Spoilers I.K.S Gorkon: Enemy Territory by KRAD Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Jun 1, 2014.

?

Rate Enemy Territory

1. Outstanding

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Above Average

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  3. Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I.K.S Gorkon: Enemy Territory by Keith R.A. DeCandido

[​IMG]

[LEFT]Blurb:
    The Elabrej Hegemony
    For centuries, the Elabrej firmly believed that they were alone in the universe, and that no sentient life existed outside their home star system. But their beliefs are shattered when a controversial exploration vessel of their own making encounters -- and fires upon -- an alien ship. The aliens return fire and destroy them -- then come to Elabrej to investigate....
    The Klingon Empire
    While exploring the uncharted Kavrot Sector, the crew of the I.K.S. Gorkon learn that their brother ship, the I.K.S. Kravokh, was fired on by an alien vessel and subsequently destroyed it. After setting course to investigate this new people, the Kravokh disappears -- but a massive alien fleet is gathering at their last known location. Captain Klag must determine what has happened to the Kravokh, and who this new foe of the empire is....
    As two civilizations prepare for war, the secret agendas of both the Elabrej oligarchs and Klingon Imperial Intelligence may serve only to deepen the conflict -- and Captain Klag may also face a mutiny.

Excerpt

My review from 2005:

I can’t concur with the Fourth Oligarch, this book is not “a piece of very bad fiction” (p.69), quite the opposite : It’s a good read.

Again Keith R.A. DeCandido was able to write an interesting story about the crew of the I.K.S. Gorkon, this time with minimal losses among the more heavily featured crew members, even Klag’s first officer survives the book and stays on board. ;) There’s not that much “large-scale” stuff in this novel, in my opinion it is more focused on the actual mission than the previous two books. That’s not a bad thing, since the Elabrej Hegemony is an interesting place for a mission, with it’s not humanoid species and self-centered world view. It’s intriguing to see how their scientist(s) rate the Klingon race as inferior, only because of their, from their point of view, unusual appearance. It’s like an analogy to the old saying “Don’t judge the book by it’s cover.”, since in the end the Oligarchs have to see that they are losing the war, although the Klingons are so much less developed in their opinion. One thing I found to be strange is how “open” the I.I. Agent Trant allows Lokor to present him as something special before his agent status is openly revealed. I can understand that Lokor isn’t to motivated to keep his secret, but shouldn’t Trant be more confidential until he has the command of the Gorkon and try to restrain him?
    The characterization is once again one of the main strengths of the book. Like with the story there are no major revelations or developments, but a steady and balanced development. The one crewmember who goes through the biggest character change is the chief engineer Kurak. I certainly hope her change of mind is explained a little bit more closely in books to come, since her change of behavior is a little bit to suddenly for my taste without further details about her state of mind. The only people I would have liked to get more info about, are the mutineers, I think this subplot was cut a little bit to short. Somehow the (tried) mutiny just happened and wasn’t far enough on the forefront to get more informed about the motives of the actual mutineers and the mood among the other crew members.

Overall “Enemy Territory” is a good, balanced I.K.S. Gorkon “episode” without involvement in a big multi-book story arc, but an interesting mission.
    [/LEFT]

2. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I remember liking the Klingon politics in the novel more than the aliens - although Martok is great whatever novel he shows up in.

3. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved this book. I was crushed when I realized we wouldn't be getting another Gorkon Book after this one. Loved the Klingon Politics, loved the perspective of the Klingon Farming Matriarch. Really wanted to see more of where the storyline was heading.

KRAD writes Klngons like Una writes Cardassians... with nuance and soul.

4. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you are mixing this book up with Klingon Empire: A Burning House.

5. Technobuilder

Oops you're right. I shouldn't post late at night. This was the one with the mission to conquer an alien people that shifted from full scale invasion to honorable combat right?

I remember liking the concept of seeing the world through the eyes of Klingon 'Enlisted' Ground Troops. I remember liking the native people and how the Klingons came to see them as more equal that most of their other subject worlds.

6. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Not that one either. :p That was books one and two.

