The Never Ending Sacrifice and DS9 relaunch

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by dispatcher812, Jan 1, 2011.

1. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

I just finished reading The DSP relauch books. Well all except the Terok Nor Books, The left hand of Destiny books, Prophecy and Change and Hollow Men. (I was under the impression these were not part of the relauch, so I skipped them).
    I never had pictured reading these books. I Liked the TV series but not enough to read it. However, After reading the Destiny Triology, and being an Ezri fan I wanted to see what lead up to her Command track. I also wanted to see what lead up to Ro becoming CAPTAIN of DS9 in Zero Sum Game. The relaunch never addressed those points. If they did I missed it. And The Never Ending Sacrifice was Barely a DS9 book. Was it all a suprise to the rest of you or did I truely miss something in the books. Thanks, Kevin

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The only surprise I had was that I didn't expect to enjoy NES (and put it off for quite a while) and couldn't have been more wrong. Loved it.

I can understand why some people might be peeved by the "not much DS9 in DS9" approach to some of the novels, but I have enjoyed all the ones I have read very much.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

One or two of the stories in Prophecy and Change contain elements that were followed up in "Relaunch" novels. (Or rather, post-finale novels. The term "Relaunch" was originally only intended to refer to the initial promotional push for the post-finale DS9 novel line.) As for the others, they're all part of the same overall continuity, if not directly part of the same storylines. And they're all worth reading on their own merits.

After editor Marco Palmieri (the mastermind of the post-finale continuity) was laid off, his successor Margaret Clark decided to jump the DS9 continuity forward five years to put it in synch with the post-Nemesis continuity of the TNG and Titan novels (along with bumping Voyager up two years to put it in synch as well). Destiny is the first work to establish Ezri's captaincy and explain how she got it, and Zero Sum Game is the first mention of Ro's captaincy.

TNES was a sequel to a DS9 episode and an alternate viewpoint on many events that were important in the DS9 narrative, hence its being published under the DS9 label. One thing that can be said about the post-finale novels, though, is that much like the series itself, they weren't constrained by a narrow definition of their identity, but were willing to take chances and try different things. Hence the side stories like TLHoD and TNES. They're DS9 novels in the sense that they did the same thing DS9 itself did: offered a broader perspective on the established societies and politics of the Trek universe and explored them in greater depth.

4. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This might be a good place to ask the burning question on my mind:

Does Zero Sum Game or Rough Beasts of Empire say anything about the Ascendants storyline either already having come to a head or hint that it is coming back soon?

5. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

It might be better to start a 'What happened to the Ascendants' thread. *lol* But I think it's hinted that the battle against them happened in the several year DS9 gap....

6. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok thanks. Now I'll just wait with baited breathe for the fill-in-the-gap novel/anthology.

7. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope no one minds me stopping in to say this so late, but I just finished reading this myself. I really don't have much to say but it's not just a good Star Trek novel but a good novel period. You could change the names and places and it'd work just as well as an independent piece of science-fiction. The fact it works with a "no show presence" star is another major part of its appeal.

So, bravo Una, you did an awesome job.

10/10

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thread-resurrection/necro-posting is frowned upon somewhat, yes. Reviving topics that haven't been posted in for years is some sort of a no-no. Not sure if there's an actual rule against it though.

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's actually kind of muddy and varies from mod to mod (and admin to admin).

I think the general consensus is to only resurrect old threads if you have something meaningful to add to the discussion and even then some from staff prefer users to rather start new threads.

10. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Given that everyone reads books at different times, I think this forum can be a little more relaxed about raising old threads, so long as it is to add their opinion on a book or the subject of the thread and not just spamming.

It makes sense to have all the reviews of a novel in one place, even if you are reading the novel a few years after everyone else.

11. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ironically, I meant to post it in the review thread but I had multiple threads on it open at one time.