Jeri Ryan in "Agents of SHIELD"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by TedShatner10, Sep 26, 2013.

1. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, hate to break your bubbles, but she's not shooting Agents of SHIELD.

It's Helix. No catsuits. No superhero.

Just another high-powered middle-aged corporate type, who gets to kick ass in a Ron Moore show.

Personally, I'm real happy with this.

2. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Since Helix seems to be modelling itself on Alien and The Thing, I get the horrible impression that the early middle-aged but still implausibly attractive official Jeri is playing could be a secondary human antagonist (like Burke) alongside the main alien/monster baddies that will likely meet a sticky end (her head caste insinuates she gets turned into a monster or gets beheaded by one).

3. TedShatner10

Here's the trailer for Helix, Jeri's latest show (looks relatively good, despite being on SyFy):
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU-ovapErTI[/yt]

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Okay, I don't understand that parenthetical. Syfy in recent years has had some of the best SF dramas on TV.

5. TedShatner10

Well their movies have a reputation, even if half their TV stuff sounds very good and they kept the slowly flagging later Stargate franchise going for many years (and RD Moore is penning Helix). Here's more info. Gory body parts plus Jeri already wrapping up her guest role, playing some kind a security officer in a remote facility under threat, still does not bode well... :(

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Syfy's movies are from a totally different source than their original scripted dramas. I think one is from the East Coast branch of the network and the other is from the West Coast, or something. But aside from airing on the same channel, they have no connection whatsoever, and they're not intended to serve the same purpose or to target the same demographic. It makes no more sense to judge Syfy's scripted dramas on the basis of their monster movies than it does to judge, say, CBS News programming on the basis of CBS Sports programming. Same network but different divisions and different purposes.

7. teya

Jeri's playing the COO (chief operating officer) of the corporation. Not "some kind of security officer."

8. TedShatner10

OK, reading up on what a chief operating officer is in the real corporate/business world, but she's still wearing quasi-military attire and in a remote secure facility.

9. teya

The show is set in the arctic.

She ain't gonna be waltzing in wearing stilettos.

10. TedShatner10

Whatever her role, she'll be good. Currently in recent days she's guest starring on yet another show (I actually prefer her to guest star on popular digital/DVD/Netflix type TV shows and do supporting roles in more movies, than be tied down in a watchable, but middling TV show like Body of Proof that scrapes by on dying network television).

11. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

12. TedShatner10

Here's a first proper trailer showing more of the cast, setting, and action:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI4R2WY11yM[/yt]

With the scenes of action and gore (plus Jeri looking quite sinister) I get the impression she's a corporate witch that gets her comeuppance.

13. TedShatner10

Ok, I've seen Helix - slickly produced, with nice cheap scares, but as daft as a virus infected brush (in the words of The Guardian critic Ben Arnold).

14. teya

Sorry her role choices aren't up to your high standards.

Perhaps you should write her and offer your services as her agent.

15. TedShatner10

Helix took too long to get moderately good and its attempts at chilling tension doesn't work a lot of the time (and it had another interesting female character senselessly killed off), I'm glad Jeri's playing the role of a villainess in this and she should choose those kinds of roles in more meatier productions (stuff that's fairly solid in their own right without her, like Leverage and Mortal Kombat).

Helix has a been a sluggish disappointment (and so has Agents of SHIELD, really). Channel 5 has put it on the back burner after just six weeks.