Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The droid arc might have gone on a bit long, but I thought it was rather fun myself. Especially the final ep.

Enjoyed it much more than that boring ass arc earlier this season wih the clones training people on the planet. Ugh.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^I actually thought the Onderon arc was pretty good myself.

3. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I happen to still have this on my DVR and yes it is along with Sam Witwer, Jon Favreau and Clancy Brown in the genre-y cast.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Exactly my point. He was just the muscle in Episode I while Sidious was the brains. But The Clone Wars is showing Maul as capable of being both. Even though Maul really didn't have much dialogue in Episode I, I like that they took what little there was about the character in the movie and fleshed it out.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I didn't find the story all that interesting, but Sam Witwer is a remarkably good voice actor. All his line readings as Maul were fun to listen to, and the nuances he put into it seem to have inspired Maul's key animator(s), since the facial performance of the character was pretty well-done too.

6. Janus VI

Janus VI Captain Captain

Yes. I particularly enjoyed Maul's facial expressions when Vizla puts his hand on Maul's shoulder–really conveyed a look of revulsion.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It amazes me just how far the animation has come since the show started.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Agreed. Was just thinking that when I caught the episode this weekend, which I thought was pretty awesome. It seems like they've improved the CGI each season since we started. Darth Maul was awesome.

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

There's 2 more episodes in this arc, right?

10. Christopher

^Yup. All the arcs this year have been 4-parters, and this was part 2.

11. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

What's the future of this series? Have they recorded anything for series 6 or is this it?

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

13. Mr. Adventure

Clone Wars on Disney would just be strange. I wonder if they'll keep the content the same or would it be more like Plankton and the Droids?

14. Christopher

Disney hasn't acquired studios like Pixar and Marvel and Lucasfilm in order to homogenize them. On the contrary, they're trying to expand their own audience base by acquiring companies that do things they don't do, that appeal to different audiences. Forcing them all into a single "Disney" mold would defeat the whole purpose of acquiring them in the first place. They want them to keep doing what they were doing before. Pixar is still Pixar, Marvel is still Marvel, and Lucasfilm will still be Lucasfilm.

These days, Marvel animated shows air on Disney XD, which is older-skewing and more male-skewing in its target demographic than The Disney Channel. Presumably The Clone Wars would end up there too.

15. Mr. Adventure

CW's content seems more brutal than the usual Disney XD mold so in my mind either CW bends or XD. I guess Tron Uprising is closest in tone and that airs at midnight on Mondays now apparently (I was wondering why I hadn't seen any mention of it...).

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

If The Clone Wars falls off basic cable, then it will fall off my radar, until it becomes available at my public library. The show's starting to get boring anyway. I blew away the droid squad arc from my DVR after watching only the first episode, because that was embarrassingly bad. While the youngling arc wasn't awful, it was--in the end--only middle of the road. This season feels like the show is dragging on forever and not really going anywhere. I feel like a shark has been jumped somewhere.

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Or a Karkarodon...

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm really hoping it doesn't got to Disney XD, it's not included on my cable. I only have the basics, Discovery, Cartoon Network, regular Disney, ect.

19. Christopher

But TCW's content is considerably "more brutal" than anything else on Cartoon Network either. The network "bent" because of Lucasfilm's clout. Now Lucasfilm and Disney XD are under the same corporate umbrella, but Lucasfilm still has a lot of clout -- as I said, the Disney conglomerate as a whole wants its acquisitions to retain their established identities and styles.

And it's not like any network's shows are absolutely uniform across the board. Most networks show programs of different levels of maturity at different times of day, and we've got this whole TV ratings system now whose whole point is to let parents know whether a given show is suitable for their kids or not. IIRC, Cartoon Network itself initially prefaced TCW with a content advisory about the violence, one of those "This program may not be suitable for all audiences" things, though they don't seem to do that anymore.

20. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably too late for Disney to make any changes, assuming they'd even want to, if season 6 was likely in production for quite a while before Disney's acquisition.