7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Sep 29, 2012.

?

Grade "The Angels Take Manhattan"

Poll closed Oct 30, 2012.
  1. The girl who waited

100 vote(s)
    64.5%
  2. Something borrowed

35 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Average

10 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Is it bad that I really miss this?

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  5. You're Scottish, fry something

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

No. Not the fountain. Not the bridge. It's not just the backgrounds, those are REAL places that people in New York go to. I'VE been to them. I've walked where Rory was taken. That fountain, it's already famous because of the play Angels in America.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

It just occurred to me that a much more effective way for the Statue of Liberty to feed itself would be all those people that climb up to the platform on its inside. Surely, they touch the statue during that. Some of them going missing will be noticed less than the statue moving (through water no less). ;)

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Clearly not

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G73w7VHP0l8[/YT]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since when did people start getting possessive of "Doctor Who" being only for the British?

Are you saying expansion of the show's audience to an emerging market is bad?

I just met about 7 or 8 Doctor Who fans at my local community college here in Iowa. When we have free time we watch the latest episodes.

A "Doctor Who" club was just approved by some students.

4. Professor Zoom

Surely those who actually sign his check decide what he's paid to do and not do.

5. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully the Doctor is only able to give regen energy to River, since the only reason he's alive is because she energized him with hers.

She could have at least thanked him for it though. I don't blame him for being agrivated.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, she is if the facts have compelled others to act on them.

Actually, it resolved everything. The gravestone is just separate from the stuff in that house (I don't even know how someone would get buried if they die in that house, since they seem to get trapped there).

About filming in America. I think it's cool when it works for the story (and I thought it worked here, both the detective thing and because, cheesey or not, a giant Angel Statue of Liberty is fucking awesome). Part of the appeal of Doctor Who is its British-ness and that's not going to change, but having Americans watch the show is good for everyone.

7. Samson88B

Samson88B Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would have to second that. When the Angels were brought back in the crack season, it was severely lacking. there was one exception ... when Amy had to act as if she could see but she was really blind. That moment when the angel had moved slowly to follow her was creepy and spin chilling. The rest of the the episodes.... Blah....

This episode had the feel and thrill of Blink back. It was cool to see the Statue of Liberty as a Angel but at the same time I thought it was kind of silly. Other than that.... The angels were back in full form.

A very nice send off for the Ponds, sad to see them go but kind of knew that it would be a happy ever after for Amy and Rory. At least from their standpoint.

8. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, the Angels around her when she had to act like she could see was good (especially when I found out they essentially used stop-motion to film it so the Angels only moved when the camera wasn't filming). But having the Angels kill people defeats half their point. I thought the Angels were used extremely effectively and the idea of an Angel farm was actually quite clever.

9. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great episode. Really enjoyed it. Teared up at the end for sure.

10. The Grim Ghost

The Grim Ghost Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Setting the occasional story in the states is an obsession with appealing to Americans? Judging by the success of many American television shows shown in the UK, the Brits seem to enjoy stories set in America as well, so I just don't think you're making a lot of sense here.

Also if they have the budget to film on location occasionally, why not do it? It's always going to look better and feel more authentic than cgi. I am really puzzled at why this bothers you.

11. Samson88B

Samson88B Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I kind of thought the baby angels... if they were indeed baby angels.. were not as strong as a healthy mature angel and were only capable of bringing someone back in time only short distances or just moving them in space...which is what happened with Rory. The baby angels were definitely a very neat concept.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

What do you mean, like some predestination thing? She has to write it since she knows they read it at some point? Feels weak to me.

13. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, it's a predestination thing. You have to think of all the elements. They read it, which means someone had to write it. She had to write it because it happened and they need to recreate it. If she chose not to write it, the future wouldn't happen.

14. Professor Zoom

Wouldn't that be a GOOD thing?

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So who loved River's dress?

I loved River's dress :)

16. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

The angels just sprayed the innards with pink slime and played some Jackie Wilson music, which allowed them to control Lady Liberty's movements with an NES Advantage controller. :)

17. Alidar Jarok

Except the part where they destroy the universe because of the paradox, I guess it isn't too bad.

18. Professor Zoom

Who decides which paradoxes destroy the universe and which don't? They used a paradox to stop the angels, but a paradox to avoid the situation all together would rip the universe in two?

I know one shouldn't look at time travel stories TOO closely, but still...

19. Alidar Jarok

Granted, Doctor Who time travel rules are never consistent, but the one rule that always occurs is that it's bad to alter your own timeline. Here, they explicitly said that what Amy and Rory did could easily have destroyed New York city and that doing it a second time definitely would have. They "got lucky" that things worked out the first time. That's why you don't want to risk a second time (especially a bigger paradox).

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are we sure that Amy and Rory weren't locked in that Hotel?

One could argue that only one Angel survived and didn't have enough "angelpower" to angel their battery farm. but if they were all wounded instead of exterminated, then they could have gotten back to business soon enough.