Not enough space on this DVD, buning problems.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Trekker4747, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Okay, I'm trying to burn a DVD on my computer here and I've now wasted three blank DVDs trying to figure this damn problem out.

I try burning the disc, the Windows DVD Maker icon shows that I'm WELL inside the disc space, the file(s) only taking up maybe 66% of the disc's space. So this is not an issue of "menus and bullshit take up some space too." Also I tried it again after removing one of the files (the disc now to be about 1/2 full.) And I got the same error message about 80% through the "burning process", after clicking "ok" the disc continues to "burn" until a few tenths of a percent away from completion before the burner spits out a now useless hunk of plastic and the program says there was an "error in burning."

Should be noted the program IS saying the problem is with DVD's space not with hard drive space or memory space. (Both should be more than adequate, over 250GB of space avail on HD, and around a quarter of my 2GB of memory being used.)

I'm using Windows DVD Maker and would appreciate any help that ISN'T "get x, y and z, DVD Maker."

I've made several DVDs just fine using WDM and it's just recently started giving me problems.

DVDs I'm using are brand new, standard, 4.7GB/120min/16x blank DVDs.

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I thought we took tech problems to the Science and Tech forum?

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a very common problem with Windows DVD Maker. If you check the Windows Vista forums, there are gobs of threads with this exact problem, with few solutions. The best one I've found so far is to do this:

Open DVD Maker. Go to Tools > Compatibility > Uncheck all filters ending in .ax.

If that doesn't work, fuck it, and download this:
    http://www.dvdflick.net/download.php

It's free. I've used it and it works okay.

4. Trekker4747

EH, maybe. Misc gets more traffic and reaches a wider audience thus increasing the likelihood of help.

5. Trekker4747

Yeah.... no compatibility tab. :confused:

EDIT: Nevermind. found it in "Movie Maker" which, as I understand it, is related to DVD Maker and should have the same effect.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  6. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

This may be completely not helpful, but I encountered similar problems a few months ago (using a different program), and after some research online I discovered how important disc quality is. When using the cheap DVDs I could find at Best Buy, the burning process failed about 75% of the time. So I decided to buy a higher quality brand online and they burned just fine. So, if you can't figure out what the issue is, I would suggest buying some really good discs if you haven't already.

7. Trekker4747

Mmmm. I dunno. I use the Memorex DVD-R discs as I always do and they worked perfectly for a great deal of time there. If I get this problem again I'll try a "higher quality" brand but I don't think Memorex is that low-quality. Anyway, I made the setting changes suggested by J. Allen above and no dice.

So I just simply "saved the files to disc" using W.Explorer. It's a rough, unglamorous and clunky way to do it but it works.

8. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Don't use Windows DVD Maker.

Sorry, dude, that's it. I've used it in the past, and ended up going with other options.

9. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    I found by creating ISO images first and then burn the image to disc has virtually eliminated bad burns.