Cast The Inevitable Batman Reboot

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captaindemotion, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Just for fun. Because you know it's going to happen.

I'd guess that the actors on the shortlist last time round are probably a little too long in the tooth this time out, though I could be wrong. Jake Gyllenhall might just still be in the running, though I can't help but wonder if he might be out because of the Maggie-as-Rachel thing, not to mention the Heath Ledger connection! Hollywood might be afeared that we simple fans would get totally confuddld.

A better bet might be to look at those who were in the running for Man of Steel (especially if, as is rumoured, WB wants the two franchises to merge). Armie Hammer, who was to play Batman in George Miller's abortive Justice League movie must be a contender. He plays the lead in next year's Lone Ranger but he wouldn't be the first actor to star in two franchises.

Joe Manganiello, who was Flash Thompson in Spider-man and plays Alcide in True Blood, apparently also had an audition for MOS. He has the build and the height, but - and I know this is kinduva silly but - he has a sort of funny shaped nose which might look a bit weird in a Batman mask.

Chris Hemsworth's little bro Liam, having narrowly lost out in Thor, is breaking through in his own right and will be in this year's Expendables 2, among other things. Might there be room for a second superhero in the family?

For Commissioner Gordon, I think Bryan Cranston of Breaking Bad, who voiced Gordon in the animated Year One, would be an excellent replacement for Gary Oldman.

Not sure if they'll retain Lucius Fox in the reboot. After all, he wasn't in the previous movies and they may feel he's too closely associated with the Nolanverse (just like The Amazing Spider-man omitted JJ Jameson and the Osbornes, for example). But if he's back, I could see Lawrence Fishburne or The Wire's Clarke Peters in the role.

Alfred is pretty indispensable to any Batman movie. Will they stick with a cockney chappie like Caine or make him posher, like the late Michael Gough? Michael Caine's old flatmate Terence Stamp could play him in either fashion. Patrick Malahide looks quite like the Alfred from the comics and I could see him with a good take on sardonic one-liners (even if he's generally associated with villains).

Like TAS, I'd imagine that this series of movies will, initially at least, avoid villains used by the last set. Which means a chance to cast bad guys Nolan omitted. Paul Giamatti for Penguin? Neil Patrick Harris for The Riddler?

Of course, you just know that we're all going to be completely wide of the mark (who would have predicted Rhys Ifans for the Lizard or Michael Shannon as Zod, for example?). But isn't that half the fun?

2. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

I want it to be Batman Beyond, and Kevin Conroy must, must play Bruce Wayne.

3. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about Taylor Lautner? Sure they're going to do a lot to get him out of costume...but he's young, athletic, used to being in a "dark" seres.

This is assuming they want way more than a trilogy.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Hmmm. I was actually thinking that they may be thinking about R-Patz. Not that I'd particularly care for anyone from the Twishite series to be involved.

5. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

:techman: Agreed!

6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Come on Melancholia!

7. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

For Bruce/Batman, I would go with Jim Cavieziel. I know that goes against getting someone younger for the role. But let's face it - he pretty much is already playing Batman on Person of Interest.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt they would use a the same actor for a video game and a movie, but I could see Stana Katic as a good Talia al Ghul. I thought she was great in Arkham City, and she has the right look in real life.
    EDIT: What about David Boreanaz for Bruce Wayne/Batman?

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

David was long rumoured and seemed to be the internet choice to be Batman in "Batman Begins". I know he was my secondary pick after Christian Bale. I don't know that David would be interested at all. Bryan Crantson is also my choice for Jim Gordon. I kind of like the idea of Arnie Hammer as Bruce. It's difficult for me since we really don't have any real details of the direction Warner Bros is going in right now.

I'd wish we get a live action "Batman Beyond" adaptation like they were considering doing back in 2001/02. To me this is pretty much the last frontier where Batman's mythos is concerned that hasn't been explored in film yet.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Nolan pretty much stole the Batmobile from Batman Beyond and put it in TDKR and named it The Bat.;)

11. Admiral_Young

Indeed. A nice homage :)

12. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If it were a Batman Beyond movie, I'd frickin' love to see Michelle Fairley as Babs.

