The War Doctor Returns in a New Novel

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, May 1, 2014.

1. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I've read over 100 Doctor Who novels (perhaps not a point of pride :lol:) and it's pretty rare and it's even rarer that he refers to himself as the Doctor in his internal thoughts- why would he? I don't refer to myself in the third person too often in my head.

When Virgin was publishing Doctor Who novels they banned writers from writing from the Doctor's perspective in order to keep mystery about him. Not sure if that mandate carried over to the BBC books, but a lot of authors followed it mandate or no.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do.

It's definitely not mandated by BBC Books, the NSAs have done it a few times. But you're right, it is rare, even the books which do it usually it's just for one portion when the Doctor is separated from companion or any other of the book's "guest stars." Of course, since this novel is giving the War Doctor a companion (according to DWM) most internal monologues may well be from the companion's POV anyway.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except we're not talking about a first-person internal monologue. We're talking about the literary device of writing a scene in the third person but telling it from within a particular character's point of view -- i.e. relating what they're thinking and what they perceive from their own perspective, and only describing other characters' actions from the viewpoint character's perspective.

For instance, from Boucher's Corpse Marker, p. 21-22 of the newly released "Monster Collection" edition:
    See? Third person, but within his thoughts. The standard way to write a third-person scene in the modern fiction style.

Another example is Alastair Reynolds's Harvest of Time. The very first page I opened to at random, p. 97, starts with this:

The books I've quoted from are BBC books. However, I pulled out one of my Virgin books at random, State of Change by Christopher Bulis, and here's what I found when I randomly opened to a page (p. 205-6):
    Of course, three books isn't that large a sample, but if Doctor's-POV scenes were that rare, then the probability of my randomly coming across them on the first page I opened to in two consecutive books would be extremely low. My ease in finding them suggests, therefore, that they are relatively common -- though it would require a much larger sample size to be sure.

(State of Change is a Sixth Doctor novel, though. I can certainly buy that Virgin banned scenes from the Seventh Doctor's POV in their New Adventures line, since he was meant to be a man of mystery. But maybe that didn't apply to the Missing Adventures.)

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Eh, they'll probably just call him Captain Grumpy.
    :D

5. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'm well aware of what third person point of view is, both limited and omniscient, but I don't see any reason the novel will refer to him as the Warrior instead of the Doctor. For business purposes, I imagine the BBC will want them to refer to him as the Doctor. We know he doubted how much he was truly the Doctor, but we also know we're reading a novel and that the BBC will probably want him to come across as clearly as possible for sales purposes.

The Virgin creed might've only been for the Seventh Doctor, that's possible. Still, come the BBC eighth Doctor books he was usually seen through the eyes of someone else or when the scene was just him it was always a very limited view into his mind.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

He could use the name he had before he started going by the Doctor.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, because of course we're never going to be told what the Doctor's real name was.

Hmm... I suppose it's possible to write a third-person scene from within a character's viewpoint and not use any name for that character at all in the narration. Just calling him "he" would be confusing if there were other male characters in the scene, but maybe a mix of "he," "the Time Lord," "the old man," things like that.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

The Artist Formerly Known as the Doctor, or squiggle for short.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

They could always do actual Internal Viewpoint, and simply have him refer to himself as "me" or "I"

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The dust jacket copy:

11. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

So I guess he's "the Doctor," then...!

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ooh, interesting. So the Doctor is leading a "flotilla of battle TARDISes"? So, does this mean he has some sort of official standing with Gallifrey's military? This description practically makes him an admiral, or at least a commodore.

I guess there's nothing really wrong with this, it's just in my own personal head canon I saw the War Doctor as a sort of mercenary fighting the Daleks and defending Gallifrey on his own and staying outside of the Gallifreyan military establishment.

And Cinder the Dalek hunter? Was Absalom Dak unavailable? Joking aside, I understand the necessity to create a new character to keep things accessible for readers who aren't familiar with Absalom Dak, not to mention the issue with royalties to Dak's creator. Presumably Cinder is a woman, as I imagine the book is going to have a prominent female protagonist.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is how a Timelord fights: They kill your grandparents.

This is how a Timelord fights: They blow up a galaxy to get one guy.

This is how a Timelord Fights: They wind back your odometer until you're sperm.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  14. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I wonder what the chances are of getting Hurt to read the audiobook edition.

15. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    That may have been their intention. In practice, it mostly just made him come across as inaccessible and distant. I find I'm liking the seventh Doctor less and less thanks to the Virgin books.

16. Allyn Gibson

I'm hopeful. I have an audiobook of Hurt reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and I'd love to hear his craggy voice read this.

17. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

I'd love a Big Finish War Doctor range :p

18. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is sounding worse and worse by the minute.

19. Allyn Gibson

I need some clarification. What is "this," what is it "worse" than at present, and why is it worse than that?

Otherwise, that's just meaningless words.

20. starsuperion

starsuperion Commodore Commodore

didn't the moment first identify itself as bad wolf, before stating it was in the form of rose Tyler?? If that's the case, it makes one wonder if the sentient moment is not somehow linked to the hyper persona of the bad wolf, since the bad wolf exists across all time and space, and the moment is or has access to all of time and space as well..it would almost seem that the two could very well be the same thing or the moment being a time lord manipulated aspect of the bad wolf. I often surmise that Billie Piper could easily make recurring comebacks in the form of the bad wolf as cameos on the show under the guise of bad wolf, not to mention her link psychically to the TARDIS from the events at the end of season 1.. wouldn't it be ironic if roses persona as the bad wolf, is the genetic template that gives rise to the doctors TARDIS producing an offspring called compassion, tho different in origin to the comic version..interesting possibilities there, if Moffat wanted to dip his toe in that pond..so to speak :cool:

incidentally, speaking of a pond I'd like to dip my big toe in, I wonder if they will somehow bring Karen back for a stint with Capaldi??