Dr. Crusher's Personality- A Little Harsh Sometimes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Ro_Laren, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I was talking to my sister today about Dr. Crusher's personality. In a way, she seems a little cold to me. Not that she is a rude person or doesn't have emotions, but she seemed a little harsh sometimes.

For example, in the episode The Perfect Mate, Picard is in his quarters explaining to Bev his difficulties interacting with Kamala. Bev's response was something like, "well, I wish I could help you Jean-Luc." And she didn't even seem sincere when saying that. I don't know if it is just me, but if I am "pouring out my heart" to a close friend and their response is just "I wish I could help you" then I would be offended! Even if they didn't know what to say, they should just listen and keep their mouth shut. Or say something like, "I know this must be hard for you." Of course she cares about Jean-Luc as a friend, but she didn't seem very compassionate or even diplomatic at that moment. Of course, you could just say Bev responded like that because she didn't like what Kamala represented (a woman spending her whole life in slavery waiting to get married... and also a man that could have any man on the Enterprise that she wanted).

Bev has seemed harsh at other times too, but I feel to tired (and too lazy) to think of any right now. My sister says that Bev is just to the point about things and that she isn't cold. I'm not trying to make this an anti-Bev or Bev thrashing thread. I always liked the character. I am just wondering if anyone else ever thought this about her.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Haven't seen that episode in some time, but in a case like that I'd likely take it as symptomatic of the UST between Picard and Crusher...she got defensive when he wanted to talk about another woman.

3. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Almost all the characters on TNG were emotionally cold.

4. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Crusher had a personality? Missed it! Seriously, she's one of my least favorite ST characters, let alone TNG characters. I always wished they had made Troi the CMO instead of creating the "sexual tension for Picard" character Dr. Crusher eventually became! -- RR

5. zenophite

zenophite Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the chemistry and tension between them was so hot it could freeze methane.

6. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think Crusher was ever harsh, though she was detached.

Eventually? I thought that was there from the pilot.

7. Captain Leslie

Captain Leslie Lieutenant Red Shirt

Crusher by name....cold arrogant and self centred. pretty unsympathetic character really.

8. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

I believe you have hit the nail on the head.

9. Rhaenys

Rhaenys Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't find her harsh.
    I think she does have a personality, although she didn't have much screen time ir episodes. She is warm, intelligent and with a lot of humanity - for example in I, Borg,[COLOR=#000000] first she wanted to save the wounded Borg, and then after, she was against the plan of destroying Borg by using Hugh. Or in Ethics, when she opposed to the scientist and doctor who was testing her drugs on patients. And she was there for Picard in Sarek, when he needed her so much.
    [/COLOR]

10. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't know she had one...

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

In that particular ep, she's just totally pissed that JLP is getting hot under the collar about another woman. ;)

In general, Crusher is often a bit pushy because of excessive, blind compassion and I get the feeling she uses her closeness to Picard to get him to do things against his better judgement. She often suggests doing stuff that's undiplomatic or risky for purely compassionate or human-centric reasons, esp. in the early seasons but also occasionally later on. She gets more balanced once she passes the bridge exam, though, which is a nice development on the part of the writers.

12. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. She acted kind of pissy when Nella was questioning her about Picard when it was obvious Nella was moving in on her territory.

One scene I always thought was kind of cold was when Amanda Rodgers was with her talking about her parents death and asking about Beverly's husband. Now I am sure Beverly didn't want to talk about her dead husband, but Amanda was just trying to bond with her over a similar experience and Beverly looked downright annoyed.

13. Red Ranger

Just out of curiousity have any of you ever seen Gates McFadden interviewed? She seems like a bitch on wheels to me! -- RR

14. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

But it was very appropriate when Q turned her into an Irish Setter :rommie:

15. Red Ranger

Fuck yeah! :lol: -- RR

16. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree with your assessment. I just watched "Lessons" last night on DVD and Crusher and Picard have quite a few scenes together. Whenever Picard mentioned his new love interest you could see a bit of jealousy on Crushers face. There was alot of tension there I would say on Crushers part and for some reason Picard was totally oblivious to it. I mean Crusher and Picard are having dinner and he starts asking her about this new woman on the ship and you could see it made her uncomfortable but he just went on and on about her.

17. Rhaenys

Rhaenys Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

But I think we never saw her passing bridge exam, did we?
    That was Troi, Beverly just mentioned in one episode that she took that exam so she could have the bridge at night...

18. Red Ranger

This is true. For all we know, she either passed the test before she boarded Enterprise at Farpoint, or during the year she spent at Starfleet Medical. Wonder if anyone's explored this gap in any novel or other non-canon source?

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The episode that picks up on Crusher's bridge test results is "Descent", IIRC, when Picard puts her in charge of the ship.

20. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

One wonders chiefly about that year at Starfleet Medical, I guess.

Was that a reward? Was Crusher kicked off the E-D for not measuring up to Flagship standards? Did Picard convince Starfleet, or vice versa, that it was not a good idea to have an ex-lover (or whatever their joint past) as one's CMO? Or is it just standard practice to have profilic CMOs and other high-ranking medical personnel spend twelve months helming Starfleet Medical (Division? Hospital?) and then return to their duties?

If the return wasn't automatic, was it because Crusher was a failure as head of SF Medical? Because Picard missed her? Because she missed Picard or the E-D assignment in general?

And what happened to Pulaski? Did she opt to leave? Was she shanghaied by Starfleet Intelligence or S31 for her unparalleled skills at inducing amnesia? Was she suddenly lost in a tragic accident, or called elsewhere by one?

Certainly the characters onscreen never make a big deal out of it. And just as certainly they offer no explanations or excuses. Novels tell us a thing or two about where Pulaski went, but do they tell us anything about Crusher's comings and goings?

Timo Saloniemi