Did Denise Crosby Lobby for Sela to Appear on DS9?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Ro_Laren, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

As most of you already know, Denise Crosby (a.k.a. the actress that played Lt. Tasha Yar on TNG) created the character of Sela and convinced TPTB to incorporate Sela in TNG episodes. It seems to me that Denise Crosby could have also convinced TPTB to have Sela appear on DS9 as well, especially during the Dominion War episodes. Has anyone ever heard anything about this? Of course, you could say that Sela lost her standing in the Empire as a result of the snafu seen in Unification II. Perhaps she was sent to jail (or executed) as a result of her failures in that episode.

2. Clark Terrell

Clark Terrell Lieutenant Commander

I remember hearing rumors that she advocated for some sort of role during the Dominion War. She also tried to get a part in Nemesis. I don't know much more than that, though.

3. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I feel sorry for her. She made a wrong choice that's she's regretted ever since.

I liked her as Tasha Yar. I completely dislike her as Sela. She just cannot play that character at all! Zero credibility.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

There's an old saying, "There are no small parts, only small actors."

5. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

She got her wish in Star Trek Online, where she plays a major role as Sela in the Romulan story arc and also got another take on Yesterday's Enterprise' Tasha Yar at least with her voice.

6. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I remember when NEM was still in production, the page for it at IMDB.com listed everyone who was alive and had worn pointy ears for the franchise as bein' in the movie.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that she would call someone whenever something about Romulans came up, but I don't think she could have kept up with the cast of DS9. I do wish she had shown up in NEM, though, since it was the last TNG movie. And it would have supported my own theory that the Romulans were workin' off of the alternate reality intelligence provided by Tasha Yar after she was taken prisoner thanks to the events of TNG 'Yesterday's Enterprise'. Why else would they have targeted the captain of deep space exploration specifically if they didn't think he would become the captain of the most powerful warship in Starfleet?

7. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed all around...

...my memory was she did a "McLean Stevenson" and went off believing she was gonna make movies...

...at least she made a little lemonade...

8. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't have minded some Sela appearances in DS9 but the story never really had an opportunity to bring in her character. All the Romulans in DS9 either called for a character who could be sympathetic, someone who they could credibly invite to a Federation base, or somebody who could credibly collaborate with the Federation.

The one opportunity they might have had was the GQ prison camp with Bashir, Worf and Garak.

Sela's hard to bring in without her being a villain and in DS9 the rommies weren't the villains.

9. Melakon

They could have used her as the "It's a FAAAAKE!" guy whose ship blows up.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never liked Sela. She was a smarmy bitch who seemed to take pleasure in the fact that she basically caused her own mother's death. I'm glad we never saw her again.

11. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She sucked in both parts. Sela was a moronic idea of a character, played poorly.

12. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I didn't hate her, but I can't say I liked her either. Yar was so artificial and unconvincing. Sela could be an interesting character, but Crosby's thin and delicate voice combined with not such a good acting just failed to deliver a possibly dreadful and dangerous Romulan. She was flat and unconvincing too.

Replacing Senator Vreenak - as someone suggested - would be a great loss for the episode. McHattie was awesome and Vreenak is one of my favourite Rommies.

13. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    As much as I am a Tasha Yar fan, I hated Sela. Not someone I loved to hate, but someone I hated due to being annoying.

14. Melakon

I'll guess that the only reason Crosby came up with the Sela idea was because she didn't want to consider coming back as a Yar 25 years older wearing a ton of age makeup.

15. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

Wow, I never knew that she tried to get Sela a part in Nemesis. There was a way for her to be in the movie and to satisfy all of those that don't like Sela... they could have put her in the Senate room to be assassinated with all of the Senators! I'm not saying they had to make her a Senator, but she could have been giving a mlitary report to them or in a role a post-Unification demoted guard! :rommie:

16. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

17. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Denise Crosby was just incredibly beautiful and she could act. By the end of Season One of TNG, though, Yar had been reduced to eyecandy, hanging in the back, like Uhura had been in TOS. She was given trite, almost unnecessary dialogue like "Torpedoes firing, Captain." "Hailing frequencies open, captain." Essentially, Yar lost her importance to the series, and leaving made perfect sense, if she didn't have enough clout to change things, which she apparently didn't.

Except for Sela's rather unorthodoxed origins, she wasn't a particularly engaging character. Denise Crosby also didn't seem to ever get a handle on playing her, either. She imparted a sort of ice queen demeaner to the character, a sort of bitchiness, but it was never convincing enough. It's such a shame because I feel that Denise Crosby was important to STAR TREK's legacy. She helped give TNG its own identity and that wasn't easy, when they were still in STARFLEET, still using a spaceship called ENTERPRISE and still had a young studd in a command position, onboard. But Sela was not the answer to how she'd been wronged, earlier.

Yar shouldn't have been killed off is what should've happened. She should've been offered a unique opportunity and transferred off the ship. Or maybe even resigned to do something important, but oh, no ... Denise Crosby DARED tell The Great Bird of the Galaxy that STAR TREK wasn't good enough for her, so he got his little revenges in, as he may. And I don't think this served the series, or the franchise, at all ...

18. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Or Denise, either, for that matter.

19. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let that be a Lesson to you good people:

Never - OK? - NEVER tell your employer that you're not satisfied working there. Alright? Never let those words escape your lips. Swallow hard and choke them down. Whatever it is you have to do. But don't ever give such sentiments utterance ... not even on your personal site!

20. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

Echoing a lot of the statements in here, I'm glad she never made it onto DS9.

No show is going to have itself figured out midway through Season 1. Sure, she was a bit player, but the possibilities were endless for the character.

When she was given something to do, she was wooden and painful to watch. When she failed at having a movie career, she tried to go back to the franchise she had spited and for some incomprehensible reason, they let her come back as Sela.