Django Unchained--Tarintino's new project

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, May 7, 2011.

1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Does Tarantino really count as a "controversial" director or a "controversial" part?

Tarantino wanted DiCaprio to play Col. Landa initially, so maybe Leo's interested in another shot. He certainly works only with the best directors.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I dunno if he's a "controversial" director but he does generate discussion due to the projects he makes. Like I said and reported earlier in this thread, Leo apparently already turned down a part in this film so the fact that it has cropped back up that he's interested in makes me think he has changed his mind.

3. CaptainCanada

People talk about his films, sure, but I don't think he would be considered "controversial"; maybe circa Reservoir Dogs, but his style has become thoroughly mainstream by now. He directed an episode of CSI, for Christ's sake.

4. Admiral_Young

He's still a director of note and actors want to work with him, and people go see his movies and like them. So that's what counts.

5. CaptainCanada

Which is irrelevant to my original point, which was that it seemed like a stretch that it would be this film that Idris Elba was talking about.

6. Admiral_Young

^ I didn't see you type that in your post about Tarrintino being a "controversial" directory. Sorry.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I tend to agree with you (even though I posted the Elba link). I would have thought someone like Lars Von Trier is more controversial these days.

8. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^yeah him or Gaspar Noe.

9. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recall watching a latenight discussion show on the BBC when Reservoir Dogs came out, they were discussing increasing violence in films. One woman in the audience piped up that we were on a slippery slope and "how long before films like Reservoir dogs was shown on television?!"

The presenter indignantly slapped her down claiming that such a film would never be shown on British network television and that such an eventuality was not only unthinkable but ridiculous. It made its UK network debut, uncut, just 5 years later.

Amazing how fast mainstream attitudes have changed in such a short period of time. It's the same with so many things, all that is required to change people's life-long held opinions is exposure, and when the world doesn't collapse around them they just stop worrying about it.

10. Admiral_Young

11. CaptainCanada

The latest reports are that they may be looking to have Jamie Foxx play the part that has been suggested for Will Smith.

Foxx is a very good actor who's spent most of the time since winning the Oscar for Ray squandering his talent, so maybe Tarantino could get things back on track before he goes the full Cuba Gooding Jr.

12. Admiral_Young

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  13. Admiral_Young

Just read a rumor that both Will Smith and Jamie Foxx have passed on "Django Unchained". Not confirmed yet though. This kind of sucks if both of them have though.

14. Captaindemotion

^ There are still plenty of talented African-American actors out there. And not getting his first choice has often worked out for QT. What if Michael Madsen had played Vincent or Matt Dillon Butch in Pulp Fiction, what if Warren Beatty had been Bill in Kill Bill?

15. Admiral_Young

16. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I hear Tarantino really liked Terrence Howard after meeting him.

17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

18. CaptainCanada

Good for him. Could be his first really worthwhile movie since Dreamgirls.

19. Admiral_Young

20. Captaindemotion

I think Foxx is a better fit for this than Smith (though it may have been interesting to see Smith defy his screen image, the way Travolta and Willis did with Pulp). Looking forward to this.