Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Editions Announced

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Mar 15, 2012.

1. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Word is that the PC version is exclusive to their own Digital Distribution platform called Beamdog and it wont appear on any other platform. A platform that I had never heard of until the announcement of BGEE, despite the fact that my main hobby is gaming and I mostly play PC games. It's almost like they want the PC version to fail by not putting it on Steam, or any other platform that anyone has heard of.

2. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

This is truely great news. BG is one of my all time favourite games series.

My main hope for this is that they improve the interface. In the old game it's really clunky. For example you can only have shortcuts to 3-4 spells/weapons at any one time. Which is really cumbersome if you have dozens to chose from and really slows down battles.

With regard to the graphics I doubt they will do anymore than allow for more modern resolutions. Which brings a certain problem because one will be so zoomed out from the action that it might make the experience a bit impersonal.

Edit: Just read they are planning on overhauling the interface for all platforms. So there is hope controls will be improved!

Plus there is talk about a new recruitable NPC and a new questline to get him/her.

Check it out at: http://www.sorcerers.net/#56875

3. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

The PC version is now available for $20. The iOS version is expected to be available next week; it was delayed due to a game-breaking bug. Android release is anticipated at some point prior to Christmas, while the Mac OSX port is pending Apple approval.

Kotaku has a nice "everything you should know" article aimed towards those who, like me, have never played BG.

4. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh, Baldurs gate 2 gives me bad memories. Got about half way when it started hard crashing my computer. Heard I needed to re-install, get new textures from someone elses disk, and restart. Got to about the same point again... hard crash. You win again Windows 98.

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let the butt kicking for goodness begin!

6. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

What part of the enhancements do you like most? I really enjoyed BGII, but still trying to decide if I need the enhanced versions. Thanks.

7. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

So basically they only changed the graphics slightly? I've played all the old Bioware games except Icewind Dale, but I really never had any problem with the way it looked and if that's all that was changed here I don't see any reason to play it again. Although I probably would play an "enhanced" Planescape Torment again.

8. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

No, Overhaul Games did quite a bit more than that. Look at the official site.

I haven't purchased the EE yet because I can't decide if I want the Windows or iOS version.