Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. JJ-R

JJ-R Ensign

Season 2 announced! And with a large pic of the cover art.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek-Generation-Season-2-Blu-ray/17450

Coming December 4, with the two commentaries Trekcore revealed and what looks like the next instalment of the documentary begun with 'Stardate Revisited'.

Curiously, there is an 'HD Extended Version' of Measure of a Man, but also a 'Hybrid Extended Version'. If they've found the negative that allowed them to create an HD version, I wonder why we need a hybrid one (which I assume splices in the scenes from the VHS copy from Melinda Snodgrass).

Time for a new sticky thread? :)

2. JJ-R

JJ-R Ensign

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

And now Robert Meyer Burnett is alluding to what sounds like a terrific recent development for the season 2 set:

https://twitter.com/BurnettRM/status/243108521783201792

Incidentally, sorry to just jump in with announcements when I'm virtually new to the board. Hope that's not a faux pas. I've been reading the TNG-R threads for a while and hope to contribute more often.

It's been great reading comments from others who are as psyched as I am about this project. I'm consistently surprised by how ambivalent the Trek fans I know IRL are about this!

3. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Not at all. It's funny though, I was just about to post the news when I hit preview and scrolled down to check if anyone had beat me to it... and sure enough, someone had! :lol:

I too am suprised by the mention of a "hybrid extended version" of "The Measure of a Man." It does seem as if certain extended scenes weren't located on film and they decided to do a (probably seamlessly branched) version with upconverted SD.

And I'm puzzled by the "Q Who?" commentary. Forgive my ignorance, but who is Don Berman? Anyone know?

4. JJ-R

JJ-R Ensign

Good question. I can't find any reference to him online. Either this is a member of the TNG-R team, or the marketing department have made a mistake and this is actually Rick Berman on the commentary.

Burnett did tweet recently that he'd been chatting with him (and apparently he was in quite a humble, reflective mood), so if he was in the studio perhaps he sat in on the commentary.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Cool. This could be my favourite season of the entire series.

Watching S1 is nice with the nicer images, perticularly the episodes I like, but the pretty pictures can't mask some brutally clumsy writing. I'm looking forward to Season 2.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  6. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Its a very underrated season... And while pulaski is somewhat of a mccoy wannabe, shes a much more interesting and entertaining character than the boring beverly crusher. Lots of people hate her because she was "mean" to data, but I liked her early skepticism of him.

7. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season TWO Discussion Thread

The season 2 cat is out of the bag with a December 4 release date. Here's the place to discuss the sophomore season episodes and the hopes and dreams held for them in all their Blu-Ray glory.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season TWO Discussion Thread

Wow, December already? I guess they want to release it in time for Christmas! :rommie:

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

"Measure Of A Man" is likely my favourite TNG episode overall so I'm really interested to see its extended version.

10. JJ-R

JJ-R Ensign

The only value I can see in providing two versions is if, as you say, not all footage was located and they had to create two extended versions, one in full HD with what scenes they cover recover the negatives for, and a second, longer one with some upconverted scenes, making a total of 3 versions on this set.

Providing two versions of the same extended episode makes little sense as far as I can determine, but perhaps I'm not thinking laterally enough. Hopefully the full press release will clarify this.

Incidentally, I'm looking forward to Trekcore's interview with CBS Digital. How's that coming along, FrontierTrek?

11. Mr_Homn

Can't wait to see the glorious HD detail of the Royale and all its patrons with their period piece costumes.

Also, I'm VERY interested in seeing Nagilum in HD. From what I understand they'll have to redo this since it's SFX in space, I hope they knock it out of the park.

12. Biffette

Biffette Captain Captain

I'm excited about the theatrical screening that was mentioned in the article. Hmm, I'm guessing either Measure of a Man and Q Who? or Q Who? and The Emissary.

13. Mr_Homn

A matter of honor, I hope. It always felt very movie like to me. That scene with picard and riker shooting phasers on the holodeck would be cool in the movies.

... and I want to see that bird of prey on the big screen again. :devil:

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

What I'm looking forward to see.

***** Excellent
    “Elementary, Dear Data”
    “The Measure Of A Man”
    “Q Who”

**** Good
    “Where Silence Has Lease”
    “Unnatural Selection”
    “A Matter Of Honor”
    “Contagion”
    “Pen Pals”
    “Up The Long Ladder”

*** Fair
    “The Child”
    “The Schizoid Man"
    “Loud As A Whisper”
    “The Emissary”
    “Peak Performance”

15. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

16. JJ-R

JJ-R Ensign

What do you think the chances are of seasons 3, 4, and 5 all being released next year, as opposed to the twice-yearly schedule CBS initially projected?

Since the team are deep into season 3, releasing it in time for the new Abrams movie seems plausible, as well as a no-brainer in publicity terms. At the pace they've established, season 4 coming out around August and season 5 in December seems entirely possible.

Plus, CBS no doubt would like TNG-R finished ASAP so it can be sold into syndication. And maybe we would then see DS9-R in late 2014. :) A dream perhaps, but it would make sense to keep the infrastructure in place, after all.

Maxwell, did you get the impression that the second team hired to scan and edit the season 3 film were to be a permanent addition? Or just a stopgap to help pick up the pace?

17. JJ-R

JJ-R Ensign

Argh, tantalising! Sounds like you've heard whatever Robert Meyer Burnett just heard. Suddenly the question about three versions of Measure of a Man is reduced to miniscule importance.

And so it's Rob Bowman on the Q Who commentary - that makes a lot more sense. I look forward to any insights he may offer about his more innovative shooting techniques and why they weren't received well.

Naturally I'm not remotely dissatisfied with the extras on these releases, but I was hoping for a featurette each season on the restoration work, covering any new hurdles they discovered and giving us a sense of the progress of this mammoth project. Perhaps on season 3, when episodes like Yesterday's Enterprise and BOBW come into play.

18. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would imagine Season 3 and 4 will hit shelves next year.

A lot of the mystery about the remastering of the sets, schedules and processes should hopefully be cleared up when I publish our interview with CBS Digital next week. They were extremely helpful and candid, and I'm sure everyone will be very excited about what the team have to say.

Season 2 is going to drive fans crazy! That's all I will say. There's going to be no sitting on the fence with this release, it is a MUST MUST MUST buy!

19. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Really looking forward to season 2. There are a quite a few of my favourites in there.

I may actually be the only person looking forward to The Dauphin. :)

20. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

AAaah now I am getting really excited to hear what all the surprises will be!!! :drool: