Lincoln Full Trailer

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by davejames, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not against fadeouts entirely. I also understand that this not a film with kitchy action and one-liners that seem tailor-made for trailers. I also understand there are elements of human drama, battles, politics, etc. But still, come on.. they can be a bit more creative with this.. It's like a secdong or two of a shot before it gradually fades to another shot. At least the Hobbit trailer from December... while also showing footage with disparate tones and including fadeouts, felt like it was actually showing us scenes, and scope, while still having a moment for Gandalf to smoke a pipe as they take part in a somber tune. But this I barely remember anything aside form a few shots on Lincoln talking to people and Civil War footage that looks remastered from Glory.

2. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, well it better include the time he met Bill & Ted and went to 1989 San Dimas at least!

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Great trailer, even though I could have done with a slightly few fade in and outs. I'm really getting excited about this fall season and hope it's a lot better then the disappointment that was the summer season. With this, The Master, Flight, Les Meserables, Skyfall, and The Hobbit amongst other films, it should be a fun few months, hopefully.

4. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I have to admit that's one thing I'm unsure about regarding the trailer. I don't doubt that DDL is an excellent choice to play Lincoln, but for some reason the voice just seems off to me. I guess I always imagined he had a relatively deep voice. :lol:

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Sweet jesus, for a moment I thought that was Heath Ledger. :wtf: The resemblance is irritating.

6. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re Tommy Lee Jones' bad "haircut," via Google:

I was reminded recently of the story of the woman who asked Thaddeus Stevens for a lock of his hair. By way of background, Stevens was totally bald and wore a wig that was apparently recognizable as such on sight. Here is a version I found in Ballou's Monthly Magazine (1891):
    Thaddeus Stevens, it is narrated by a New York paper, was sitting in his office one day chatting with a few friends, when an old lady wearing a poke-bonnet and blue goggles, and carrying a green umbrella, walked into the room. She looked about her as if in search of some one, and then asked solemnly, "Can you tell me where to find Thaddeus Stevens, the Apostle of Liberty?"

"I am Thaddeus Stevens," replied the owner of the name curtly — for he was not a man given to sentiment.

Stevens was a fearsome trial lawyer. In one case he was so biting on points of law the judge cautioned him against manifesting contempt of court. "Sir, I am trying mightily to conceal it!"

A man once approached him for his support for the post of county Poor Commissioner. Stevens replied that the fellow should be given the job, for no one would be a poorer commissioner.

Once, watching a Congressman pace up and down the floor during a tedious orations, he ask if the man would put in for mileage.

As he was dying, a visitor commiserated with him over his unhealthy appearance. Stevens looked and him and remarked that it was not his appearance that concerned him, but his disappearance.

"Are you Thad-de-us Stevens, the Apostle of Liberty?"

"I suppose I am, ma'am."

"Well," said the old lady, "I came from Bucks County to see Thaddeus Stevens, the Apostle of Liberty, and to take home with me a lock of his hair."

"The Apostle of Liberty" took off his red wig and handed it to her.

"There it is, ma'am," said he. "Take as much as you want."
    Re Lincoln's voice: Not only was Lincoln's voice high-pitched, it had a notable accent.

Prediction: Lincoln's predilection for dirty jokes in unmixed company will not be displayed.

PS Lincoln's first secretary of war, Simon Cameron, was a major Pennsylvania politico and long-time enemy of Stevens. Stevens said of the secretary that he would not steal a red-hot stove. Cameron's friends protested and demanded that Stevens retract this slander. Stevens agreeably said that Cameron would steal a red-hot stove!

PPS Can't resist a couple others about Stevens. Listening to a Congressman orate as he paced up and down, Steven interrupted to ask if he was going to ask for mileage.

Stevens was a fearsomely biting trial lawyer. A frustrated judge warned Stevens that he was in danger of displaying contempt for the court. Stevens replied that he was struggling mightily to conceal contempt for the court.

After introducing a bill, he looked over at an opponent who would speak next, against his bill, and announced that the next speaker would add a few feeble remarks on the subject.

In parliamentary session, where is it not done to forthrightly call a man a liar, he observed after a speech that nothing the man said was currently under judgment in a court of law.

In his last days, being carried into Congress, he once looked down at his porters and asked them who would carry him in when they were dead and gone.

Also in his last days, when a visitor commiserated on his unhealthy appearance, Stevens retorted that it wasn't his appearance that concerned him, it was his disappearance.

Every indication is that Stevens never planned a joke or anecdote but ad libbed. Apparently his best work was left out of the Congressional Record, being asides to other members on the proceedings.

In my youth I read The Clansman in my grandparents' library, where Stevens starred as one Stoneman, the true villain of the novel. Lincoln is barely acceptable nowadays, Stevens is much too radical to be acceptable. Stevens had crazy ideas about Freemasons, no crazier than Lincoln's ideas about colonization, but Stevens is barely remembered.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Looked sort of boring to me - I'd watch it on netflix on a rainy day but I wouldn't go to the cinema to see it.

8. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it in 3-D? I hope so.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most likely will be seeing this opening weekend.

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

They played that right after the presidential debate. That was a brilliant trailer. Very powerful. I can't wait to see this.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The new trailer is great, and has 73% fewer fadeouts! :bolian:

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

That is a lot better than the last one.

14. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Probably for the same reason I did - he was played SUPREMELY well by Gregory Peck in "The Blue and the Gray", Robert Barron in (already mentioned) Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and in Trek TOS' "Savage Curtain" by Lee Bergere, all of whom had relatively deep voices.

I'm curious to see if Sally Field will play Mary Todd Lincoln as the completely batshit crazy woman some accounts painted her as. Some say she positively tortured the man, psychologically - bordering on what we would consider spousal abuse.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  16. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Reports from the time indicate that Lincoln had a shrill, high-pitched voice. The Smithsonian has a good article on his voice.

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Wasn't there a wax-tube recording of Lincoln made back in the day? I know that article says he died before the phonograph, but I thought wax tubes were being used around that time.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

[​IMG]

Jared Harris about to FUCK SHIT UP as General Grant ... God, this movie is gonna own.

Also, this shot heavily implies that we'll see the River Queen meeting in the film: The only time General Sherman, General Grant, Admiral Porter (Farragut's brother and the other hero of Vicksburg) and President Lincoln all met in the same room.

20. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

So, who does he hunt in this one? Werewolves?