NBC: Jimmy Fallon to replace Jay Leno in 2014

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Lyon_Wonder, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Well being a US citizen is surely not a requirement! Appearing to be accessing YouTube from the United States may be a requirement, if I moved abroad I would probably get some kind of VPN setup so I don't get region-locked on content I'm accustomed to online.

2. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

According to The Five-Timers Club wikipedia article, Buck Henry has 10 appearances and Walken has 7.

Dave Grohl has more appearances than both of them, as a member of both Nirvana and Foo Fighters (plus the time last year where he played with Paul McCartney... 12 total). Although, the jury is still out on whether or not being a musical guest counts towards your membership in the Five-Timers club (would seem to exclude Paul Simon, who only has 4 hosting appearances).

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Shouldn't count unless you're the host AND musical guest. It's not how many times you were ON the show, but hosted it...

4. tighr

Well, considering the genesis of the "Five Timers Club" was an actual sketch on the show that Tom Hanks hosted (and we see it a second time in the Timberlake episode), and that Paul Simon appears in both sketches, explicitly as a member, I would say it does count. Paul Simon has been the musical guest nine times. The "rules" of what does and does not count should get to be made by those who invented the concept.

And Timberlake has hosted outright 5 times; he has been the musical guest in three of those appearances. He also appeared once with N'Sync (technically making that 6 appearances).

5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Doesn't one of the characters in the sketch state that membership in the 5 Timers Club means you've hosted 5 times, as opposed to hosting and "guesting"?

Besides that, the hysterical feud between Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin is all about the number of times hosting the show. Number of guest appearances hasn't seemed to matter up to this point. I think that perhaps Paul Simon was in the sketch because he was in town and has been such a great friend of the show. They made a point of letting us know that Akroyd wasn't in the club and it is a fact that he has not hosted 5 times. So hosting does appear to be the significant stat.

BTW, I can't believe we're arguing what is canon in a SNL sketch. :)

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Right, because Akroyd has also been musical guest as part of the Blues Brothers, doesn't seem to have helped him. Even with that, that's hosting and/or musical guest 3 times total.

Got plenty of appearances, though, counting this one.

Actually, if they were counting musical guest appearances, wouldn't they have done the Timberlake 5-timer bit last time, as that's his 5th appearance? This was his 6th...

7. tighr

I figure its 5 hosting OR 5 musical guest appearances, not a combination of the two. So this season's episode would be the first time that Timberlake has crossed the threshold of 5 in either category (5 hosting, 4 musical guest, but in 6 total episodes).

That would account for Paul Simon, who has more than 5 musical appearances but not more than 5 hosting appearances.

8. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Craig's cold openings -- this being my favorite.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR2O8YLvTYo[/yt]

:guffaw:

9. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree, I think Jay still has many years left to perform. I'm not ready for Jay to leave The Tonight Show, not just yet.

10. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

So, word is starting to leak out that NBC may be looking at a total late night block refresh with this move. With Jimmy moving up to the tonight show, Seth Meyers taking over late night, and...

Alec Baldwin taking over the 1:35 time slot from Carson Daley. All three show slots being executive produced by Lorne Michaels.

11. tighr

There is no way a person of Alec Baldwin's caliber would sign up for 1:35am.

12. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually tighr it might make perfect sense. Half hour-ish show like Last Call, can film mulitple episodes at the time, 1/4 of the work for full time pay

13. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Didn't Baldwin just spend a ton of time doing a half-hour podcast for WNYC? A half-hour talk show makes perfect sense for Baldwin, especially given how close he is with Lorne Michaels.

14. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the impetus for firing Leno was to attract younger viewers to NBC. So they're going to bring in a fifty-five year old guy for a show that runs even later?

I'm a fan of Baldwin but this seems like an odd decision in that context.

15. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not the one half hour format that is weird to me, it is the timeslot -- 1:35 am. That doesn't seem right for an 'Alec Baldwin', as others have said.

NBC certainly could do worse than having Lorne Michels, a guy who has found a way to get an audience on Saturday nights (of all places) for the last 35 years or so, making their late night decisions.

16. Data Holmes

People are thinking that the show will actually be his podcast, which has developed a following. The late hour will allow for more content freedom, and the show would all Baldwin the freedom to take other projects like movies or guest shots on other tv shows...

And remember that after the end of 30 rock, NBC signed Baldwin to a two year "overall development" contract, paying him to basically not work, and that it was Lorne who pushed for it. The thinking was that it was to retain him while Leno's contract ran out, and they executed the "late night shift".

17. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

And they are going to get the younger viewers. But perhaps they're not quite ready to let go of Leno's demographics, hence Baldwin. You're right though that the timeslot is odd for it.

18. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't see how they'd get Leno's demographics at 1:30 regardless of who they hire

19. Data Holmes

Daley resigned for another year, it was announced today.