ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by LtChange, Oct 6, 2012.

1. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Well, I'm gratified the image quality is superior to the DVD's - a prerequisite, and pretty much an essential, base, starting point for Blu-ray in my opinion. After all, there'd be very little point in transferring 480i/p material to an HD carrier as is. You're quite entitled to hold the view "there's nothing to complain about", but equally, I'm entitled to disagree with you and feel some level of disappointment the image quality slants toward the mediocre in terms of HD. But, I've already stated, I'm still waiting for my set - so I can't judge or make a definitive call presently - I'm just making an educated guess based on (HD) trailers and screenshots.

2. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Roll on April Fool's Day*. That's when it's released here. Amazon UK seem to be in no rush to send it out early, so I can join the chorus of disappointed moans about the new colour grading, excessive grain and upscaled artifacts.

*You think CBS are trying to tell me something? :p

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  3. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When I watched, I found the color correction to be somewhat subtle - in fact, hardly noticeable. However obviously comparing scenes like-for-like the differences will be more pronounced.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The color is an improvement to me, the grays are pronounced while the browns tend to be reduced, makng the show look newer, with an attractive sheen to them...I mean just look at the Trekcore pics, small as some are, the improved quality is apparent. Considering the live action is 720p and FX early on were 480p, they shouldn't look THIS good, but they do.

RAMA

5. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got mine today and was comparing it to the saved DVR recordings of the HD broadcast on that HD channel. And for the most part I like it better, with blacks looking more solid, but I am curious why some scenes do have a change in color palette. I mean it could easily be something like correcting a shot that didn't follow the DP notes, or it could be a mistake. Simply put without more detail its impossible to know.

With ENT as the only show shot and delivered at a higher quality of modern Trek, teh change isn't as dramatic as the utterly awful DVD to Bluray of TNG (those DVDs were terrible), not to mention actually saved recordings of an HD broadcast even if 720p, are going to make for a much smaller improvement.

But improvement it is. Considering visually ENT is easily my favorite Trek series (from set design, to costumes, to location work to the various ways the DP filmed the show), I am quite happy.

6. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

Got mine in today too. Watch the In Conversation feature and Broken Bow with commentary so far. I've been pretty impressed with the visuals, not always perfect but a step up from my dvd sets.

7. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

8. Andyperkins

Andyperkins Ensign Newbie

Did you pay for shipping? as they sent my copy yesterday and I received it today.

9. ChristopherPike

Really? Ah crap. Grouping into the few deliveries option probably did for me. Although I was careful to pick another Blu ray out the same day. I guess they've been waiting for that, to complete the order.

Too late to change it now, with this being a Bank Holiday weekend. If it were dispatched now, there's no post Monday.

10. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Any live action you see without VFX are 1080p, not 720p. It's just 1080p quality circa 2001/2002. :)

11. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Strange that it doesn't look as good as Blu-Ray TOS even though both were filmed in 35mm film. The Blu-Ray "Enterprise" still looks really good

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

13. ChristopherPike

^ Thanks to whoever put that online. I'm guessing there's no way I'd be able to see it here in the UK otherwise. I have to say I'm not really a fan of special features being withheld, to later become exclusive content you have to chase up. I'd much prefer to have everything produced to just be on the discs. But it's probably the future and not sweated by those who already watch more catch-up i-player, Netflix and other online video hosters, than actual TV or physical media.

The Best Buy, only available from a particular retailer thing is a new development for me... although I was certainly aware of it. With Region 2 DVD box-sets, Paramount used to somehow include everything including those handful of extra-extra featurettes, on the last disc as standard.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  14. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for this special features interview from Shuttlepod one.Nice to see Connor &Dominic discussing filming this show. I rememeber when the original Enterprise dvds came out that Best Buy would have special dvd disks with special interviews and behind the scenes stuff and that people would buy the dvd sets at Best buy and later put them up for sale on e-bay for an outrageous price because they were rare and highly sought after.I remember how unhappy folks on trek bbs used to post here about it.

15. feek61

Just finished watching the interview with Berman and Braga; very interesting.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Thank god for Youtube! You can find anything on there these days! :techman:

17. Andyperkins

Andyperkins Ensign Newbie

It's not that surprising, Enteprise is using decade old masters created for HDTV, techniques have come along way in the last ten years just look at the Gladiator Blu-ray, the first release used an old HD master created for the 2001 DVD release but it was awful so they did a brand new transfer and it looks fantastic.

Enterprise could look as good as TNG if they rescanned the negatives and re-rendered the CG but that isn't going to happen, like you said it looks really good so why spend a lot of money to make it better when most will already be happy with how it looks now.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

CBS doesn't want to spent lots of money on making the Blu-Rays for something they know will have low sales.

Is this foreshadowing for the DS9 and VOY releases?:confused:

19. feek61

Yes, plus they can re-release it in a couple of years in better quality so we will have to buy it again, lol.

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As I have repeated before, it is hard to read CBS' relative lack of investment in Enterprise as indicative of what the studio would do for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine or Star Trek: Voyager.

1. Enterprise was mastered in HD. The other spin-offs were mastered in SD. There is no way for CBS to put out the same half-assed product.

2. Enterprise was the least popular live action Trek series. As such, it is hard to guess what CBS will do with the other series based on this one.