X-files Homicide and Law and order are all set in same universe.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TEH BABA, Sep 5, 2008.

1. TEH BABA

TEH BABA Commodore Commodore

cool facts thank you wiki

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

3. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just because there's one crossover, it doesn't mean that two series exist in the same reality. After all, there was a Star Trek TNG/X-Men crossover novel. It could simply be that several universes have their own version of John Munch, similar to how Texas Ranger Earl McGraw appears in four of Quentin Tarantino's films.

4. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Now I have this image of Bobby and Alex tracking down the sewer monster.

6. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

I never saw that episode of X-Files. Why did it feature Munch? Was it set in Baltimore?

The Wire may also be set in the same universe: the last episode of the last season featured a cameo by Belzer, though it wasn't clear if he ws playing Munch or not.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The episode is "Unusual Suspects". The episode is set in 1989, showing how the Lone Gunmen got together and how they met Mulder.

The Gunmen meet at an electronics convention in Baltimore and end up in trouble with the police, represented by Detective Munch. Byers describes to him what had happened in the episode up until that point, which might explain why Munch believed in conspiracies in Homicide.

The HBO series Oz might also be linked to St. Elsewhere (and thus Homicide and many other shows) since the contract to run the prison's hospital wing was won by a company called Wygert who also took over the hospital in St. Elsewhere. The fact that Tom Fontana worked on all three shows is no coincidence.

8. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. There was a rather lengthy list someone posted a few months ago that revealed everything from St. Elsewhere, Knight Rider, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Lost, and just about everything I have ever watched are connected by characters, implied relationships, fictional products, etc. I had no idea, say, Oceanic Airlines existed outside of Lost, but the name was used in at least three shows.

9. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

Then, of course, there is the Morley connection...

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

More than just three.

It's largely because of the use of stock footage from Executive Decision.

Alias and Lost, however, are linked not only through the use of Oceanic Airlines but because Charlie's band Driveshaft were played at a party held in an episode of Alias.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

X-Files is fictional within the Law & Order/Homicide universe, even if Munch is in both.

This is because (in an early episode of Homicide) Munch says something about "On Friday nights, most people are home watching X-Files.

12. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Likewise, it has been established that 'The Simpsons' is a fictional show within 'Futurama,' while at the same time we have seen that 'Futurama' is a fictional show within 'The Simpsons!'

Sometimes this stuff doesn't have to make total sense.

13. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

that guy's wrong when he discusses nu-KR and TKR being linked, because they've explicitly said nu-KR only follows classic KR...

14. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I've seen this discussion before. The best way to answer it: We've seen how much power CGB Spender has - in order to discredit Scully and Mulder, and to make their lives more difficult, he had the people at Fox create and run a show called The X Files (similar to the military using Wormhole Extreme! as a cover for the Stargate program).

15. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Well, the theory of the website is that if A and B and connected and and B and C are connected, then A and C are connected (I'm now having flashes of proofs in high school geometry coming back).

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just because shows might share characters doesn't mean they are connected, as such.

We know Law & Order and Homicide share a universe, because they had regular crossovers.

But the mere existence of a *character* from one show, on another show, does not necessarily link the two. For example, as I already pointed out, just because John Munch appears in seven or so different series, doesn't mean they all share the same universe. Indeed, X-Files is proof against that.

And please, let's not bring up Tommy Westphall again, okay? Just because people from St. Elsewhere might appear in another show, it doesn't mean that other show is:
    a part of Tommy's dream. Tommy can dream about people who really exist! So even if the show, St. Elsewhere, was a dream of Tommy's, that doesn't mean that the events depicted therein did not really happen.

17. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I think that misses the point, though - it's fun to try to find links between all these shows. We're not compromising the show's creative vision or anything daft like that, we're just playing a game.

18. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Yes, but the site also acknowledges official declarations about any show. The showrunners of nu-KR have said that the show is a direct continuation of the original series and nothing else, so that alone is enough to make that article wrong. I actually wrote to them months ago about that, seems like they ignored my email.

19. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Well if we're going for one off appearances Knight Rider and Star Trek are the same universe because in TKR there is a scene that mentions Doctor Jackson Roykirk working on a NASA Probe called NOMAD.

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

which is mentioned on the site...

he also assumes that just because the Montecito from Las Vegas appears in a show, all other shows NBC used those sets on are set in the same universe.

which is daft since buildings can be seen in fictional buildings in different universes and have different things happen there. like, for example, the White House...