Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Not that I've noticed. It seems to mostly sticking to the shows and movies, so you should be ok. Although if they are not following the novels, expect there to be contradictions.

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I pop into this thread now and again to see hoe the game is doing and I so want to play it again but after the beta it was just all combat all the time not too mention ground missions are clunky.

Cryptic I sooo want to like this game :(

3. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    Pay attention to Season 2, which should be up on the test server now. They've added a Diplomatic mission system with a separate advancement track, and minigames.

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The game and novels diverge. The events of Destiny do not happen in STO.

5. syberghost

Or rather, according to "The Needs of the Many" (STO Novel), they may have happened but been reversed by time travel, so some portion of them may still be true. But for purposes of the current ingame events and timeline, you're absolutely correct, Destiny didn't happen and isn't likely to.

6. syberghost

7. Mjuice

Mjuice Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh OK, I think I'll start playing then :techman:

Thanks guys

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow season 2 is going to be pretty impressive.

9. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

i think the guy said something similar to this: "what i don't understand is how the borg could attack vulcan more than a century after it was destroyed."

so both destiny and the JJverse abomination happened but was somehow averted but the department of temporal investigations. and it was some agent who suffered or claimed to suffer from temporal psychosis. can remember the name though... anyway you are correct. i just thought i'd post the "kind of" quote.

10. AJHalliwell

AJHalliwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

First, in regards to the novel continuity: STO does not follow the recent Borg in 2381 plotline. And Dulmer and Luscy from DS9: Trials & Tribbles I believe are the agents in that scene. I really liked the idea that temporal psychosis can explain some of the discontinuities between series, novels and revamp -- rationalizes having a whole department of temporal integrity etc. Got half-way through Needs of the Many before playing the game itself took over my free time.

And secondly: I've had STO for a week or two now, and I'm loving it! The missions haven't run out on me yet (haha...) but I worry one day they might. Hope the writers make more non-combat missions soon, this diplomatic thing sounds intriguing. And honestly, I just want to run around and look at things like the Symbiont Caves of Trill, run the streets of Shi'Khar and explore Deck 8 section 23 of my ship more than actually go on adventures. I'm lame, I know.

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first portion of the Season 2.0 update is on their Tribble server for anyone who's interested. The new Federation Diplomatic Corps. (dsiplomacy/non-combat missions) includinng the new 'First Contact' mission type are in; and, as someone who originally though 'meh, they'll suck...", I have to say, I LIKE what they did a lot. It's not just 'click, read, and move on'; but click, read, pay attention, beacause on some if you don't you'll fail (but you can drop and re-take the mission); and on others you actually have to make a choice that blocks other options after its made one way or the other; and one has you experimenting to make an antegin in a medical lab where you HAVE to experiment to get the right combo.

They also added 'Dabo' (the game) to DS9 (you can bet EC amd win Gold Pressed Latinum, whith you can use to buy other stuff from a new vendor in Quarks) - plays kind of like a bastardized version of Roulette - but with some wierd rules. There's also a new tricorder mini-game that pops up when you scan resouce anomolies in space or on the ground (you have to 'match' a waveform). if you're successful, you get ore resources, and a chance at 'special rare' resources. If you fail, you get a normal/standard resource drop; and it's completely optional (they are considering putting in a setting that allows you to not have it pop up for those that don't care for it. Again, reading itr, it may sound dumb; biut imo, I like it (breaks the 'Press F to scan monotony; and I've already got to rare 'blue level' resources so far. The items that these new resources are tied to, aren't in yet though.

What's still not in yet on Tribble (but coming over the next two weeks) are:

- More ship interiors (Bridge Ready Room, Sick Bay, Engineering and the Observation Lounge.) And Sick bay will have mini-games for healing injuries on your chatracter or BO from Ground missions; Engineering will have a mini-game to repair ship damage from being blown up on Space missions. (Assuming you play on a mission difficulty seting higher than Standard).

The Observation lounge is used in the First Contact missions, so you can see what it'll look like if you do one. Right now, you just get 'beamed' into it when the mission starts, and you beam off of it after the mission ends; but I think you'll take a turblift from the Bridge and walk down a corridor once te new interiors are added.

There is more stuff, but I'm not RA5 so I haven't tried the new 'special refit' ships or have seen the new high level sector block they added either. And again, what's on Tribble is just part of the whole Season 2.0 update. they'll be adding more as it passes their internal QA testers.

But, nyway, if you do think STO is currently all 'pew, pew'; that'll change a fair bit once Season 2.0 is pushed to the Live servers. (They expect to test it on Tribble for 3 more weeks or so beforre putting it to Live/Holodeck). they also said the do plan to keep expanding the FDC if the playerbase likes what they're doing.

12. AJHalliwell

AJHalliwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oooh, so if you play it on harder -- ship damage and personal injuries take time/effort to heal? I've been trying to figure out what the starbase "heal a crewmember" and "fix your starship" things were for, since they seem to heal themselves pretty quickly.

Yay for explorable starship interiors coming soon :bolian:

13. Noname Given

If you play on either 'Advanced' or 'Elite' you have a chance of your ship sustaining damage when it's destroyed and you have to Respawn. Currently on live you can either purchase ship damage repair modules that you can carry with you (The NPC that sell ship weapons have minor and major repair modules. Critical Repair modules are it's that can drop from defeated enemy nships); or go to the Engineer NPC and pay him to repair your ship. You and your BOs can be injured on ground missions when they are defeated and respawn and the same system currently applies; you can pay and NPC or carry med kits.

Now, suppossedly, the Sick bay and Engineering mini-games will allow you to repair such damage/injuries for free (assuming you're successful at the game when you attempt it.) - But that portion of the Season 2.0 update isn't on the Tribble test server as yet, so exactly how it'll work isn't known by the players on Tribble as yet.

14. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Can we level/grade up past RA5 once Season 2 is pushed out?
    Too bad my Luna class vessel does not have that drive.

16. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

yes, the maximum cap is currently Vice admiral. and your luna class has the slipstream drive. you just have to reach vice admiral to get it enabled. all this is Tribble btw. on holo the cap is still ra5.

17. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

How much faster is the slipstream? Does it compensate for the lack of a still not functioning transwarp network?
    I always thought it would be neat if I could choose between at least the major bases like SB 1, DS9 or K7 as transwarp destinations.

18. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Slipstream Drive lasts for thirty seconds and has a two minute cool down timer. It's as fast as full impulse is when you're in a star system.

As to the Transwarp Network, they've hinted that you have to climb the ranks of the Diplomatic Corps to gain access to that system.

19. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I have not tried Tribble, been too busy in the main game until I hit my limit.

20. Noname Given

That's okay, assuming the testing on Tribble goes well, all this stuff will be on Holodeck/Live by the end of the month (July).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.