The Blair Witch Project

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'll admit to this movie being a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. I kind of liked it, it was an interesting premise and I think the "eerieness" of it worked fairly well. If anything I just wish the "actors" had a bit deeper dialogue to give then variations on curses. ;)

Anyway. Before it came out I never heard a lick of any of the hype/hoax that built it up. I didn't see the "documentary" on it that purported to be about the kids' disapperance or see any of the interent nonsense building it up. When I finally did hear about all of that I looked at the guy who told me and asked if he was fucking stupid for thinking something like that "really happened" and that the discovered video was the "real thing."

He seemed to think the video really was the discovered footage of the last moments of these guys' lives before being killed by The Blair Witch.

Oh. Nevermind that late-mode (for then) Jetta in the background early in a movie set in 1991. It's REAL.

So did you fall for it?

Did you believe that the events depicted in "The Blair Witch Project" "really happened" and that the movie was really the disocvered and edited, events of those days they were lost in the woods being hunted by some evil specter pissed off her stick figures were being disturbed by a bunch of foul-mouthed film students?

2. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I never fell for it.

But I was impressed by the way the film was promoted - and I love the pseudo-documentaries. Watching the two films and docs in the right order is the only way to go - it even makes you realize exactly why Blair Witch 2 is the film that it is...

ITL, Blair Witch fan.

3. L1A1 Rocker

L1A1 Rocker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I never liked the second one. First of all, it was "too high budget" to work for me compared to the first, it was hard for me to see if it was supposed to "take place in the Blair Witch universe" or "ours." (The sheriff who said "Got-dammed" was a caricature of small-town sherrifs) and I dunno, I just didn't find it "as creepy."

I think for the original watching the documentary and then TBW is the best way to go.

TBW does deserve a lot of credit for pretty much inventing internet viral marketing.

5. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Well, I didn't "fall for it." It did creep me out, though.

Of course, I was living in the middle of a 500 acre, forested, boy scout camp at the time. That may have had something to do with it.

6. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who 'fell' for it, or if everyone who did is just too ashamed to admit it. :p I saw it with a friend in 1999 and we totally thought it was real footage. On the way home after seeing it, we kept going on about how scared we were that the Blair Witch was gonna get us. Then we told some girl, she explained to us the whole fake marketing scheme, and we both felt like idiots. The end. :)

7. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

No I didn't fall for it and don't know anybody that did.
    I do remember being extremely disappointed in it and would not recommend it to someone who asked for a suggestion for a scary movie.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I can't stand it. It has historic importance in the film industry, in how it was shot (the use of digital due to the low budget being justified by making the film a pseudo-documentary) and marketed (viral marketing on the internet), but as a film I find it all too similar in mode to Cannibal Holocaust, made more than dozen years previous, and not nearly as effective. The actors are annoying and the film, especially when not experienced in a theatre full of people ready to be scared by anything, isn't scary--it's boring.

9. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Talk about two guys who didn't pan out though. Myrick and Sanchez were supposed to be the next big thing in movies. It is only recently that they have reappeared on the scene.

10. Mr Nighttime

Mr Nighttime Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was bored throughout the whole movie. It never scared me, never made me feel one iota of suspense, never impressed me at all.

Until nuStar Trek...that was the most over-hyped disappointment I had ever seen.

11. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still haven't seen this movie.
    Every time I decide to see it, something else comes up.

12. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait, you actually went and saw the whole movie and still thought it was real?! Further, you really believed it was the evil spirit of a dead witch that had done this? :wtf:

You didn't wonder how footage of the apparently real murder of 3 teenagers made it into wide release in cinemas in the handy form of a 90 minute movie?

13. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was excellent. The horror genre has been stale for years (and arguably still is). Comparisons to Cannibal Holocaust are a bit unfair. You may as well call the new Star Trek unoriginal because it has spaceships in it.

14. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL Anyone who 'fell for it' is a bit dim, really. I know we're close, but I don't think society is really into the idea of promoting the actual deaths of teenagers as the 'must see movie of the season'

15. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

Never thought it was real.

Did watch it, and never got engaged by any of the characters. Frankly, they were all walking Darwin Awards in waiting. They were the kind of people you hope didn't manage to breed before they met their demise.

16. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

Well we were in Korea. We never saw any commercials for the movie. We just went into it knowing nothing. Also, we were teenagers. :cool:

17. Plomeek Broth

Plomeek Broth Commander Red Shirt

I have never understood why anyone would have thought the film was real. I saw it opening night when it was released, knew it was just "movie", and was thrilled and the ending scared the heck out of me. I loved how the directors made something with little budget and how they forced the audience to use their imagination instilling more fear by never "showing" the Blair Witch. Excellent film.

18. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember going to see this when I was on vacation ten years ago. Did I think it was real? About as much as I thought Cloverfield was. ;)

There was a lot of hype surrounding this movie, with people saying it was one of the scariest films they'd seen in years. When it was over, I was still waiting for the "scary" parts to happen -- all it really did was bore me. I watched it again a few years ago when I caught it on TV, just to see if it was any better than I remembered. It wasn't.

I appreciate the attempt at doing something a little different, but unfortunately I found the execution to be lacking.

19. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

This is one of those films that loses effectiveness as time goes on, much like Sixth Sense. When people hype something up as so great and scary, you go into it with expectations that are too high.

I saw it before a lot of people I knew did, and it scared me quite a bit. I didn't think it was real, but it was still a freaky movie, especially that very last scene. The screaming in the background while we are in the corner....*shudder* Still creepy to me.

20. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I went backpacking 3 days after seeing and enjoying Blair Witch.