Fox orders more 'Fringe'

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PKerr, Oct 2, 2008.

1. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Show ranks No. 1 among new shows in 18-49

""Fringe" has gone mainstream, scoring a full-season order from Fox on Wednesday.

Fox's back nine pick up comes as "Fringe" has so far ranked No. 1 among all new shows in the adults 18-49 demo (with several more entries yet to bow).

"Fringe" bowed to lukewarm ratings, but made a stunning bounce in week two. After four segs, the show has averaged a 4.2 rating and 11 share, and 10.7 million viewers overall.

The skein, created by J.J. Abrams, Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, reps the second frosh series to get a full season thumb's up - following the CW's "90210."

"Fringe" revolves around an FBI agent (Anna Torv) who partners with an eccentric doctor (John Noble) and his son (Joshua Jackson) to track unusual, disturbing events happening around the globe.

Lance Reddick, Kirk Acevedo, Mark Valley, Blair Brown and Jasika Nicole also star.

"Fringe" comes from Warner Bros. TV. Abrams, Kurtzman, Orci, Jeff Pinkner and Bryan Burk exec produce."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117993202.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

It didn't grab me, but I'm always happy to see anything in the sf/f genre succeed. It means more shows next year in a similar (hopefully not too similar! we could use more variety) vein. ;)

3. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good...i can't say I'm really happy with the show so far but it has potential.
    Time may be what it needs to realize that potential and time is what shows are rarely given these days with axes falling left and right.

4. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

The main reason I'm watching is John Noble's awesome performance... (and the lead woman in her underwear :))

5. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

It still feels like an X-Files rip off...:shifty:

6. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Ah! I knew my ignoring the show would be good for it.

7. marc0702

marc0702 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think the show is getting really good. the first couple eps didn't really grab me, but the pas couple weeks have been a great improvement.

i loved x-files in its prime, and I'm happy to see a show pay homage to it, and be good. I have faith in the JJ abrams crew to hopefully do it right concerning the main mythology.

8. grabmygoblin

grabmygoblin Commodore Commodore

it didn't grab me until I began watching it as "Denethor and his Wacky Friends"... alternatively, you could try "X-Files 2: We're Mys-TEEER-i-OUS!!".

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I liked Mark Valley on Boston Legal, Lance Reddick on The Wire, and John Noble in Lord of The Rings...but I still haven't bothered tuning in. After nine seasons of The X-Files (and two movies) why should I bother with a show that's received lukewarm notices?

Still, this could bode well for sci-fi next season. As long as there aren't too many clones of this clone.

10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the fewer commercials for higher price will catch on with any other shows, especially the big hits that can charge more for ads.

11. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The SKEIN!!!! has been renewed. :p

Anyhoo, I'm glad. Again, 50 minute episodes on network TV is something that should happen more.

12. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

that's nice to see. I have only seen the first episode so far, but I've been recording them.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I've only seen 2eps and honestly not paid attention to actual "show" time vs commercial.

Each ep has been 50 minutes, really? Versus the what, 42-44 min that most shows now run in an hour slot.
    Is that why I hear the "Fringe will return in 90 seconds" type voiceover? They are clueing us the viewer into the fact that this show doesn't have the normal commercial breaks.

14. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they're doing experiments with this show. The time thing is for people with PVRs who can skip commercials if they want and, as such, the show has fewer commercials which leads to longer episodes.

The show as it stands is nearly 50 minutes in total where as most shows now are 40-42 minutes... so, there's actually time to basically have another act in the episode, ala old school Star Trek style.

15. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

The last couple of episodes have been more interesting, so I'm glad to hear this, and hope it continues to improve.

16. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep.

17. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's good, I like it.

18. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

The show is beginning to build. Who is the strange bald man and how is he able to read minds? Who is everyone working for REALLY? What is the Pattern? Is Peter some kind of experiment?

19. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

This program really does have potential and it is nice that it will have time to "find its legs", something most programs don't get these days.

20. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the use of the men-in-black mythos is very suggestive
    good questions

my suspicion is yes.