Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Trekcore points out a planet scene from HTV and CBS Digital and the latter is really impressive.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I think I understand what you're getting at...and while some of the sets in STNG were not as elaborate as say...Enterprise, the remastering actually shows that a surprising amount of sets and props look fantastic on bluray.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I think I might actually have a bigger problem with the thicker plating, even though the extra fatness of the ship isn't very attractive either.

4. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the plating was cool at the time, on my old 480p TV, but now in HD I do see how there could be a problem with it standing out too much.

At least in the extreme close up shots. In the others I don't think it'll be a problem.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I'm still not a fan of the 4 footer, but it hasn't looked as bad as I thought...is it too late to campaign to get a CGI model based on the 6-footer? lol

RAMA

6. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's already a little bit of that. BOBW Part 2 appears to have a CGI shot, and there was a CGI shot in the sampler for The Inner Light. I expect though that when we see season 5 on BD, the CGI shot will be replaced with the original model shot, which I would prefer.

I'll take inferior original over 'superior' CGI if it's available and usable.

7. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

8. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm glad TrekCore has come out and stated that they hate retailer exclusive stuff, because it saves me (and everyone else who feels the same) the hassle of saying that.

That said, I honestly hope people start ripping those Best Buy VAMs to their hard drives, not because I like piracy, but out of concern that Best Buy will stop hosting the videos if they need to cut costs down the line. It would be terrible to lose these bits of Trek history because no one had contingencies in place if Best Buy got hit by financial problems.

9. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

No "if" about it. This is occurring right now. Best Buy's store sales have fallen for the last eight quarters (2.1% drop in 2012)... their stock is collapsing -- it's only a matter of time before they file for bankruptcy, just like Circuit City before them. Overall, the electronic retail industry is looking pretty grim.

The fans (like always) will be the ones who will have to save these exclusives for posterity.

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

So the only stores left standing will be Walmart and Target? Scary!:eek:

11. davejames

Yeah, Best Buy probably suffers from the same problem the bookstores do right now-- people go in there to look around and find something they like.... and then they get it online from Amazon much cheaper.

12. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am gutted that I won't get to see the original CG tests done for TNG just because I happen to live in the UK. I was really looking forward to seeing these, possibly more than anything else that has been unearthed. :klingon:

13. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Relax, they'll end up on Youtube.

14. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Commander Red Shirt

Wow... absolutely stunning. The new screen shots are absolutely gorgeous. If anyone from the CBS-D team is out there. Great job guys. All those exterior shots of the D look so good.

I still haven't bought Season 2. I'm waiting for it to get dirt cheap, if it ever does. Season 3... i'd pay the regular price if it all looks amazing as this, which I'm sure it will.

15. davejames

So.... I guess there was nothing new out of the Wondercon panel?

16. Andyperkins

Andyperkins Ensign Newbie

I don't know what you call dirt cheap but the Italian set is very cheap at the moment, half the price of our local release.

17. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Commander Red Shirt

I just checked bestbuy for the hell of it. I'd call this dirt cheap!

I guess I know what I'm getting soon!

18. Savage Dragon

Wow. That is a crazy good price.

19. Savage Dragon

David Rappaport “The Most Toys” footage will be included in the S3 special features. Link at TrekCore.

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Will this be the most epic release of anything Star Trek has ever produced? I mean you have all these special features, the picture getting the CBS-D treatment and that looks spectacular, and now this, which I had heard ramblings about last week but didn't think anything about it. Man I wish it was the end of April because this Blu-Ray release might be the best Blu-Ray or DVD thing I will have collected. What these guys (And I'm talking everyone involved) are doing with this series (And to an extent I include season 2 in that too) and especially this 3rd Season is nothing short of Amazing.