Rewatching "The High Ground"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Guest12, Dec 13, 2012.

1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

your nonsense is very amusing to read. Please continue.:techman:

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^

I have often wondered if Timo is serious about some of the stuff he throws out there or is just joking somehow. :p

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

With phrases like "life spent not murdering", who knows.

Still, a devil's advocate position is always welcome.

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's just that Star Trek is supposed to be science fiction (at least on some level), but discussion about it typically revolves purely around the soap opera aspects of it. For example this very thread was started because the act of gunning down somebody was pondered from the 21st century point of view, as if Sergeant Devos of the PSNI had pointed her service revolver at an IRA terrorist - while the interesting thing about Cyril Finn's death, morals-wise and drama-wise, was the pseudotechnological nature of the raygun used, i.e. did it have a stun setting or not?

Of course, there's duality to this: the stories are supposed to be about this world, and the scifi element is just a distraction. But I'm chiefly interested in the story logic as established by the scifi setting, not in the story logic as intended despite the conflicting demands of the setting.

Timo Saloniemi

5. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Well, if you're ever arrested, I'll make sure to recommend that the judge sentences death rather than imprisonment.

Do you make any sense to yourself?

Again, no sense is made.

I know you like trying to see all sides, but really, you're straining all credibility here...

6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just your comprehension skills, is all.

Timo Saloniemi

7. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

You suggesting that I got it wrong when I thought that you were saying that executing a criminal is better than imprisoning them?

8. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Enough of the - umm - debate, guys.

9. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

The funny thing is that I actually watched both those episodes last week and was thinking the same.

I never really understood why he killed Yuta. he could just have stunned her. Was he p***ed off that she wasn't what he hoped and expected, that the girl he actually had strong feelings for turned out to be a ruthless killer, obsessed with the clan war revenge thing? Or was Yuta that dangerous that it was necessary to eliminate her?

As for Finn and "The High Ground", there were lots of interesting things in that plot. Very thought-provoking and one of my favorite TNG episodes.

10. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I think the main thing was dramatic license, and I've sometimes wondered whether Yuta's modifications would have made it impossible for her to pursue a normal life if she'd been successful. If her sole purpose was to be a weapon of vengeance, maybe there were no other allowances or the Trilestas simply didn't have the means to create them.

11. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Any Borg drone can be rehabilitated.

They might be mentally scared for life, but again you could say the same of any victim.