Grammar Nazi Thread: Smooshing Words Together

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by scotpens, Apr 22, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It adds cuteness to bigness therefore, win!

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

That's not how it works. Words are not created to fulfill a need.

3. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

That's one of my pet peeves. If we water down the word "unique", there is no other single word to replace it, just the phrase "one of a kind".

My other current pet peeve is using "literally" to mean, well, not literally. That one gives me a (figurative) headache!

4. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"If everything is awesome and nothing is not awesome, then by definition everything is just mediocre!" -Ellie Bartowsky, Chuck

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn what words you use as long as you spell them right. And use punctuation. Yeah.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah baby.

6. The Mirrorball Man

[yt]http://youtu.be/Uh4DGUNWmiU?t=2m34s[/yt]

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

People can invent words all they want. I just want them to use commas properly.

8. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

THis makes me think you've missed my point, though. Language doesn't evolve based just on necessity. Do you take such umbrage at every word that is redundant? Because if you do, I don't know how you can even stand to speak English -- with its dual Latin and Germanic roots, we have redundant words for nearly everything! And I don't think the specific example of 'deplane' is the result of ignorance of the word 'disembark,' it is more specified -- you can't deplane a boat. Adding to our language makes it richer, not poorer.

Winningest is also a word. It's even in the dictionary. It makes for a great adjetive: "Just flash them your winningest smile and be honest!" Why not just enjoy the evolution of language, and the inventiveness and playfulness it so often illustrates rather than getting annoyed by it?

Oh, I also love it when people use 'literally' incorrectly, because the imagery is fucking hilarious.

9. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure which of my smiles is winningest. One has to be winninger than the others though.

10. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

It's the toothiest one. Unless you have bad teeth, which would be very unwinningful.

11. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

I once saw an ad for an "exclusive all-inclusive" resort, where each suite was "truly unique."

What I can't stand is business-speak. Synergize, incentivize, value-add, actionable, coopetition. ICK.

12. Yoda

Not sure if serious.

13. Third Nacelle

14. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm. I'm getting a nice white rectangle. Something tells me that's not what you intended to post.

15. Yoda

I can't stand the use of the word "drop" in regards to a release date. It seems like it almost fills a need, but not quite... I mean I don't think saying "release" or "come out" is all that cumbersome. And if it's going to have to be a thing, at least only use it for albums. For the love of god, don't tell me that the new firmware for my phone is going to "drop" soon.

16. The Mirrorball Man

You know what? I tried it twice and when it didn't work the second time, I just went along with it and thought: "alright, this is my statement, this is what I want to say to the world! Language is the White Rectangle!"

17. Yoda

Spoiler: he's trying to link a vid with President Bartlett laying the grammatical smackdown on some bush-league speechwriter.

Ooh, "smackdown". There's a good smooshed word.

18. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely true, language is a living thing that shifts and evolves over time. However, it's one thing when a sensible change is introduced (e.g. new technology or social construct) that inspires a new word, but another when people are coming up with something just for the sake of sounding cool or being lazy. The latter is what gets me. While "chillax" is entertaining in a comedic venue, using it in real life just telegraphs "poser"...
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz4CIqRtgY4[/yt]

19. Third Nacelle

[​IMG]

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

If having more words makes a language richer, then words pronunced the same but spelt differently should apply as well. After all in English the words metre and meter mean two different things as do the words tyre and tire. So if adding to the language makes it richer then doesn't the opposite apply?

In regards to English, remember the saying that "Britain and America are two countries divided by a common language". As for English itslef it does love to borrow words from other languages.