J.J. Abrams enters The Twilight Zone

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by HaplessCrewman, Jun 7, 2013.

1. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really hope he does any of the last four you listed. Anything to keep him from destroying any other sci fi series I like after he's done with the remains of Trek and Star Wars (Firefly is almost certainly safe from him, but he could probably get his hands on stuff like Stargate).

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stargate and Doctor Who, of course - although, honestly, Stargate is more than a little bit beneath him.

4. HaplessCrewman

I think we are on the cusp of the J.J. decade.

Do you think someone will re-boot Lost at some point in the future? In 2025 maybe?

5. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd be happy if he stays away from everything, and works on some original ideas.

6. kirk55555

:lol:

Honestly, I hope he believes that. He's never done anything as good as stargate SG1 was, but I want him to pick projects completely based off him being a gigantic snob. I want him to go work with the show that has the screaming garbage cans and time traveling telephone boths. Leave Stargate and other american stuff alone.

To be clear, I like the Doctor Who I've watched (some of the 9th Doctor and the first few serials with the 4th) but I'd much rather have him work on a franchise I can't regularly watch then one I watched a lot of and would take up time on normal tV. Anything he can do that I wouldn't be able to regularly see distracts him from stuff he could be doing with things I like that are more avaliable to me. Simply, the foreign tV show that only airs on premium channels in the US is a better place for him than a show on normal cable TV that would take up time from something I like.

This is the best idea I've heard for what to do with abrams. Let him go off and do his own thing, and leave good stuff alone.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought Bryan Singer was handling the newest TZ remake? :confused:

8. HaplessCrewman

Here is a list of properties I would like J.J. to tackle.

JamesBond. District9. Darkroom. TheSmurfs. TheMuppets. AbsolutelyFabulous. 300. TheOffice. KitchenNightmares. AmericanIdol. Quark. GeminiMan. Ark II. LandoftheGiants.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I love it!

Super 8 was kind of TZish. And I love that film.

Do you honestly believe that, or are you just trying to troll?

Nevermind.

Also... How is a Canada-based series based on a film by a German director "American"?

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Abrams isn't involved with The Twilight Zone. He's producing The Stops Along the Way, the last screenplay Rod Serling wrote, as a prospective TV miniseries.

11. kirk55555

I meant a TV show thats pretty much an american property. I'm fairly certain Stargate SG-1 doesn't count as a canadian TV show. Basically, I meant he should stay away from any good sci fi thats popular in america and is basically an american show, which Stargate (which is owned by an american company and shown/made by american based tV stations) is an example of. Its not about anything being american so much as sci fi that is popular in american and made by american tv companies/stations.

As for Abrams, I honestly believe he's never been as good as SG-1. Stargate had great, memorable characters, both heroes and villains (there were also some bad ones on both sides, but thats to be expected) and a lot of good stories. I personally think Abrams has never done anything good, and definately nothing like Stargate quality.

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am awaiting the day lens flare plays across this beautiful face..

[​IMG]

13. kirk55555

JJ will never touch Firefly. Thats Whedon's thing, and unlike Buffy I'm 99% sure a company can't just make a movie or whatever without his permission. Fillion might get into an abrams thing, but any Firefly will be all Joss.

14. CorporalClegg

If Abrams called Whedon tomorrow and asked if he could do a Firefly sequel, Whedon's response would probably be something like this:

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! Mind if I direct?"

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Abrams should reboot Firefly.

He and Whedon would actually get on really well.

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So is JJ Abrams trying to become the god of nerds?

17. CorporalClegg

It may not be Firefly, but bet good money the two of them end up working on a project together. We'll call it Star Wars: Episode VIII.

If Avengers 2/The Series both go really well, I would almost think Disney would insist upon it. And Whedon is every bit the Star Wars fan Abrams is.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

:guffaw:

I loved the original movie, gave up on the TV series five episodes in because it looked incredibly cheap and was unimaginative.

Stopped in here and there over the next decade and nothing changed.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I like JJ Abrams, but I'm started to be reminded of this quote:

"In the future all restaurants are Taco Bell"

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stargate was a fantastic show full of great characters, campy villains, many many story arcs that were deeply satisfying a huge amount of humour and lots of good old sci fi. It didn't take itself too seriously which set it apart from Star Trek. It was wonderful.