Captain America: The Winter Soldier pre-release thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I love it that doing female-led shorts like Item 47 and Agent Carter is meant to try to build audience demand for a female-led feature. I just wish they'd show the shorts in theaters!

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

It would be interesting if "Nick Fury" is just a name the various heads of S.H.I.E.L.D. have used over the years. Perhaps Jackson's character has not really lost an eye. Its really a visual interface device and a tribute to a predecessor and giving the wrong impression of a limitation.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

So, the "Jame Bond" theory?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Yeah but it would make a LOT more sense here! Its just him and these films are relevantly new. With Bond it does not explain all the other characters or the few references to his back story.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I actually think it would be cool if they had a WWII-era Fury who was white and if they offered absolutely no explanation. Sure, heads would melt but that would be a bonus.

6. Christopher

In The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, it was Nick Fury's father Jack Fury who was a member of the Howling Commandos. No explanation how a black man could've been in combat in WWII, but then, it was an alternate history where WWII was fought against HYDRA rather than the Nazis.

Come to think of it, didn't Gabe Jones appear in Captain America: The First Avenger? So there's precedent in the MCU.

7. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of using them as DVD bonus features to get more people interested in buying them?

8. Nerys Myk

There were black men (entire units even) in combat during WWII, especially in the latter half of the war. They just weren't in white units.

9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

More than 700 black men were killed in combat in WWII.

10. CaptainCanada

I would imagine he's referring to the commandos being an integrated unit.

But that's been the case since the squad was created by Lee and Kirby in the 60s, and they were both actual veterans who had lived through the era, so they knew it would have been impossible in reality. The Howling Commandos were deliberately ahistorical from the beginning.

11. Christopher

Yes, it would, and that is one reason I wish it would happen. I don't think it's fair that those of us who can't afford to buy BluRays on a regular basis, who are limited to theater tickets or rentals or streaming or On Demand, have to be deprived of the opportunity to see these shorts.

You're right, of course. I should have remembered that. I wrote in haste and got it wrong.

12. CaptainCanada

How is "unfair" to create additional content for people willing to pay more?

13. Christopher

^Because I can't afford it. And if I can't see it, it's unfair. :p ;)

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. I got Thor from ITunes, and did the first CA streaming so I haven't seen any of them either. I did the rented the DVD for Avengers, but never saw Item 47 for some reason. Was it not on the rental versions?

I keep hoping they'll eventually release them on their own either on a seperate discs or through one of the streaming services. They did that for the DC Showcase shorts that came with several of the DC Universe Animated Movies.

15. Christopher

Part of the reason I wish they'd show them in theaters is that it would be cool. It used to be normal to show short subjects before movies in the theater, but now it's vanishingly rare -- only Pixar really seems to make theatrical shorts anymore. And that's a shame, because it's cool to get a bonus before the movie. At least it's better than an endless barrage of commercials and trailers.

16. Nerys Myk

How will we know when to silence our cell phones?

17. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

No way they will show the shorts in the theaters, to much money lost that way. By the end of the viewing day you would lose a whole showtime. Course they could just raise the ticket price for the theater that shows the shorts.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

How would showing the shorts in theater work? Wouldn't the actors have to be paid more since their footage is in theaters rather than direct to video? Maybe that wouldn't be cost effective for Marvel Studios?:confused:

19. Christopher

That would be a more convincing argument if we didn't have so many movies pushing two and a half to three hours. If there's room for a Peter Jackson movie, there's room for a more normal-sized movie plus a ten-minute short.

And I say again: shorts are cool. This is something we should want, something we should brainstorm ways that we can have, not just look for excuses to deny it to ourselves.

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

A character whose backstory I think is screaming to be fleshed out in a One-Shot is Howard Stark. How did he go from the likeable guy we saw in Captain America: The First Avenger to the cold and distant man Tony remembered him to be?

Obviously, recreating the Tessaract particle he studied was very important to him or he wouldn't have hidden the particle design in the layout of the Stark Expo for Tony to discover years later. Why was it so important to him? Was he really the "I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once" guy described in Iron Man or did he have a larger agenda? Such a story could show early interactions with Obidiah Stane and Ivan Vanko.