audiobook/Play a week on my commute, so, I always need to plan ahead :alienblush:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012