DS9: Your Favorite EPISODE Of The Series.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by CmndrSela318, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast wins it for me

so many others to choose from. The Visitor, ITPM, Wow, Time to Stand, The Adversary

2. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Favorite Season Finale: "Call to Arms"
    Favorite Fun Episode: "Trials and Tribble-ations"
    Favorite Storylines: The Circle trilogy, the S6 Occupation Arc and the Final Chapter.

3. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If I can choose only one, difficult because there was so many good ones, it would be "Duet":techman:
    It was a great episode when it first aired..and still is:cool:
    The other Trek shows dont really have this kind of classic in their 1st seasons:)

4. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not an original answer by any means but it's probably ITPM.

5. LapsedTrekkie

LapsedTrekkie Ensign Red Shirt

QFT. I totally agree with this, and say it every time -- best Trek episode, period. This automatically makes it the best DS9 episode...

6. Luther Sloan

Luther Sloan Captain Captain

It's a tie between Adversary and Call to Arms. Although there are a lot of others that are not far behind, though.

I loved Adversary because it feels like it is kicking off a new chapter where things start to heat up within the series. I also loved Call to Arms because it was just explosively awesome and well written, too.

7. Sarita

Sarita Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Another vote for "In the Pale Moonlight". I also love "Trials and Tribble-ations" and "Take Me Out to the Holosuite".

8. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh my God - someone actually considers "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" a good episode? I'm not hatin' on ya, I'm just shocked beyond belief. And because I want to bash my own head in any time I see that episode.

9. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

These days I think I'd say Hard Time. Though The Visitor and Improbable Cause/The Die Is Cast are very close.

10. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A lot of people enjoy that episode as a comedy. I didn't like it at all when I first watched it, partly because I was 13 and wanted the show to get back to the space battles, partly because I had no understanding of baseball. But when I saw it again on DVD and chose to accept it as the light-hearted romp that it is, I realised it was actually a good comic episode. DS9's cast fragmented a lot in the later seasons and it was rare for them to do a big ensemble episode, so I think it was good for them to have an episode like this in the final season. I feel the same way about Badda-Bing, Badda-Bang, I hated it at first but came to enjoy it on DVD. I don't consider either of them to be classic episodes, but they're fun.

As for the topic of the thread, I've got to go for ITPM, because it had badass Sisko with a healthy dose of Garak.

11. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

I'll get flamed for this, but to me it's too sappy. it's very well acted though (by Cirroc Lofton and Tony Todd).

12. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

A lot of my favourites are more comedic episodes. I think DS9 does a lighter tone type of episode really well. I like "You Are Cordially Invited...", "His Way", and "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" much more than "In The Pale Moonlight". Along with "To the Death" and "Trials and Tribble-ations", they comprise my top 5.

I love "Trials and Tribble-ations" most - it's just pure joy to watch from start to finish, with the delightful dialog and wonderful performances. Jadzia's enthusiasm throughout that episode is what made me a huge fan of that character in the first place. Also, the running gag with Bashir and O'Brien is hilarious, and Sisko's 'interaction' with Kirk was priceless.

13. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's from this point of view that I've come to appreciate both Take Me Out to the Holosuite and Badda-Bing. Basically they're a way of taking a step back from the ongoing storylines and letting the characters spend a little quality time with each other and with the fans before the final chapter. It's on the list of creative decisions on the part of Ira Behr and co. that I've come to appreciate more over time (Vic Fontaine is also on the list.) Others are still incomprehensible to me, but perhaps there will come a day when all shall be revealed ;)

I don't have a single favorite, but I think A Time to Stand/Rocks and Shoals deserves a mention as a two-parter. Favor the Bold/Sacrifice of Angels is the section of the Occupation Arc that immediately comes to mind I think for any fan, but rewatching the opening two episodes of season 6 a few times has allowed me to appreciate just how good they are. So tightly written and beautifully directed (especially R&S), with so many underlying themes and questions being addressed in a subtle manner.

The Visitor has never had the impact on me that it has on many fans. Well-written and performed certainly, but I can't say it has ever really stood out to me as the masterpiece episode that it is to some. I never have any desir to rewatch it, for example, whereas there many episodes of DS9 I enjoy rewatching on a fairly regular basis.

I agree that it does, at least when mass Ferengi aren't involved (though even occasionally when they are). In the Cards is another great example of a lighter episode, though I admit I find it somewhat mystifying that a fan of the show would perceive this as DS9's absolute best material. However, to each his own!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  14. Joeman

Joeman Captain Captain

Don't know how many eps I rated 10/10, but there were a lot. Forced to pick one, I'd probably almost always pick It's Only A Paper Moon. That episode just always really resonated with me for some reason. I love all the political and religious intrigue, space battles, and "torture O'Brien" episodes, but this one was a real departure that I found very touching and extremely well done.

15. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To me, the "funny" or "light-hearted" episodes never worked well in DS9. They always came across as forced and out of place and the Ferengi episodes annoyed me to no end. I'm not sure if it was just the tone of the series, the writers' inability to be funny, or the cast's inability to make things funny. To me, the only funny episode that worked well was Trials and Tribbleations and it worked marvelously.

16. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    'Trials and Tribble-ations' is my favorite...

17. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It seems Take Me Out to the Holosuite is a really divisive episode. Personally, I don't like it at all.

I'd agree that a lot of DS9's comedy episodes fall flat, but there are some I like: The House of Quark, Fascination, Looking for Par'Mach in all the Wrong Places, Trials and Tribble-ations, In the Cards.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Homefront/Paradise Lost

These episodes just hit it out of the park.

19. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Its hard to choose, because I love the dominion story that took over. I also appreciated the stand alone episodes. The Dominion was not all that deep space nine was- But it was the Dominion Arc that grabbed a lot of viewers and my imagination. I think therefore I have to choose a Dominion themed episode and that would be The Jem'Hadar, just simply because it introduced the best enemy ever. Also it was funny and finally gave the wormhole some purpose. I love ITPM and it is a Dominion story but its more about Starfleet and morals than the War itself so its a close second as a non Dominion Arc story. Sacrifice of Angles is a tie with ITPM.

Anything with Vic Fontaine sucks- well the parts with him in it at least. But not as bad as Fair Haven. Little green men was a brilliant take on Roswell.

20. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't believe I missed this thread for so long!

There are a lot of great DS9 episodes. But the one that is my favorite--though I can't watch it very much because it gets me absolutely BAWLING--is "Ties of Blood and Water." Very, VERY underrated episode, in my opinion.