Intrepid Updates

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by USS Intrepid, Aug 21, 2011.

1. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Been a while since we've released anything, and I know this stuff is an acquired taste, but I thought I'd let folks know that the vignette Machinations is now available for viewing on YouTube.

A bit of background to this one. We actually shot this about four years ago, and it was the first thing we shot after finishing Heavy Lies the Crown. At the time, I'd just bought a (new) second hand prosumer camcorder to replace the consumer model we'd used up to that point. Machinations was written as an 'easy' short that we figured we could shoot in a short time, and release fairly quickly.

In fact it turned out to be far more challenging than we'd expected, due to the nature of some of the effects work involved. One particular effect was one of the major delays, and it took us a while to find someone willing to tackle that. I was very grateful when Steve Gilson stepped up to the plate, and I think he did a great job under the circumstances.

The other delay was getting someone who could build the station model for us. We did initially have someone lined up, but after a number of months he was unable to complete the project due to personal reasons. Luckily, Dennis Bailey very kindly stepped in and I absolutely love what he created for us.

There are some shortcomings to Machinations, most of which can be attributed to the fact that it was shot before we learned certain lessons. The rest are just plain incompetence. ;)

So anyway, it can be viewed on YouTube at the following link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5vmyXPA0Zs

For those of you who'd rather download and watch at your leisure, we'll have Quicktime and Windows Media versions available within a few days.

Oh, and the sharp-eyed amongst you may spot a couple of Hidden Frontier alumni. :)

2. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Nice to hear that you've been busy. I really appreciate the way you've been so forthcoming about the technical issues that have popped up. I'm sure it's enlightened a lot of people who think that doing a fan film is just getting some people together and saying "Let's put on a show!". The audio production I'm involved with has provided me with quite an education and that's after some 30 years in radio. The very thought of trying to put together a video production is enough to give me the heebie-jeebies!

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very good!

Far too brief! :) Please forgive my unfamiliarity with the Intrepid continuity, but the story of the organic aliens will be continued I hope?

Alan Christison turned in a great performance as Commander Navar.

4. USS Intrepid

Mike believe me, I'd be a fool not to be honest about the difficulties we face. The fact we've released so little material over the years is disappointing to me, but largely due to technical and logistical issues. :)

And John, glad you enjoyed it. To answer your question, yes, we will be learning more about the Surai.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed this, especially the effects for the alien critter.

6. CaptainSerek

CaptainSerek Commander Red Shirt

I saw your recent vignette Nick and it was a good watch. Thanks for the release.

7. USS Intrepid

Thanks guys. :)

8. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Rock on! I can't watch it right now but will do so when I get home this evening.

9. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Intrepid was my first fan film, and remains tied with a few others for my favorite... OK, it's still my favorite, there's just not ENOUGH!

10. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

I just finished watching "Machinations," and as usual with Intrepid, it was very enjoyable. I know we fans are supposed to be above such things, but the most impressive thing in the film to me is that incredible space station! It might even have a better design than Deep Space Nine, and that's really saying something! And yeah, the character interaction was cool, too.....

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Realizing you shot this four years ago and prior to your more recent experience I'm going to let you slide on the camera stuff. ;)

The one thing that did bother me was an overuse of dramatic music over relatively mundane dialog. I found that distracting.

Oh, and what was that slightly crumpled looking paper in the first scene? :)

12. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

Nick, you guys always put forth a solid effort. I liked it. Any word on the Picard episode?

13. USS Intrepid

Thanks for the kind words folks. :)

Phew!

That's not an unfair criticism, though I think there's a degree of different strokes to this as well. I can't really speak as to what the composer was aiming for, and I have to say it didn't really bother me. But, like I say, it's not an unfair criticism. Maybe I'll drag Bodo over here to comment. :)

I was hoping you wouldn't spot that. :whistle:

Unfortunately no, not yet. We really need to do some ADR on it, and scheduling that is proving difficult.

14. Hudson_uk

Hudson_uk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Crumpled paper ? You mean the fact that the station is under construction and suffering from some technical problems ? :)

15. MikeH92467

Damn yard monkeys don't know how to use a disposal chute...

16. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I loved it. I'm a mad fan of Intrepid.

17. USS Intrepid

18. MikeH92467

Good concept, good acting and steadily improving production values. What's not to like? :)

19. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

Yay! Unfortunately I probably won't be able to watch it for a few days but I'm sure it will be worth it.

20. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Taking a look at it myself now. I haven't been on the site for awhile so I wanted to see what was new. Nice to see there is some new Intrepid through.