STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I recall people saying stuff like that when VOY and then ENT were impending.

2. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Enterprise was actually a lot of the same complaints looking back (I was only around for S1 before it killed my enthusiasm for Trek), but it was also actually a pretty terrible series anyway. But I remember the complaining about getting to Kronos too quickly, the ship being too advanced and big, disrespectful to established canon, rehash etc etc

I know that if they made a new Trek series we would hear the same nitpicking.

3. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Doubt it. However, if my wife and daughters think it stinks, I'll probably have to find a way to give them back the two hours they lost by being dragged to a chick flick. Which means it will actually cost me money it's really bad. (OH GOD I HOPE THIS MOVIE IS GOOD.)

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Ummm, I recall fans complaining that ST:TMP was merely a rehash of "The Changeling". Many called it "Where Nomad Has Gone Before." It helped me that I'd never seen "The Changeling" before December 1979.

When ST IV began, on opening night, I heard people yelling "Not another probe already!"

Did not people complain the ST V's journey to the centre of the galaxy and meeting God was too much like the TAS episode where they journeyed to the centre of the galaxy and meet the Devil?

Wasn't "Nemesis" branded a ST II beat-by-beat rip-off?

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  5. TommyW

TommyW Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Just got back from seeing it. It was entertaining - but it's fading from my memory fast. I really don't understand why they bothered making Cumberbatch Khan. He's such an underdeveloped villain in this that it really could have been anyone. Almost a carbon copy of Nero in many ways.

Also - definitely see it in 2D. I went for 3D and it was almost unwatchable on a few occassions.

6. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe there isn't an original thought left in the franchise, after all. ;)

7. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

This seems to be a common problem with Trek movies. Almost all the villains suck.

8. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've never heard of any movie theaters giving out refunds, cause someone didn't like the movie they pay for.

9. ConRefit79

Considering the price for a soda, even water and popcorn, it should be free.

10. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I don't go to the movies all that often anymore, but I've never heard of an occasion where an unhappy patron failed to get their money back when complaining. Are cinemas so arrogant in their certainty of being patronized that they can alienate anybody?

But the only times I've ever asked for a refund have related to screwed-up projection -- I figure if I didn't like the movie, I was the sucker for going. But that is presumably a minority view, since you still have people getting their money back from supermarkets because they let the ice cream melt on the drive home and think it is the market's fault.

11. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

If you can't afford to go to the movies then don't go.

12. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Like Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness?

13. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

Haha, naaah, the "sex" was good, it just didn't make me fall in love like STiD has done... :p

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering how he comes across as a villain to a Trek novice. I can't watch it without knowing his whole history and feeling the weight behind his words because of that.

I do think Cumberbatch was underused. Rather than have that 9 minute prologue of volcano neutralizing they should have had 9 minutes of Cumberbatch, showing us scenes that made us sympathetic or otherwise. We saw a lot of Khan in Space Seed before there was direct conflict, Khan with his people and interacting with Marla etc.. as a charismatic and mysterious individual. With ST:XII we miss all this, we see him in direct conflict the entire time other than a single exchange with the father. I think he really needed some build up and Cumberbatch being of the caliber he is it's a shame he didn't get it.

15. Phily B

I don't think the villain was under developed, his motives were pretty clear and we all know his background. That said, we definitely could've used a bit more Cumberbatch but the movie was already moving at such a fast pace that it really could've had an extra 10 minutes at least.

16. ConRefit79

It would appear the current thinking is you cannot keep the audience's attention by including those details. Those scenes may have ended up on the cutting room floor.

17. Phily B

I personally always liked the idea the books set forth, which was Khan and the Eugenics war was more of a covert/illuminati type cold war with lots of proxy wars rather than a devastating conventional war.

18. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

CraveOnline's reviews are another instance where they've got one reviewer who tore an absolute strip out of it, while their other reviewer stated uncategorically that he enjoyed it WAY more than he thought he would. Just goes to show, not everyone gets the same experience from watching the same movie.

19. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

I would've preferred he was just left as John Harrison, one of Khans top people and by far the most intelligent & manipulative. The ideal choice for Marcus to thaw out and use. He was the one pulling the strings and Khan was just the figurehead. Or something..

A glimpse of Montalban frozen as well thrown in at the end!

Nevermind!

20. Phily B

"Oh my god, why would they do that when it was stated Khan was the leader and most intelligent and most dangerous one?! Worst film ever 0/10."