38 minutes of the film in Brasil - SPOILERS!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by ralph, Mar 7, 2013.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He was all squee & holly shit.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Excellent!:techman:

3. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

True.
    Still seems a bit contrived. Spock gets removed from the position as his punishment, so when Pike gets the capataincy, the spot is conveniently open for Kirk. Also seems to be something of a rebuff for Spock. Of course, maybe Pike wants to take him back aboard as science officer. Who knows?

Let's just say Spock Prime can't be too pleased with the turn of events. "Thrusters on full." Don't think so.

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I'm aware of all that, and I fully agree that he should make mistakes and experience setbacks throughout the film as part of his learning process as Captain. It's just the repetitiveness of the events relative to ST09 that bothers me a bit.

It's not a big deal by any means and won't spoil my enjoyment of the film, I just kind of wish they had gone in a different direction.

5. Franklin

Oh, one other thing to add:
    The problem is it's not even really a mistake. At least not to Kirk. He'll never change that way. It's exactly what Kirk would've done at age 36, 46, or 56. It's just he may have been more reckless about it at this age and with less experience.
    I would've liked to see Kirk defend what he did in front of Pike the way he defended his opinion about the no-win scenario rather than take a lecture from Pike. It would've shown he'd grown and was learning to defend his own interpretation of regulations -- just as he came to in TOS. Jim Kirk got by with some things because despite of what regulations said, "by the book," he did the moral thing in the context of the situation.

6. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

There's no reason to assume Kirk is back in command at the end of the film. Some even think he's temporarily dead at the end of the film.

7. Locutus of Bored

[​IMG]

;)

8. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Allowing for poor translation issues... that all sounds very promising.

I'm not sure the alien world adventure is all that strong an opening for the film. It's what people expect from Star Trek. Like being dropped into the middle of a distinctly average episode. A shame there wasn't a John Harrison backstory type pre-title sequence, to mirror James Kirk's from the first film. But then that would completely give the game away I suppose. Depicting an origin for somebody who's apparently got to remain a mystery...

I doubt he's Robert April now. I mean you could effectively show that Captain's fall from grace at the start, and apparent death... with the audience having no idea the villain running circles around Kirk for the rest of the film, is the same man, reborn or deaged or whatever. Instead it's left as something for the comic to play around with, and not be in the least bit manditory reading. April and what's going on in the Countdown right now, just seems far removed from this plot. He's broken the Prime Directive, but he's done it to protect others like Kirk and there's no reason he'd move on from that, to committing terrorist acts against Earth.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kha-a-a-a-an!

10. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

OMG and where is Bones in all of this?"

A lot of people say Bones has now become a secondary character in JJ's Trek Universe but judging from all this spoilers its like he is hardly even a character at all.

There is not one single mention of him in the 38 minutes clip.

11. Locutus of Bored

He's with Kirk running from the natives on the volcano planet, and has several lines of (amusing) dialogue during that part.

12. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

God it's like getting a hit from our dealer...

"Just a little more man... come on man... I can quit when I wanna!"

13. KirkianLogic

KirkianLogic Ensign Newbie

So basically he's now the comedy routine. Along with Scotty.

I'm not at all happy about these... uhh... spoilers.

(and, yes, first post! hello everyone) :)

14. Locutus of Bored

Sure, if you want to baselessly extrapolate McCoy's entire role in a two-hour film based on the four-minute vignette I very briefly outlined above and the single word I used to describe his dialogue in that part, I guess you could say that. But that would be rather ridiculous, and not what I was suggesting with my comment at all.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  15. LtChange

LtChange Captain Captain

There is only one thing I don't like

the whole chasing scene sounds like what Anakin did in Star Wars II on Coruscant so yet another similar scene to Star Wars. But I will not judge until I see it :D

16. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Two cat girls? Nice to know that female respect has come a long way since TOS.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Yup, cause every chase scene ever in a sci fi movie was about Anakin chasing a bounty hunter. Yup..

RAMA

18. KirkianLogic

How do you know I didn't mean that he's a comedy routine in the first 38 mins? ;)

19. Franklin

For what it's worth, while they were certainly not meant to be in the moment, in TOS and the movies, a lot of McCoy's best rants and sarcastic one-liners were actually quite humorous.

20. KirkianLogic

Sure but he was not JUST a comedy routine in either TOS or the movies.

Granted, I haven't seen the whole movie yet. We'll chat again May 18th ;)