This one is the Gorkon investigating the fate of one of its brother ships and then stomping on the dysfunctional alien empire that destroyed it. :)

Like most KRAD books, this one was solid rather than spectacular; a nice enjoyable read. I certainly liked having a strange-new-worlds, crew-mixed-up-in-alien-politics story told from the Klingon perspective (I particularly love the part when the Klingons, today playing the role of 'wise, advanced visitors from the stars', lecture the Elabrej rebels on how they should be causing maximum mayhem and violence or their cause is a sham. The Klingons can be teachers too, in their way).

The Elabrej... has anyone else read the book Dread Empire's Fall: The Praxis (which doesn't involve a Klingon moon)? It's a pretty hilarious novel, in which a brutally rigid empire finds itself too dysfunctional to either revolt properly or put down a revolt. Its society is just completely unable to adapt to the situation, regardless on whether a given person is trying to usurp the order of things or preserve it. One long string of incompetence and bloody-mindedness that's really quite beautiful to observe. The Elabrej put me in mind of that. Of all the nations and races introduced or explored in Trek, the Elabrej are one of those that I have the least amount of hope for. They're a sad people, really, but entertaining.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  7. Technobuilder

Hmm... I mean I only read them once about a decade ago but yeah, I guess that one didn't really register then. Looks like it's time for a re-read. Of course this is not the first time entire storylines just disappeared out of my brain.

Oh well. It's KRAD writing Klingons... I'm sure it was a good book. :guffaw:

8. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

If the Klingons are used in the next movie, then KRAD needs to be hired as a consultant.

9. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

STAR TREK: IKS GORKON: ENEMY TERRITORY

I love the Klingon Empire series by Keith R.A. Candido. The crew of the I.K.S Gorkon is one of the most entertaining collection of people in Star Trek's Expanded Universe. For those unfamiliar with the series, it's about a group of Klingons onboard a starship sent to go forth and conquer the various undiscovered races of the galaxy.

The Elabrej Hegemony is a planetary confederation which has never had contact with other races but is ruled by a tyrannical theocratic dictatorship. Basically looking like "Iran in Space" or a stereotypical version of Iran, they are a nonhumanoid species which I tend to imagine looking like Cousin It with a bunch of arms. Encounters with the Klingon Empire goes poorly as they manage to blow up one of their vessels but not before said vessel signals the Gorkon for REVENGE.

I confess to not being a huge fan of "alien" aliens in Star Trek. With the exception of the horta, I prefer to think of Star Trek's aliens as metaphors for humans dealing with each other. While the novels are free from the budget of television shows, I tend to think there's no reason the Elabrej couldn't have been a race of "rubber forehead aliens" of the kind which I do love. Then again, I suppose there isn't any reason they couldn't have been either.

I think this book actually works somewhat as a decent satire of your typical Federation story as we have the space invaders arrive and talk to the pacifist natives (or mostly pacifist) about the glories of war as well as how you'll never make any changes without violence. It's kind of a grossly anti-Trek message but that's the point.

There were a few curious moments like the fact the Elabrej have a poisoned ocean and I'm not sure how life could be sustained on their planet if that were true. Nevertheless, I found this to be an enjoyable book from beginning to end. Having our antiheroes versus an entire planet and teaming up with the local resistance worked well for me.
    Character development wise, Kurak still remains an enormous pain in the butt with her refusing to do anything but the bare minimum her job requires. She's also become a suicidal drunk who is actually suffering liver failure despite the fact that's almost impossible for a Klingon. It's a surprising revelation of just how deep her hatred of the Klingon Defense Force runs.

I'm not sure I agree with the hatred the Klingons bare for their Imperial Intelligence counterparts either. Yes, spies are designed to be liars but the Klingons in TOS were clever, sneaky, and did all manner of subterfuge based plans. You'd think any talented warrior would appreciate knowledge of his enemies' positions and plans. However, the agents in this book are treated pretty shabby and that's a shame.

In conclusion, I didn't like this book as much as I liked the first two but it's a measure in meters not miles. I'm saddened "A Burning House" is the last volume of the series and I wish this had lasted for as long as the New Frontier series. They should totally have had Keith making these every year.

8/10

10. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just completed this novel and rated it excellent. It's more mission focused than the first two 'official' Gorkon novels and there is less 'world-building' from the Empire perspective, which I actually liked. I love a good continuity building story but it's nice to have something that's more focused on a single mission as well.

