The Void

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by teacake, Oct 10, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sure is quiet in here..

[​IMG]

And now, for actual content..

Mess Hall

NEELIX: For her third course, luhvian quail in truffle sauce served with roasted chadre kab.
    JANEWAY: My compliments to the chef.
    ALL: Hear, hear.
    SEVEN: Thank you, Captain.
    TORRES: Cream of leola soup, fettran risotto, luhvian quail. It just keeps getting better.
    JANEWAY: I knew you'd been expanding your palate but I didn't realise you'd become a gourmet cook.
    SEVEN: Preparing meals myself is the best way to ensure quality.
    NEELIX: I suppose I should be insulted but everything is so delicious I may just have to admit defeat and hang up my apron.
    PARIS: No, that'd be a real tragedy, Neelix.
    NEELIX: Pinot noir, Commander?
    CHAKOTAY: I'll have another glass of the Chardonnay.
    SEVEN: Each course has been paired with a specific wine. Substitutions are not recommended.

This degustation style dinner amuses me. I'm wondering where 7 got her wine pairings from, it's not like there's a Wine Guide to Delta Quadrant Cuisine in the databanks. I'm thinking the fettran risotto probably had some leek, tuber or other lower key vegetable featuring so as to make it and the Chardonnay a lead in to the punchier quail and Pinot.

Here's a picture of the quail with truffle sauce. I'm thinking Seven got a bit carried away with the poppy seed decor which just makes the truffle sauce ribbon around the presentation look messy. The carrot looks like it's being served to a rabbit.

[​IMG]

I do like 7's approach to hapless diners though.. she's the creator so they'd best suck it up and stop tweaking her vision to suit themselves.

PARIS: Is there any salt?
    SEVEN: Additional seasoning is not required.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

For the next few weeks, they would have been on combat rations... Meat cubes?

"Sigh"

It's almost like Seven knew what was to come and that this was their last meal.

Temporal Prime fucking Directive.

3. teacake

Meat cubes in your dreams. Re-sequenced protein. Protein needs not the cow. And in this case the bean is probably too much to ask. I think they go back to the actual molecules and just cubify and flavour them. Your chicken cube, your pork and applesauce cube, your beef bulgogi cube. And for variety, discs.

4. Guy Gardener

How strict are these vegetarians?

Is it possible that they would rather die than live off meat cubes, or is Riker just an old foogie not completely in touch with the nextnext(next?) generation?

Maybe if they weren't such militant vegetarians what happened on Equinox wouldn't have been such a big deal? Hell would it be more forgiveable if they were eating those space beasties rather boiling them up for fuel, and more importantly... What would be the best wine to serve with broiled space beastie?

5. teacake

A dry riesling. Just gives you that copper note to go with the guilt.

6. Guy Gardener

Imagine the balls it would take to write that on the label.

7. teacake

It would certainly be helpful if you were in a life and death situation to be able to reduce the dead friend in front of you to "meat". But if you already thought meat was murder you'd be pretty much screwed. The ease of being against the eating of flesh in a world of perfectly balanced replicator food that never stomped around on a farm would not equip you well for crashing your shuttle into snowy peaks and having only your dead crewmates for sustenance.

Or to put it simply, the future is even more wussifying than what we have today.

8. teacake

The tang that washes it all down.

9. Guy Gardener

There's a common obvious sexual dysfunction you can recognize in your friends at a bar when there is a woman who is compulsively taking the labels off beer bottles... Of course, once she starts massaging the labels off wine bottles, such a person hardly ever bothers with beer bottle ever again.

10. teacake

But those people are so unappealing, it's a self fulfilling cliche. All that picking and flecking of the glue. When I see that going on I think you're one of those folk that leap up in the middle of an erotic moment to go and brush your teeth.

KIM: Look, this is a little sudden. I was just trying to.. Part of the team, you know? Maybe we should just quit for now.

11. Guy Gardener

The timely pause that seems like a god idea?

It's usually a good idea.

What woman call being a wuss 10 percent of time, men call rape avoidance the other 90 percent.

It's not the 1970s any more.

I can't remember what it's from, but there was this time where a character in tv show or a movie engineered the evidence the following morning after being a perfect gentleman to a woman that he was looking after, so that she would believe that if she had all ready had intercourse with this person once already just hours earlier, that the visa stamps in his passport to her lady business were still valid, therefore she didn't have to discriminate at all because he was previously vetted and sexually grandfathered into her personal areas.

12. teacake

I'm pretty sure that happened to Myka and Pete in Warehouse 13 only it was an artifact doing the engineering, not Pete.

13. Guy Gardener

In that instance, they were both made drunk by an artefact and had to create a situation so extreme that they would have to investigate what they were up to the night before, otherwise Steve would have stayed Bronzed. Also, while drunk they both thought what they were doing was a hilarious.

Marilyn's hair brush was awesome.

14. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Is there a trek equivalent of tumbleweed? I always always get The Void and Night mixed-up. Two episodes set in a black nothingness? What were the writers thinking?

On the repast itself, leaving aside the terrible presentation, the carrot and (I assume?) potatoes look raw; the vol-au-vent case undercooked. I would have sent it back.

15. Guy Gardener

Don't pull a Rimmer, maybe the dish is supposed to be raw?

16. teacake

Those yellow things are baby squash, they always look that cooked and uncooked.

17. teacake

After I went to bed I started thinking that maybe they are not baby squash and looking closer I think they are some kind parboiled tuber. Possibly one to be eaten al dente like Jersualem Artichokes which accounts for the undercooked look.

None of that excuses the carrot though. I can see 7 now.. "a bright color is required to supply a pleasing balance to this dish." Places carrot on plate. Shoving a small dead bird into a vol au vent case is shoddy cuisine, I thought those things vanished with the 80's.

18. BirdInJetstream

BirdInJetstream Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

LOL

I'd almost expected something in matching primary and secondary colours for contrast' sake. And those yellow things: I am pretty sure its raw potatoes, cut in this fancy diamond shape. The writers (or whoever is responsible for these things) thought, that no one has seen raw potatoes for years, since you can buy them boiled. And certainly not such small ones.

If you pay a little attention to what usually can be found in Neelix' kitchen, you realise it is not very exotic. Those light purple eggplants, dark plums, strawberries...
    The processed food on the other hand was always very creative IMO: especially the names. Maybe we should scan the show for some ideas for next weekends dinner!

19. Guy Gardener

Isn't her vision fucked up?

All Anika can see is Shades of Green.

20. BirdInJetstream

BirdInJetstream Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't know. When we saw the environment from her perspective in "scientific methods" it looked completely normal (except for that blur from being slightly out of phase).

Could be interesting to present food in different shades of grey...