In a straight reboot, how about Betty Sun Li as Cass Cain. (Though she may be a little old now.)

13. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

The casting really depends on what kind of Batman movie they eventually decide to make. If rumors are true, it sounds like they are opting for a slightly established Batman in his second or third year, meaning he can still be relatively young.

Unlike last time, I don't have a leading contender for Bruce Wayne/Batman. I wanted Christian Bale for a very long time, and I was very surprised and elated when he was cast. This time around, I really have no idea who could play the part. Jake Gyllenhaal would still be interesting. I know he was a contender for the part in Batman Begins and according to David Goyer, he was the runner-up (and Goyer's first pick for the role). I'm not sure if he would still be interested, or if WB would still want him, though. I seriously think Ryan Gosling is going to be a big name being thrown around for the part. He's got the pedigree and he's at the perfect stage in his career to do a movie like Batman. I'm not sure if he would be interested, but he has the acting chops (and then some) for the role. Armie Hammer would be an interesting choice. He showed good acting chops in The Social Network. Joe Manganiello is a good actor, but I don't think he's right for Batman. Matt Bomer, who was McG's top choice to play Superman, could also be an interesting pick for the Caped Crusader.

If they are going for an older Batman, which is doubtful, Jon Hamm would make a great Bruce Wayne/Batman. I know he was rumored for Man of Steel last year, but alternatively I think he would make for a great Bruce Wayne that is older and more mature. Similarly, Guy Pearce was someone who always intrigued me for the character. Back during the casting days for Batman Begins, Pearce was briefly rumored (probably because he appeared in Nolan's Memento) and I was excited at that notion. I still think Pearce would be interesting. I can also see bigger name actors like Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, and Michael Fassbender being bandied about.

As for James Gordon, there is really only one guy who should replace Gary Oldman: Breaking Bad's Bryan Cranston. He was superb when he voiced Gordon in the animated Batman: Year One movie, and while that may put him out of contention for the role, he would be wonderful, especially if the reboot is going to focus on a Batman in his second or third year. If not Cranston, I can see Chris Cooper, who was the runner-up for Gordon in Batman Begins. He would be great if he could be persuaded. Jeff Bridges would be interesting. Perhaps a little too much of a big name for the part, but I can see him settling into the role well. Josh Brolin would also be interesting. Sean Penn would be brilliant but it will probably never happen.

As for Alfred, I kind of hope they go for someone younger this time around. In the comics, Alfred has been an elderly butler, but he's also been in his late 50's/early 60's and I think it would be refreshing for a slightly younger take on the character. Alan Rickman is my first choice. Bill Nighy, Alfred Molina, Geoffrey Rush, Albert Finney (albiet a little older) etc. would all make an excellent Alfred in my mind.

As for the villains and other supporting characters: Melissa Leo as Leslie Thompkins, Phillip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin (this needs to happen), Rachel Weisz as Selina Kyle/Catwoman or Talia, Daniel Day-Lewis, Viggo Mortensen or Jason Issacs as Ra's al Ghul, Liev Schrieber as Harvey Dent/Two-Face, Rebecca Hall as Julie Madison, Ray Winstone as Det. Harvey Bullock, Kevin Spacey or Robin Williams as Hugo Strange, and the list continues.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Rickman as Alfred is a brilliant choice.

15. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For a live-action Batman Beyond, I'd want Clint Eastwood as Old Bruce, Niall Matter as Terry McGinnis, and Freema Agyeman as Max Gibson.

How about Alan Rickman as Ra's Al Ghul instead of Alfred?

Jim Caviezel would make an awesome Bruce/Batman, and his calm, collected intimidating whisper would make a welcome change from Bale's often ridiculous growl.

16. Admiral_Young

My live action "Batman Beyond" would feature either Clint Eastwood or Bruce Willis as Old Bruce (my prime choice being Clint), David Henrie as Terry McGuiness. Duncan Jones would be my choice for Director. Would have to think about the rest of the cast.

17. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bruce Wayne/Batman: David Hasselhoff
    Robin: Zachary Quinto
    Alfred: William Shatner
    The Joker: David Hasselhoff

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Nick Fury as Batman? Madness!

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't hassle the Hoff!