In this story a Klingon ship is attacked by a ship from a species known as the Elabrej. Then a Klingon ship goes to their homeworld to investigate and is destroyed and some crew taken prisoner. Word gets back to the Empire and the Gorkon is sent to discover what happened, who these people are that would date attack the Klingons and possibly conquer the world. But the aliens have formidable weapons that make that difficult.

The Elabrej are truly alien creatures. They have 6 limbs that basically act as arms and legs, 10 fingers per hand and no head. Apparently they can see 360 degrees. It was noted a few times that the Klingons found them grotesque (and vice-versa) and are esp. disgusted when these beings wave their hands around rapidly (I'd be curious to see an artist interpretation of the Elabrej).

And the Elabrej homeworld is not a happy place. It is completely stratified, with the wealth concentrated in an oligarchy and the common population living in extreme poverty. A group of separatists are fighting the oligarchy and decide to help the Klingons. Also, possibly due to their 360 vision everything is round, their buildings and ships. They are appalled at the angular nature of Klingon ships.

The Elabrej had believed they were the only intelligent species in the universe. And at first they underestimate the Klingons as mindless brutes, possibly being controlled by some other force. And some even refuse to believe the evidence with their own 'eyes.' It was good to see a truly non-humanoid alien species portrayed.

KRAD also continues to explore Klingon society, which is much different than the Federation. The Federation is barely mentioned here in fact, which was nice. It was a fully Klingon story. And Klingons, like humans, are unique from one another. Their is also a mutiny that must be dealt with. The main characters are all different from one another and continue to be developed here.

And it's clear the Klingon way is different from that of the Federation. The Federation probably would have tried to work through the misunderstanding, only fighting the Elabrej as a last resort. And after the battle would have tried to find ways to help the Elabrej recover. The Klingons are not interested in any of that, they would only help in any recovery effort if there was some benefit.

And I always enjoyed KRAD's sense of humor in his books. It was one common theme I find between KRAD's stories and Peter David's that I miss since they no longer write Star Trek books.

And one thing I found interesting is this story features a few 'bald' Klingons, in this case because the Elabrej had shaved off all their hair when they were prisoners. I couldn't help but think of the Giger-Klingons from Discovery. And Wol was great as hairless and naked she managed to take out how many Elabrej? What was said in "Day of the Dove", a running (wo)man can slash a 1000 throats or something?

I'm glad I picked up these novels and am only sad about one thing. I only have one left, "Burning House".

11. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Thanks, Damian! And it's "four thousand throats may be cut in a single night by a running man." Or woman. :)

trampledamage and Damian like this.
  12. jedimaster

jedimaster Ensign Red Shirt

I always loved the I.K.S. Gorkon/Klingon Empire series and it's one of my favourites to go back to for a quick re-read now and then. Along with Diplomatic Implausibility, and The Art of the Impossible.

Enemy Territory was a decent read, you got to see character development for Toq and Wol and Klag was able to articulate some of the contradictions of honorable warfare to the Elabrej rebels on the moon, which is a decent opportunity to show that he's not just a fighter, but a leader who knows how to inspire people to action (even if it was wasted on the Elabrej).

One of the ironies that made me smile was Captain Wirrk, he is just completely incompetent as a Captain; he kills his chief engineer for being unable to fix a cloaking device that couldn't be fixed and wasn't useful anyway, he made minimal preparations for a second encounter with the enemy, was slow to adapt to changing circumstances, and had to have the strategic value of the ability to intercept and translate enemy communications explained to him by his first officer.
    He seems to be broadly the same as Kargan, an incompetent promoted through family with a competent junior officer to mitigate his stupidity. The irony is that Klag considers Wirrk to be a friend when he despised Kargan for the same flaws.
    Was this a deliberate choice, Keith?

13. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Honestly, 15 years on, I don't remember if that was a deliberate choice or not. But I did try to make the characters more complex and not one-dimensional, so sure, assume it was a deliberate choice! :)

Charles Phipps likes this.
  14. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still one of my all time favorite science fiction series. Klingons are my comfort food. :)