New TAS?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

In other threads there's discussion of reanimating TAS and how some would like it done.

Setting that aside do you think there could be interest is animated Trek films similar to the DCAU direct-to-dvd films? I think this could be interesting and likely more affordable than mounting an expensive live-action production every few years. It could also be away of getting back to the prime universe/continuity if desired. Besides which I have zero interest in seeing the Abramsverse in any form whatsoever.

These animated features could be wholly fresh stories or even include adaptations of comics and/or novels.

Any thoughts?

2. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd be interested if it was done "right". But wasn't one planned a few years back, with the premise of a post apocalyptic federation, and set aboard a hammer-headed enterprise that was way worse than the JJ-prise? If that's the best we can expect, then I'll pass.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I don't recall hearing of an animated feature being discussed or in the works. And, yes, if it was anything like what you've described then I wouldn't have interest in it either.

4. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

I think a new animated series could be great.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: Final Frontier
    That's what was planned. There are storyboards, art and a script to see.

A new Star Trek cartoon done now would be mindless kiddie stuff based loosely on the new films (see: Iron Man cartoon).

CBS and Paramount regard straight-to-DVD movies as cheap and nasty (which is a shame). They won't want their profitable (again) Star Trek franchise anywhere near them.

Honestly, considering how obsessive many of the TOS fans here are, I doubt there would be any love for a Prime universe Trek cartoon no matter what form it took.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I think you're being overly cynical. It will never be what it once was, but it could still be entertaining. And seeing how the DCAU films are generally done I don't think it's a given that it would be dumbed down schlock just for kids.

And it needn't be strictly TOS although that might be the focus. They could be the Pike era or the TMP/film era or even TNG/DS9 era.

7. kkozoriz1

kkozoriz1 Fleet Captain

An animated Titan series would be great. Lots of cool new aliens and Frakes & Sirtis to boot. I'd watch it.

8. Stompy

Stompy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think the old Filmation version holds a special place in the hearts of those who were of "cartoon watching age" at the time.

Farragut is doing a great job with their series but I find them to be a bit too expository, rather than letting the animation tell the story.

On the plus side I think I look good TAS'd

(image changed to a link. WAYYYYY too big. - T'Bonz)

http://www.chaseclub.com/images/TASstompy02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010
  9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'd want a better style than the original TAS from Filmation. It was fine for its time, but now I find it flat and too static.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

How about the wooden puppet look of Clone Wars? ;)

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure. Might work. I will say that it doesn't look bad and that Clone Wars is far better than the live-action SW films.

12. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Yes! I think this would easily be the best option for more Trek on TV.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I would keep expecting them to sing the Lonely Goat Herd song from Sound of Music.

14. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I think doing a reanimated TAS would be a good way to test the waters for something like a new animated series.

15. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Always happy that sh*t never got made.

16. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

I don’t understand the antipathy for ST:FF. It’s six-minute animated shorts, and fanfic at that. For what it is, I think it’s very well conceived. It’s no “Yesteryear,” but I think it can stand with the bulk of TAS episodes.

BTW, considering that the people who created “that sh*t” are not industry professionals hired by Paramount, but rather passionate and technically capable fans, it wouldn’t surprise me if they read this forum.

17. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

I'd be interested only in prime universe story set around or between April-Kirk era onboard the prefit Enterprise. No interest in Ent, movie era and sure as hell not interested in the done to death 24th century or beyond.

18. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it was much better as "Andromeda"...

19. TigerOfDarkness

TigerOfDarkness Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wasn't particulalry keen on the post-federation story line, but judging from what I recall of the art samples, it looked like it would have had a nice style.

I'd love to see a Pike era series featuring GR's original characters - I imagine there is a rather low probability of seeing it though.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

So would I, but I agree it's unlikely, particularly as live-action. However, as a series of straight to dvd animated features than it could be a possibility as a one-off feature or something done occasionally.