Hawaii 5-0 Season 3 discussion/spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Enterprise is Great, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Great dad, lousy shot.

2. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

3. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, that's why he has Steve. :cool:

4. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I'm so glad CBS makes these episodes available to us in multiple ways. Comcast's OnDemand somehow cut off the last couple minutes of Monday's episode — they arrest the bad candidate, there's a lovely establishing shot of Honolulu, and BAM! ending credits roll. Fortunately I got to watch the actual ending on CBS.com. Nice scene with Steve, Danno, and the Governor.

5. Top41

Yes, that ending is super important since it wraps up the custody case! I'm surprised On Demand messed it up.

6. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It seems everyone's on demand comes from the same master network file. Mine from Time Warner was the same way.

7. Top41

Did anyone catch the Hookman remake last night? I have never seen the original--how did it compare? I enjoyed the banter per usual--Danny getting upset about Steve taking risks is always funny, and endearing. Love that Steve called him out on it at the end. Danny's denial was cute.

I thought the ep was fun--wish we'd seen more of Hookman because he was a creepy baddie! Loved his joke about cutting himself shaving.

8. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I've never seen the original unfortunately I found out today it was on ME-TV last night. I wish I had known or I would've recorded it. I liked how in the remake they used the font/coloring for the credits that they used in the original show. Nice. Good episode. They should get Peter Weller back to direct another episode. He did a great job with this one.

9. cardinal biggles

Part of what made the original "Hookman" unique was that Stoner was played by private investigator, sometimes-actor, and real-life double amputee Jay J. Armes, who actually had hooks for hands in the episode (making things like handling a sniper rifle and driving a car — which also goes in the drink — even more awesome to watch).

Overall the plot was pretty darn faithful to the original, and some of the locations even looked the same; when Stoner kills Keoki in the teaser, I'm pretty sure that's the same cemetery. In the original, McGarrett was one of the arresting HPD officers during the failed bank robbery; having it tie in to Steve's dad was a nice touch.

Edit: just for comparison, here's the trailer and first six minutes of the original "Hookman":

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj86EjzF8pM[/yt]

10. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

The original "Hookman" is available on Netflix streaming.

I just watched the two back-to-back and was pretty impressed at how closely the new episode followed the original. Obviously changes were made to the pacing to accommodate modern television standards and a 41-42 minute show as opposed to the 50 minute original but they stuck closely to the original in terms of major plot points even down to the green Mustang.

I won't spoil anything else as far as differences go but the original's well worth a viewing.

11. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Last night's ep was fun... I liked how first Glau went all Terminator on that bitch's ass and then Steve went all Indy on the douchebag's ass. :D :D

12. Top41

Finally saw last week's ep... I thought it was kind of meh. The Hawaiian fight club storyline didn't really appeal to me, and I was hoping it would be more of a Kamekona storyline. I was actually confused when Steve took the bullets out of the gun--I thought he was covering for Kamekona, but then he didn't say anything about the gun being unloaded, so I wasn't sure what we were supposed to make of it.

I love Summer Glau, but she just came off as really low energy and tired here. And Steve and his PI buddy are the *worst* spies ever! :lol: No wonder Doris was on to them both right away.

I'm hoping tonight's ep will be better but I'm not really excited about the football storyline. We'll see...

13. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

The case this week was rather lame but all the Steve/Danno convos were great. Lots of fun banter. Too bad that they didn't make their "Man-date". :lol: I guess the final scene made up for it though.

14. Top41

I loved this week's episode!! Mostly because of the Steve and Danno banter. They're so cute when they bicker! And I love how Catherine was all like, yeah, I'm not going to get in the middle of that--I'll just take Kono to the game. :lol: Danny was really cute about Peyton Manning--sad that he didn't get to meet him, but it was nice of Catherine to get him that signed football!

...there was a case? :lol: I totally called the sleazy boss as the killer.

Does anyone know when the next new ep is?

15. cardinal biggles

Not for a month. The Futon Critic has the next new episode slated for 3/18.

16. Top41

Oh wow!! That's a long wait without any new Steve & Danno banter. :o

17. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought I heard that H50 was going to be put in the CSI:NY Friday slot. That CBS blinked before NBC and ABC with Revolution and Castle. maybe there is still hope for Vegas to take Friday since Golden Boy is being tried in their spot.

18. cardinal biggles

I hadn't heard anything about a time slot change for Five-0, and I can't find anything that suggests it might be in the works. I hope that's good; I know the show's been struggling this season against Castle and Revolution.

Meanwhile, some news about the 3/18 episode:

Dog the Bounty Hunter guest stars as himself. A body falls from the sky and lands on Dog's SUV, so Steve and Danno get to investigate that one.

I think I'll pass. Or wait for On Demand.

19. Top41

I think the time slot change thing is all speculation since the ratings have been down this season. I think there's a possibility they'll move the show for the fall, but maybe not. It's recovered in the ratings a bit and is similar in the demo to CSI and Elementary (although it gets fewer total viewers), and it's above Vegas.

Meh, the 3/18 episode sounds... okay. Really, for me, I don't care so much what the case is about as long as there's good Steve and Danno banter. My favorite episodes are probably the Danno ones, but as long as the guys are bickering--or cuddling on the couch ;) --I'm happy.

Speaking of banter, I watched the rerun of the Steve and Danno boat ep on Monday night. It's one of my favs. Their bickering always cracks me up. :lol:

20. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Given NBC's brilliant strategy of putting a show that's pulling decent ratings (by their standards) on hiatus for 3 or 4 months, I don't think Revolution will be much of a factor on Monday nights for much longer.

That said, I wouldn't mind a H5-0 moving to a different night as Mondays have always been stacked for me for some reason. For the past few four years or so, my two-tuner HTPC DVR hasn't been enough for Mondays.