Is 'Mass Effect' "The Most Impt. Sci-Fi Universe of Our Generation?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by jefferiestubes8, Feb 23, 2012.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

While I have not played Mass Effect as I'm not a gamer I've followed the world a little bit after reading these other older Trek BBS threads:
    Mass Effect this generation's Star trek article

Is Mass Effect the next Star Wars?

MASS EFFECT: Spiritual successor to Star Trek?
    and of course even with the Halo film stalled in development and the unsuccessful Doom movie based on a similar videogame and there is an upcoming Aliens: Colonial Marines game that looks amazing there is a 'Mass Effect' scifi videogame In Film development deal

from the popbioethics site is quite an article I've quoted from:
    Is Mass Effect "The Most Important Science Fiction Universe of Our Generation"?

via

I really like this from a review of the game that comes out next month:
    yes very epic. See the this Youtube link Mass Effect 3: Take Earth Back Cinematic Trailer

This mode : story mode allows for casual people who are not gamers to get into the story and interested in the universe.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Re: Is 'Mass Effect' "The Most Impt. Sci-Fi Universe of Our Generation

I think it has the potential to be. However, video games have still not broken into culture quite in the way film and literature have.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, I was blown away by just well developed the universe was while I was playing ME 2. It's IMO one of the best and most interesting video game universes I've come across.

4. mclea1mm

mclea1mm Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The best science fiction is usually a part of a world that we can imagine existing even after the well-known stories have been told (case in point, Star Trek). The fact that Mass Effect's universe is so well-realized will be one of its strengths after the main story in the games draws to a close. I've heard complaints that it's 'too space opera' and the main species are 'too human' - in appearance and culture - to have a major, thought-provoking impact in science fiction, but frankly so few properties are willing to go the extra distance to make their worlds feel alive that Mass Effect gets props from me for being one of the properties that does. In fact, interactive media is uniquely suited to provide this kind of experience and I look forward to seeing future attempts.

I agree, though, that it probably won't carry on in the same way that iconic TV and film properties currently do. Mass Effect may be well-known by science fiction fans and people who play games, but in the end, EA/Bioware will have to care enough about what they have created to bring it into better view and understanding of the mainstream. I think this can be done, especially if they strengthen their trans-media efforts (books, comics, possible movies, and of course games) in the wake of ME3. It's all business though - the fans have to want more, and it has to be worth it for them to extend the franchise and give that universe a chance at being the most important in recent sci-fi and entertainment.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, the backstory is pretty impressive, but for me, the gameplay left a lot to be desired. I almost feel that this game would have been better as a point-and-click adventure game, a genre suitable for narrative heavy games. It is some impressive world building though. I think that this series could do as well as a TV series as a game.

6. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

The universe is quite impressive, you could definitely put a tv show/ movie based on it

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Right, because Vulcans, Klingons, Bajorans, Betazoids, Romulans, etc. look nothing like humans and their cultures have no basis in any human cultures in history. That's possibly one of the dumbest arguments I've ever heard.

The Mass Effect universe is an incredibly rich one ripe for development. There's plenty of potential for excellent stories beyond Commander Shepard's. The books are a good step in that direction, but what it really needs to "become the next Star Trek" is to move into wider mediums. Sadly, video games are not that medium right now. Far too many people still think of them as "children's toys." A film or television show set in the Mass Effect universe (done well, of course) is probably what could bring it into the mainstream. In fact, the best bet would be to not even include Shepard or any of the game characters. Keep them to the games. Use the other media as an opportunity to expand the universe, and build the brand.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Halo" and "Starcraft"'s mythos are pretty expansive and epic now as well. I don't know much about "Mass Effect" except that it is just the latest game franchise to have a rich and deep mythology.

9. Owain Taggart

Agreed. Done that way, they don't have to rely on people already knowing or having played the games. Rather, they can focus on developing their world even further, without distractions for anyone who aren't already familiar with the series, but that the TV series could eventually offer some plot threads for future games based on what's seen on TV.

10. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it is an amazing universe that can take it's place among other amazing scifi universes. I'm glad I live in a world which has such a rich array of great universes to play in, including our own.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I should have added to my post that while I think it is among the others I mentioned, it isn't the "most important franchise" of our generation. It is a popular video game franchise. That's about it, and I would also agree that a well done film adaptation would go along way of increasing its profile among the mainstream. They couldn't get the Halo film off the ground though so I don't know if they would be able to do so with "Mass Effect". Isn't there a film in development right now?

