You know what would've made "Yesterday's Enterprise" better than it...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by The Rock, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: You know what would've made "Yesterday's Enterprise" better than i

I agree with what the writers said on the Blu Ray commentary track. It would have been too 'cute'. One of the things I quite like about the "Yesterday's Enterprise" universe is that we don't know where everybody's alt equivalent actually is.

Besides, Worf's backstory is such that he'd have likely died at Khitomer as an infant if the Rozhenko's hadn't rescued him, and that's an event that would have been increasingly less likely to happen in the alt universe.

2. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not sure it fits the storyline...if Worf was commanding then the klingons would have been vaguely intimidating but easily beaten up.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Which would explain why that one ship blew up so easily. See, Worf was in the episode, he just got killed before he could offer a line. ;)

4. Xhiandra

Xhiandra Captain Captain

Agreed, such practices make the universe/galaxy seem smaller than it is, just like when everything has to be tied into everything less (for instance the "V'Ger was fixed by the Borg" fan hypothesis); it also breaks suspension of disbelief: you know that character has only been shoehorned in there as a misguided form of fanservice, not out of in-universe reasons. It's poor writing.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Had the Enterprise-C been the Enterprise-A and the episode revealed the fates of Kirk and crew... now *that* would have been epic!

(YE was a huge disappointment to me when I first saw it - the TV guide said "the old Enterprise goes forward in time..." and I went into it expecting the above!)

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Berman said that if they hadn't already used the idea for YE, they'd have made the same story except with the Ent-A instead for "Generations".

7. R. Star

That might have been interesting. Better than that silly nexus bit.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think "Yesterday's Enterprise" was fine as-is.

This was the getting-Tasha's-death-right episode, not a there-but-for-the-grace-of-Kahless goes Worf episode.

Also, I get really sick of what I call small universe syndrome in Star Trek.

9. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

A fantasy remake of the episode to me, would feature replacing the stupid scaled up BOPs with a trio of Vor'cha or Negh'var designs. Something that, you know, would seriously choreograph the E-D being in trouble. (And it's not as if there's anything that tells us what a K'Vort class battlecruiser is anyway. The same footage was later used for B'Rel class ships in "Rascals")

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

When the US Navy wanted a larger fighter/attack aircraft, instead of producing a an entirely new design MD/Boeing simply up-scaled the F/A-18 to produce the Super Hornet.

Personally I like that the BOP design is use in a various sizes, from light attack up through large cruiser.

Although they should have done something about the windows.

:)

11. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

The Super Hornet isn't a simple up-scale, they did have to redesign a fair amount of it to accommodate the increased payload etc. And the difference between the F/A-18E/F and the F/A-18C/D is on the order of about 130% in terms of overall volume, rather than the ridiculous 2700% between the BOP types.

12. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have liked to have seen an ENT: Through a mirror, darkly style new teaser credits.

13. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't have hated if Worf had shown up. Those kind of coincidences can feel like fate, etc. But I think the episode worked great exactly as it was. I don't find it that surprising that most of the crew were still on the Enterprise, those people followed the same career paths as their counterparts. A little bit of suspension of disbelief is necessary sometimes.
    I wonder what happend to Troi, and all the other Trek characters from DS9 and Voyager in the altered time line?
    This makes me think I'd have loved to have seen the Mirror Universe used on TNG. There is a novel Dark Mirror I think, that explores that, and characters from all the Trek shows are in the Dark Passions novels.

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The big ones are 27x the size of the other ones? lol

15. R. Star

The ones in the Defector were ridiculously huge... they had the same wingspan of a Romulan warbird. Wouldn't say 27x though... unless maybe you're measuring them against the BoPs in DS9 that looked small enough to be one man fighters.

16. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's what Michael Dorn would say about this discussion:

"I don't understand the Sela thing, I don't understand yesterday's enterprise, I don't understand any of it."

17. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great Episode always.

18. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Small universe syndrome was pushed almost to its absolute limits in DS9's mirror universe episodes!

They had an Ezri who happened to be there just at the right time, in the season seven timeline (she may not have been joined though). Not to mention even freaking Vic Fontaine was inexplicably there in the MU :lol: How that happens, I have no idea? Maybe he was an android made to resemble the crooner of the 20th century, for some reason.

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

And here's what Season 2 Worf would say:

"ONE TIMELINE! ONE TASHA! ONE SHIP! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...!!!"