Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How do we know he was actually competent in that surgery? Yes, she said she couldn't tell a good smell from one that is foul, but I suspect Zoidberg "crossed the wires" metaphorically speaking. No, not intentionally, but as per his usual confusion about human anatomy, he linked the nerves to the wrong centers of her brain. It was just a happy accident his blunder resulted in a beneficial result (for both of them since she genuinely seemed to like him).

As for not dropping dead after, ahem, "spawning", I too thought about that. Maybe because she is NOT Zoidberg's species, she doesn't trigger certain hormones in John's body that would normally result in his death upon, er, "satisfaction".

One can choice to see it as contradicting earlier material, but I've opted to consider it as yet another level of "world building". Besides, I rather like Zoidberg and the poor schlubb deserves a break before the series ends.

Yeah, I'm full of crap. I might as well take a laxative. ;)

Sincerely,

Bill

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

She survived, and lost no body parts she wasn't supposed to lose. That in itself is a step up from Zoidberg's usual competence with humans.

3. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Maybe. Let's see if she shows up alive next week. :rommie:

Well, it was a fair episode. Bender tap dancing on the chest of a dead little girl was certainly quite a sight. I did like the ambiguous ending.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was an ok episodes. I thought both stories had some good moments, but they weren't anything amazing.
    I also finally saw last weeks, and that one was great. Even after the comments on here I was still surprised that they actually ended it the way they did.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised Zoidberg still had the girl at the end of the episode. Kudos.

6. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

That was our first thought: Are they really going to allow Zoidberg to get the girl? To be happy?

:eek:

:lol:

I hope they do. He deserves a happy ending, that poor bastard.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I'm really hoping we'll get some kind of a (probably silent) appearance from Marianne in the finale, just so we know Zoidberg will really get the happy ending this week's episode implied.

8. Christopher

By the way, I'd been assuming that Tonya was Kath Soucie, who's been a recurring player on Futurama for years (playing Cubert among others), but it turns out to have been the Futurama debut of the redoubtable Tara Strong. I thought it sounded like her, but I've mistaken Soucie for her before so I assumed it was Soucie.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I'm amazed it took 7 year for her to pop up on Futurama.

10. Christopher

Well, 7 seasons, but 14 years.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Right, I forgot to include the cancellation gap.
    I just looked her up onIMDB and it turns out she hasn't done The Simpsons either, and that is even more surprising.
    She's also done two different version of Barbara Gordon now, the one in The New Batman Adventures and it's spinoffs and now Beware the Batman.

12. Christopher

^Actually Strong has done three versions of Barbara Gordon, since she's also Batgirl in the Super Best Friends Forever shorts.

It's not too surprising that the Groening shows haven't used a lot of the big voiceover names today, since they tend to stick with their established ensembles except when they bring in celebrity guests. I mean, as far as I know, neither show has used Grey DeLisle, Jennifer Hale, Yuri Lowenthal, Steve Blum, Kari Wahlgren, Greg Cipes, or the like, and Futurama has never used Kevin Michael Richardson, although he has done The Simpsons 11 times in the past 4 years.

Sometimes there are shows or studios that don't use the voice actors ubiquitous everywhere else. For instance, Frank Welker did virtually everything in the '70s and '80s, but he never worked on Filmation shows except for a few years c. 1980.

13. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't tell if the girl being named Tonya is clever or a bit too on the nose (pun, for this episode, intended).

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That had to be intentional. That whole thing cracked me up. I imagine a lot of people wouldn't get it these days, though. :rommie:

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I don't get it?

16. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

linky

17. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh it most certainly was intentional, especially with hurt Bender's expression. I'm just trying to figure out if it was just clever enough or too clever.

18. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Ooooooooh, THAT Tonya :) I forgot they did the kneecapping gag in the episode.

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, I never picked up on the name. I'm familiar with Tonya Harding, I just didn't really put 2 and 2 together.