12. Owain Taggart

Dunno about Halo, and I haven't played any of them, but it's always come across to me as a series that doesn't have much story, much the same way as Doom. You have the backstory, but not much else to draw on, whereas Mass Effect's world is more along the likes of Star Trek, Star Wars and B5, so I suspect it'd be far easier to make a movie in Mass Effect's universe than say something like Halo and that might be why they're having a tough time getting a movie off the ground.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  13. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Much as I like Mass Effect, I'd hesitate long and hard before calling it "important" in any context other than "reasons I haven't donated my Xbox to a firing range".

14. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

I have the first game, but I got stuck on that stupid administrative planet near the beginning and got bored before they let me leave. I'm not a gamer, admittedly.

I really need to find a good walk-through and give it another shot. I keep hearing good things.

15. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ask anyone on the street if they've heard the phrase "..where no man has gone before." or "May the force be with you". 9/10 times you'll see a yes. Ask someone if they know Commander Sheppard. They'll give a blank stare. :p

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

If all you want to do is get off the citadel, I can give you a quick walk through right here and now: -

> From the embassy go straight to the citadel tower (you can walk it, or use the quick travel terminal/taxi stop that's right outside)
    > meet Garrus for the first time > go up to the council & talk trash with Saren.
    > have words with Udina & Anderson, they'll point you towards Barla Von and Harkin.
    > visit one or both (makes no difference) and they'll point you towards Wrex and Garrus respectively.
    > Both are easy to find; Harkin is in Chora's den just past the markets while Barla Von in on the presidium, across the lake from the embassy, just past the emporium.
    > next either go find Wrex in C-Sec; he'll tell you some stuff about a bloke named Fist and that you should let him tag along to go get him in Chora's Den. He'll also suggest going to find....
    > Garrus! who is in the med centre (opposite end of the wards area from the markets) after an exciting shootout, you can recruit him too (or not) and then it's off the Chora's Den!
    > after and even more exciting shoot out you'll find Fist in his back office (if you want him to live to give you verbal abuse in Mass Effect 2, DON'T bring Wrex with you, coz hell shotgun the git in the face, even if you try and let him go.)
    > Fist tells you someone with the goods on Saren is about to get ambushed, so run off and save them (it's a quick stroll from Chora's Den the the backalley behind the markets...watch out for yet another exciting shoot out)
    > Save the informant (Tali) and you'll take her back to the Embassy when you can smack talk with Udina.
    > Next take Tali back up to the tower to see the council.
    > Saren is outed as a traitor, Shepard gets made a Spectre *que dramatic music* and it's off to C-Sec where you can take an exciting elevator ride up to where the Normandy is docked
    > You get the ship, make a speech *que more dramatic music* and you're off to save the galaxy with a tank that drives like a bouncy castle lashed to a couple of shopping trolleys!

...and that's all there is to it. There are other things to get up to of course, but that'll get you off the citadel the fastest and you can always come back and do all the side quests at any point before you do the fourth primary mission (usually Virmire, depending on which order you choose to do them in.)

If you're still not into it, or fall asleep during elevator rides and decide the game isn't for you, then you can just get the ultra condescend version in this rather well put together video. Needless to say; gigantic spoilers galore!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  17. mclea1mm

mclea1mm Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I agree, though I think what those commenters were getting at was that the style/approach of the ME universe is just more of the same, and they think the most important science fiction universe of our time should challenge that, or take it to a different level, which I can understand. What that might look like, exactly, I dunno.

18. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's not important at all. You ask the average person and they don't know what a "mass effect" is...

19. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BTW, I don't think judging the sigificance of a fictional universe should hinge on the radar of the masses. There is much about the genre that is regarded as "classic", has lasting power, but the masses are dimly aware of it at best.

That is not the sole guage upon which we should judge these things, IMO.

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm certain that if you ask the average person they won't have heard of Foundation, Ender's Game, or Babylon 5 either. Does that make them any less significant? No. Does the fact that they *have* heard of Transformers make that the more significant IP? HELL no!