Problem with Firefox

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by doubleohfive, Feb 7, 2009.

1. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Hi everyone -- quick question to ask.

Firefox, for the last few days has been causing me some stress. Seems my address bar doesn't want to work. If I close out of a window and re-open it, the address bar vanishes entirely and the only way to get it back is if I go to View > Toolbars > Navigation Toolbar, or go to "Restore Default Settings."

Once in a while, I'd understand but as it has happened every single time, I'm quite annoyed.

Further, the address bar, when it is there, is almost useless. I have a few addresses saved in the history, but clicking them does nothing. Typing in addresses, likewise, does nothing. The only way to navigate is to click a link (wherein the link still does not appear in the address bar) or to type or paste the link in a google search.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a solution I'm missing? Or perhaps a root cause I haven't considered?

Much thanks in advance.

2. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I'm on 3.0.6 and use it at home and work without issue.

I've heard nothing on this but offer the standard advice: How about uninstalling Firefox, reboot and reinstall? You can export your bookmarks and import after the reinstall.

3. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Switch to IE 8.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself. ;)

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Unless you've got some kind of spyware or something that's screwing it up, it's probably a corrupt DLL; I think a re-install should do the trick.

5. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Thou art a blasphemer!!!

jk, but seriously, I refuse to use IE. I hear it's better then it used to be, but I guess I'm just stubborn.

Re-install it, that usually fixes everything.

If it is spyware, I suggest getting rid of norton.

Or atleast get spybot.

Sorry, norton is another program I don't like.

6. RJDiogenes

IE is the same as WordPad; something to use if you don't have a real program. :cool:

7. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

SInce this most recent update my Firefox crashes and freezes constantly on both my computers. And when I shut it down it keeps running a process and sucking up memory that has to be manually shut down.

8. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I have noticed that a couple of times now. You have to stop the process manually.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you tried using another browser? There's a Trojan going around that, as I understand, cripples the browsers' search functions. But it effects all the browsers on the computer. And, as I recall, the symptoms are slightly different.

Unfortunately, I just read about it in passing when looking up something completely different, so I don't remember much about it and I just tried a quick Google and came up with nothing. But if it seems like it could be the potential problem (i.e. IE doesn't work.) then you should look into it.

10. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I figured it out.

The AIMToolbar extension was fucking around with it. So I uninstalled it and restarted Firefox. Seems to have corrected / resolved the issue.

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

11. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Me too. I actually sometimes stop FF and switch to Opera for a couple of hours. When you look in Task Manager, the CPU is being maxed out and the memory is jumping up and down too. Can the FF process, and they drop to very much lower percentages.

I admit I have an older PC, but up until 3-4 months ago I didn't have this problem. I think it's safe to say that it's a recent upgrade that's brought this on.

12. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you running the ForecastFox extension? The current release (0.9.8) causes exactly this problem when it can't access weather data from accuweather.com. More here.

13. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Good thought, but no, actually running very few extensions.

(has a look)

Actually, I think none, since I had to do a Windows reinstall. There only seems to be a couple of skin files in there, and I'm still using default. It says down the bottom of the About window:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.6) Gecko/2009011913 Firefox/3.0.6

14. RJDiogenes

I should have thought of a Toolbar. They have a tendency to screw things up.

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Does anyone else have the problem of Firefox not letting them download adobe flash?