TOS: Foul Deeds Will Rise, by Greg Cox (November 25, 2014)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Leto_II, Apr 5, 2014.

1. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really like that cover. A nice callback to the covers of the 80s/90s. I'm really interested in this book.

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Nice cover. Covers have really been awesome this year in general, especially Seekers and Section 31.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Is that an actual painted cover? Nice to see one of those again.

4. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Interesting look for the cover. Really like seeing the maroon jackets on a cover again!

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks for posting that. I got a sneak peek at the cover a while ago, but was sworn to secrecy until it was officially unveiled. Glad to see it's finally out in the open!

6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice cover art. I really like it. I'm definitely looking forward to getting this one.

7. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

VERY nice! The covers have been really great this year, and I really do like this one in particular.

8. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Nice art. Getting excited to read this one. In our household, we are forbidden from buying ourselves anything from November on, so I suspect I'll see this one at Christmas.

9. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Beautiful cover. I love that some comic artists who do great painted work, are getting covers. I did notice that Kirk has admiral's insignia on his uniform. Was he made admiral again after STV...and was subsequently demoted again before STVI in 2293?

10. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

If this cover is a callback to the 80s/90s, then we should have something wrong with them. Usually the eyes. Seems Birdsong (who did a lot of the covers) has a problem (mostly) with eyes.

11. JWolf

I am so hoping for an interesting TOS novel, Some of what we've been getting have been underwhelming (IMHO).

12. Greg Cox

Hmm. No, he's definitely just Captain Kirk in this book.

Does he really have an admiral's insignia in the art? I confess I've never paid too much attention to the costuming details, aside from thinking that the maroon uniforms always looked cool.

13. JWolf

Yes, it is the Admiral uniform Kirk is wearing on the cover. Any chance you could point out this mistake to the powers that be?

Admiral uniform: http://images2.fanpop.com/image/pho...rk-star-trek-the-movies-13224240-900-1135.jpg

Captain uniform: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/bonus_gen/publicity/kirk_gen1.jpg

And here is a chart of the various ranks and insignias for that time period.

[​IMG]

14. Greg Cox

Interesting. Let me look into this, although I see that insignia is mostly obscured by the curve of the planet in the lower lefthand corner.

15. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Movie Era! It's been a long time.

Like EnterpriseRules says, seeing the maroon jackets again on a novel cover is great, and almost brought a tear to my eye, despite one of them being Kirk's admiralty uniform (and yes, Christopher, we still think you're cool, even though you hate them :D).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  16. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I'm not sure how I feel about painted art.

17. JWolf

But the flipped up part of the jacket with the white shows more as well as the insignia on the black strip. Overall, it's rather noticeable.

I do hope you can get someone in charge of the cover to get it fixed. It seems a shame to spoil such a nice cover with so obvious an error.

18. JWolf

It's better then your average Photoshopped in starship that can be pretty boring.

19. Greg Cox

Up until a few years ago, almost all sci-fi book covers were painted covers. :)

Heck, I'm old enough to remember when cover artists used to deliver actual canvasses to publishers instead of just emailing a file . . . .

It was fun and exciting to unwrap them.

(Although I'm sure the artists don't miss having to schlep them on the subway or pack them for shipping!)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  20. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Speaking of starships in general, a few days ago, StarTrek.com also posted this nifty tribute to the Enterprise-A on the official site:

Celebrating the Ships of the Line: USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A