Hemlock Grove - Netflix Original Horror serie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Apr 10, 2013.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Where is she even meant to be from? is she meant to be English in this show? Her accent drifts all over the place.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, her accent is kind of weird. It's probably the one thing that has bugged me the most so far.

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The UK and Irish versions of Netflix are functionally the same. Netflix did sign an agreement with RTE to start airing some of their content (not sure if this includes the acclaimed Love/Hate), but that hasn't started yet.

I do know that there are actually more British series available for US Netflix than its UK equivalent.

4. JoeZhang

Just finished it... that was unsatisfying... I felt we were teased a lot but the pay-off was weak.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've watched a few more episodes since I last posted, and while I've been enjoying it, it's definitely much slower and more subdued than I was expecting.

6. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just finished watching all of it. That was a strange little experience. I felt that it didn't start out that great, but improved with each episode. Really for the entire first half of the season I just felt confused and a little frustrated, but it all started to come together towards the end. The last four episodes definitely held my attention better than the earlier ones did. The ending left enough open for a second season but also provided some closure on current plots.

If I were judging solely on the quality of individual episodes, or how the series started out, I wouldn't rate Hemlock Grove very highly. But taking it as a whole, I thought it was worth my time. Unfortunately most people won't be willing to stick around for several episodes to see if it improves.

Also, if anyone is expecting any sort of realism, not just in the fantasy sense but also in terms of dialogue, characters, settings, etc. then this is not the show for you! People don't really talk this way, teenagers don't act like this, towns don't operate this way, families don't interact like this and Fish and Game representatives don't act this way. Nothing about this show is realistic, but that doesn't mean it can't still be entertaining.

7. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I'd agree, it started off oddly but improved. I guess because it's seen as 12 parts of one film rather than 12 episodes. So it really is each part is a chapter in the story, so there may be boring chapters but the story as a whole was an enjoyable one.

8. JoeZhang

The reveal to me fell flat because vampires are fucking everywhere now - if they had turned out to be mutated badgers or something - well maybe.

9. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

Anyone watched season 2?

10. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I just finished season 2. I enjoy the show but I find it hard to put my finger on exactly why I like it. I hope they at least give it a season 3 to finish off the story.