What would a new Runabout be like?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Captain Nebula, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

So, if you were to redesign the Runabout, what would you include or discard?

I would think it would be updated with tech from the Sovereign and Defiant classes, Data's scout ship, and the Delta Flyer.

Still a small ship, but maybe even made into a new class, like a Cutter or something?

But what would that be like?

(Just thought the folks here might have fun coming up with some ideas)

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would have that pine-fresh, new runabout smell!! :)

3. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

The Danube class runabouts seemed to be a fairly practical design as-is. Aside from technical updates and such I don't see the need for any huge changes to be made.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I think the Danube-class will be around for a long time, well into the 25th-Century. By then, it could be significantly faster with a much larger operational range, IMO.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I would like to see a (very slightly) larger, more combat ready ship with some bunks and living / crew area / lab.

Sleeker and more in keeping with the Sovereign design ethos. Still recognisably a development of the runabout though.

6. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree. Runabout is fine as-is, no need to change what works so well. Should have a long service life.

Also, the design features modular component construction, adaptable in many ways. I'd imagine this allows significant upgrading allowing a longer service life before the class is retired for some newer vessel.

7. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It would be slightly smoother, with more modern nacelles, maybe slightly wider and longer, just to fit more usable space inside. and instead of the conference room at the rear, small bunks for maybe 4 people, and a smaller open room for passengers. Not much different in design, just technology.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Umm, the conference room at the rear does have small bunks for four people... (Or did, until those were recycled as Defiant bunks.)

But yeah, smoothing in the same style as the change from the standard VOY "Type 12" speedboat to the roughly similar shuttle flown by Admiral Janeway in the finale. Possibly a slight change in size. For some reason, TNG movie shuttles have been larger than the original TNG series ones - Starfleet might do the same with their runabouts, for unknown reasons.

Older runabout types would also be fun to visualize. Something fitting the TNG Type 7 shuttle style for mid-24th century (possibly the big warpshuttle in "Skin of Evil" was actually an older runabout?). A TOS movie design - I have no real ideas for this.

And a TOS design... The craft seen in "Way to Eden" would be a very nice TOS runabout, or perhaps slightly pre-TOS so that civilians have now acquired these surplus models. Older, clumsier tech, so it's bigger and has real trouble landing (but perhaps it can still manage?).

Timo Saloniemi

9. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's fine the way it is.. Maybe a bit stronger engines.. Longer range.. Stronger shields.. Etc etc etc..

10. Forbin

I officially call this a "heavy shuttlecraft" because "runabout" IMHO refers strictly to the TNG era class of vessel. My TOS version is a bit smaller, but I guess it's similar, except it's not modular.

http://www.inpayne.com/models/kitbash/trekpage_shuttle_vgr.html

11. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

I think some people miss this because the back room only appeared in TNG, oddly enough, despite being constructed with use on DS9 in mind (the set was originally built under the TNG budget, but afterward DS9 preferred not to spend the cash to erect it for what would probably have been short scenes, leading to scenes where crew members apparently fall asleep in the cockpit chairs rather than go aft to use the bunks and making it understandable that people thought there weren't meant to be bunks!).

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

13. Forbin

As I understand it, the modular layout of the dern thing included sleeping cabin modules between the cockpit and the aft compartment module. They weren't always necessarily mounted, but i think the DS9 tech manual refers to them.

14. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Right on. I've seen a lot of fan work with the adaptablity of the modules--passengers, medical evac, labs modules, cargo modules, and so on.

With the warp spine component separate, and the seemingly detachable cockpit assembly, the runabout seems incredibly upgradable. A long long lifespan before the class becomes obsolete.

15. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

I was of the understanding that the driving factor behind the design of the Danube was the size and configuration of the standard Federation cargo modules. I figure that they determined the size and shape of the cargo modules years before, engineered the cargo sections of capital ships accordingly, and thus built the Danube to ferry 4, 2, or 1 of them at a time, depending on whether a quarter-module, half-module, or full-module....in much the same manner that standard 40, 48, and 53-feet cargo containers drive the design of intermodal railcars, adjustable flatcar trailers for semi-trucks, and container ship racks.

16. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

That's pretty cool.